997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Coupe and Cab comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jafetica888
1. Resale Value - Cabs hold the value a bit better
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-vs-coupe.html

I bought a cab since it's a weekend toy. Don't ever plan on tracking it (if I did, coupe for sure). Nothing beats blasting through some canyon roads with the top down in a 911 (or a slow cruise on Hwy. 101).

Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 AM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Find me an example of were a Cab is worth $10,000 more then a coupe in the same market. Not going to find one, in any market.
I never said it would, NorthVan... I wasn't the one who posted that.

Just making the point that the market for cabs is to some extent regional...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:46 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Find me an example of were a Cab is worth $10,000 more then a coupe in the same market. Not going to find one, in any market.
I'm no math major but in this case, don't you need to look at the percentage drop (depreciation) on resale versus total dollar amount lost on resale?

For example, a Cab that sells for sticker at $110,000 that later sells for $55,000 later lost 50%. A coupe that sells for sticker at $100,000 that later sells for $50,000 also lost 50%. So in this example you have a Cab that cost $10,000 more at the start, sells for only $5,000 more at resale but both cars depreciated at the same percentage.

Again, I'm no math major (I went to public school ), so maybe somebody else can chime in here.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoeShark
I'm no math major but in this case, don't you need to look at the percentage drop (depreciation) on resale versus total dollar amount lost on resale?

For example, a Cab that sells for sticker at $110,000 that later sells for $55,000 later lost 50%. A coupe that sells for sticker at $100,000 that later sells for $50,000 also lost 50%. So in this example you have a Cab that cost $10,000 more at the start, sells for only $5,000 more at resale but both cars depreciated at the same percentage.

Again, I'm no math major (I went to public school ), so maybe somebody else can chime in here.
Percentage wise, you are correct.

If you are talking total dollar's of depreciation then the cab has lost $55K and the coupe has only lost $50K

Perhaps you are a math major that missed his calling!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by swajames
I never said it would, NorthVan... I wasn't the one who posted that.

Just making the point that the market for cabs is to some extent regional...
No you didn't, but you were suggesting that different regions had different tastes and therefore different depreciation values. In the internet age, nothing is limited to the region anymore.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Percentage wise, you are correct.

If you are talking total dollar's of depreciation then the cab has lost $55K and the coupe has only lost $50K

Perhaps you are a math major that missed his calling!
Ahahahaha, I'm pretty sure I didn't miss my calling. I'm so bad at math I married a CPA just so I could make sure my taxes get done right

I was going to have her check my math before I posted but she probably would have billed me a minimum of three hours!

Stay dry up there NorthVan. Been pretty nasty (and defitely NOT Cab weather) down here.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
No you didn't, but you were suggesting that different regions had different tastes and therefore different depreciation values. In the internet age, nothing is limited to the region anymore.
Nope, not necessarily, but it stands to reason that a market like much of California is going to generate more demand for a cab than one with a less favorable climate for the convertible. While that may not necessarily translate directly into an impact on overall market depreciation, it stands to reason that it will probably be tougher sell getting a buyer for your cab in a cold (or conversely a super-hot) climate than a temperate one. Either way, different regions do indeed have different tastes and different seasonal variations in demand, and that could indeed translate into different localized depreciation for either the coupe or the cab. I agree that consumers aren't limited to their own market in the way they once were, but, as always, YMMV.

Last edited by swajames; 11-23-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Ahahahaha, I'm pretty sure I didn't miss my calling. I'm so bad at math I married a CPA just so I could make sure my taxes get done right

I was going to have her check my math before I posted but she probably would have billed me a minimum of three hours!

Stay dry up there NorthVan. Been pretty nasty (and defitely NOT Cab weather) down here.
Yes the weather has been wet! I though that Noah was building another Ark some where in the PNW, but I think it is actually NW England. The good news is that the mountains are getting a lot of snow for the Olympics and that unlike Justatoy, I drive my car in the rain. I will take rain over snow any day!

Get some pictures of your wife in compromising situations and let her know you have them when she wants to bill you the minimum

Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Get some pictures of your wife in compromising situations and let her know you have them when she wants to bill you the minimum
Haha, nice.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
I'm not sure if this is a factor...but my it made my purchase decision a little easier with my better half (a.k.a. wife), when I mentioned I was buying a convertible. She would still be giving me sh%t, if I had bought a coupe.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Yes the weather has been wet! I though that Noah was building another Ark some where in the PNW, but I think it is actually NW England. The good news is that the mountains are getting a lot of snow for the Olympics and that unlike Justatoy, I drive my car in the rain. I will take rain over snow any day!

Hey NV, I live up in Upper Lynn. We should build the ark together.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jako
Hey NV, I live up in Upper Lynn. We should build the ark together.
I am in Edgemont, the rain is only half of what you are getting!

The good thing is that we are high enough, that if it keeps going I will have water front property!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
yep. Maybe we can hook up . We visit Edgemont once a week. Delany's, Massage, etc.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jako
yep. Maybe we can hook up . We visit Edgemont once a week. Delany's, Massage, etc.
You get Massage's at Delany's...cool, they will do anything thing there

Old 11-23-2009, 03:43 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I am a cab fan. Best of both worlds and only the best of driver's can probably tell the difference in performance. With a coupe, you're committed to top up all the time. I like having options.

With some minor tweaks to my cab I routinely beat up on coupes at the track I ran Daytona last weekend with some MPSC'a and my buddy in his 997S coupe was getting quite the workout trying to hang.

Not to mention with the ability to put the top down, I can really cram some cargo in my car. Try and put luggage in the back of a coupe!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coupe and Cab comparo