997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I made the step - new 997 in the house

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think you'll ever regret it, Geestyleed. We bought ours November 21 and my only problem so far is my cheeks cramping from smiling so much. That color combination is gorgeous. Of course, I said the same thing (to myself since the salesman was nearby) when I spotted our silver on black. I think that one way to tell a great car is when your first reaction to any example is: "Wow! Beautiful color on that car!"

I must ask though...
So now I need clear sidemarkers as soon as possible
As a newcomer to the list, what is the reference to clear sidemarkers I've seen several times? I should go look, but aren't some of mine clear already?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM
vexed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by simsgw
I don't think you'll ever regret it, Geestyleed. We bought ours November 21 and my only problem so far is my cheeks cramping from smiling so much. That color combination is gorgeous. Of course, I said the same thing (to myself since the salesman was nearby) when I spotted our silver on black. I think that one way to tell a great car is when your first reaction to any example is: "Wow! Beautiful color on that car!"

I must ask though...

As a newcomer to the list, what is the reference to clear sidemarkers I've seen several times? I should go look, but aren't some of mine clear already?
First picture is the US standard amber side marker, second picture the clear side markers.

Attached Images   
Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !

I must ask though...

Gary: the front fender side markers are amber in the US and clear in Europe. In most colors the clear looks better (most think). One can easily replace those (the instructions are in the Owners Manual under bulb replacement). They can be bought from most dealers or from Suncoast or Sunset for about $25 for the pair. Yours may be clear already if the dealer replaced them.

The replacement clears still come with amber lights a DOT requirement and that is fine IMO.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by geestyleed
Thanks guys! I hope I will never regret this decision

It was pretty difficult to find a "good" optioned normal Carrera.

So now I need clear sidemarkers as soon as possible
What's to regret. These cars are fun to drive, reliable and can go from the grocery store to the track without changing tires. Love mine. Don't worry - be happy and drive the car every chance you get. Remember, life's short and then you die. Enjoy the car.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Cayman S 2009 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dadio
What's to regret. These cars are fun to drive, reliable and can go from the grocery store to the track without changing tires. Love mine. Don't worry - be happy and drive the car every chance you get. Remember, life's short and then you die. Enjoy the car.
agree, agree.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
Gary: the front fender side markers are amber in the US and clear in Europe. In most colors the clear looks better (most think). One can easily replace those (the instructions are in the Owners Manual under bulb replacement). They can be bought from most dealers or from Suncoast or Sunset for about $25 for the pair. Yours may be clear already if the dealer replaced them.

The replacement clears still come with amber lights a DOT requirement and that is fine IMO.
Ah yes, "here's to dreamers!" Seems the dreamers changed that in 2009. Or at least in the 997.2 if that introduction didn't coincide with the model year. I checked, and ours are white, and per regulation they have the amber bulb behind. But I checked the 2009 marketing book and it is clear in several pictures tha... uh, I mean you can easily see in several pictures that the side markers are clear. And I also checked that this is the USA marketing book, not European. Could they be using the European models in that book? Well, sure, but offhand I'd say the clear is just the stock offering as of 2009.

I would suppose that like any of the better manufacturers Porsche keep an eye on their customers and see what they consider worth spending money on after taking delivery.

And I agree by the way. They look better. I'd go buy a set if we didn't already have them.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Ah yes, "here's to dreamers!" Seems the dreamers changed that in 2009. Or at least in the 997.2 if that introduction didn't coincide with the model year. I checked, and ours are white, and per regulation they have the amber bulb behind. But I checked the 2009 marketing book and it is clear in several pictures tha... uh, I mean you can easily see in several pictures that the side markers are clear. And I also checked that this is the USA marketing book, not European. Could they be using the European models in that book? Well, sure, but offhand I'd say the clear is just the stock offering as of 2009.

I would suppose that like any of the better manufacturers Porsche keep an eye on their customers and see what they consider worth spending money on after taking delivery.

And I agree by the way. They look better. I'd go buy a set if we didn't already have them.

Gary: US imported Porsches all come with amber side markers, including '09s and my '10 - in my car they were changed by the dealer when I picked it up last month. If yours is clear it was changed by the dealer.

The catalog sometimes has photos w/ ambers (US cars) or clears (ROW cars).

Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Gary: US imported Porsches all come with amber side markers, including '09s and my '10 - in my car they were changed by the dealer when I picked it up last month. If yours is clear it was changed by the dealer.

The catalog sometimes has photos w/ ambers (US cars) or clears (ROW cars).
Okay, I'll buy that. Photographers are neither engineers nor marketing types. This book has nothing but clears, but that doesn't mean much.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM
bic
bic is infamous around these parts
Congrats!