997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Casey,

When doing the FI....what is the advantage of the X-51 over the standard 3.8L..?

Judging by the dyno graph,if you compare it to other dyno sheests from the past of a standard 3.8L,the X-51 with no FI makes about 18-19 more RWHP ?

Looking forward to hearing from you on monday .

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-13-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 PM
cpturbo is infamous around these parts
You can NOT cross compare different dynos on different cars on different days. X51 is supposed to have different cylinder heads and camshafts, I believe. Not worth the extra coin. Simple mods to a turbo set-up will more than make up for the difference.

Example: If you have E85 in your region, then upgrade your fuel injectors and get another 30-50 horsepower with cooler cylinder temps and a clean motor.

The trick is getting a DME map for that. The porsche aftermarket community actually lags behind both the American and Japanese import scene. There is a paucity of stand alone engine management such as MOTEC plug and play and custom OBD flashing at local tuners.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:10 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
If this turbo 'happens' for me I plan on spraying with water/meth in the hopes it will bring down intake/cylinder temps.
We will see what happens!
Looking forward to the next update!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute

More pictures of the shields being refitted.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Casey,
I am getting tired of saying this BUT it is looking good!
The kit has enticed me to sell my supercharger and try this turbo,even though my charger was running flawlessly!

For the people following this thread,I was lucky enough to get to talk to Mike@Tpc this morning.He made time from his CRAZY schedule to discuss a few details with me and I have to say if he does 1/2 of what was discussed this thing should be a 'MONSTER'.
TPC will be doing things that should allow us to push power levels to a point we haven't seen yet from our cars and hopefully in time will prove to be done safely(as seen by many Cayman owners)!
I cannot even begin to explain what he told me as it was over-my-head,LOL!
I guess I am convinced that this is the way for me to 'KILL' some winter boredom,so much so I have listed all of my existing parts for sale,LOL!
So this has to be good TPC......got it?,LOL

Looking forward to the final results!
And if you are reading this Mike,thanks for making time this morning for me!

Stacy

Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy

For the people following this thread,I was lucky enough to get to talk to Mike@Tpc this morning.He made time from his CRAZY schedule to discuss a few details with me and I have to say if he does 1/2 of what was discussed this thing should be a 'MONSTER'.
TPC will be doing things that should allow us to push power levels to a point we haven't seen yet from our cars and hopefully in time will prove to be done safely(as seen by many Cayman owners)!
I totally share your enthusiasm but a bit concerned about ability of regular non-X51 modded engine to sustain that amount of stress. Porsche did all those X51 internal engine mods not without reason.

But, who knows.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I totally share your enthusiasm but a bit concerned about ability of regular non-X51 modded engine to sustain that amount of stress. Porsche did all those X51 internal engine mods not without reason.

But, who knows.
So, please explain to us why the bottom end of a non X51 is more at risk running boost? Or are you just repeating what you find after doing a GOOGLE inquiry?

Maybe its the carbon fiber airbox that provides all the protection. I'll have to get me one of those.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:27 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So, please explain to us why the bottom end of a non X51 is more at risk running boost? Or are you just repeating what you find after doing a GOOGLE inquiry?

Maybe its the carbon fiber airbox that provides all the protection. I'll have to get me one of those.
Ask for explanations in such tone from your own bottom end.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
On the M97 Carrera S engines there are no differences in the bottom ends between the standard S and the X51. The differences between them are different cylinder heads, carbon fiber air box with 2 inlets, headers, throttle body, ECU software, third radiator and aluminum intake manifold. There are no other modifications whatsoever involved so, everything else between them, is the same!

On the base 997 Carreras, their M96 is very slightly changed from the 996 version and there is no X51 available for it. My source for the very slight changes in the M96 for the base Carrera is Paul Frère's Bible on the Porsche 911 series.

My source on the X51 Powerkit for the M97 Carrera S engines is myself, as I had it retrofitted on my car and possess the complete parts list, checked them myself when they arrived at the dealership and visited my baby while it had his surgical procedure.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
cibergypsy did you ever have your car dyno-ed, before and after?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
On the M97 Carrera S engines there are no differences in the bottom ends between the standard S and the X51. The differences between them are different cylinder heads, carbon fiber air box with 2 inlets, headers, throttle body, ECU software, third radiator and aluminum intake manifold. There are no other modifications whatsoever involved so, everything else between them, is the same!

On the base 997 Carreras, their M96 is very slightly changed from the 996 version and there is no X51 available for it. My source for the very slight changes in the M96 for the base Carrera is Paul Frère's Bible on the Porsche 911 series.

My source on the X51 Powerkit for the M97 Carrera S engines is myself, as I had it retrofitted on my car and possess the complete parts list, checked them myself when they arrived at the dealership and visited my baby while it had his surgical procedure.
I am going to assume you know this for sure and is GOOD to know!,LOL,so Rep point for you!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-14-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:32 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
cibergypsy did you ever have your car dyno-ed, before and after?
Unfortunately, no. I didn't think about doing that and I regret it as it's too late for that now.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 AM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
as far as "cylinder head" what are the major difference?

X51s are slightly more ported?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
Casey,
I am getting tired of saying this BUT it is looking good!
The kit has enticed me to sell my supercharger and try this turbo,even though my charger was running flawlessly!
I'm not a mechanic, so please explain to me why you would do this?

Is it the amount of boost or the amount of HP that is the limiting factor on these motors?

If it's horsepower (which is what I suspect), why not just up the boost on your blower? I know it will take a few extra pounds because of the parasitic drag from the blower to equal the same amount of hp from the turbo kit, but won't the end result be the same?

Just asking... Like I said before, if I was starting from scratch the turbo would be a viable option. I don't really understand why you would take a perfectly functioning supercharger kit off your car as I can't imagine there will be significantly more gains with the limiting factors of fuel delivery and the block itself.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm not a mechanic, so please explain to me why you would do this?

Is it the amount of boost or the amount of HP that is the limiting factor on these motors?

If it's horsepower (which is what I suspect), why not just up the boost on your blower? I know it will take a few extra pounds because of the parasitic drag from the blower to equal the same amount of hp from the turbo kit, but won't the end result be the same?

Just asking... Like I said before, if I was starting from scratch the turbo would be a viable option. I don't really understand why you would take a perfectly functioning supercharger kit off your car as I can't imagine there will be significantly more gains with the limiting factors of fuel delivery and the block itself.

Simply increasing boost does not necessarily increase power. Beyond the optimal efficiency level, power increases will slow and eventually begin to drop. ALL THINGS being equal, 5 psi of boost from an exhaust driven compressor will result in more net power available to the engine when compared to a belt driven compressor.

The amount of boost an engine can handle is far more limited than the amount of power it can handle.

Since all things ARE NOT equal, we'll have to wait and see what unintended negatives and limits this system will produce compared to the consistency and predictability of the centrifuge SC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p