997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Coupe and Cab comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
By the way, I need to give credit where it's due. My wife took that pic. Her pics were actually better than the pro photog that was there! Last year she totally sucked at motorsports photography, but as you can see she's getting way better.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I personally do not like driving in any cab with soft roof on a highway for longer than 5 minutes. if you do not plan to drive faster than 50mph for 90% of time and drive only when it is sunny and above 60 degrees - then cab would be a no brainer.
Not sure what Cab's you have been in but the 997 is actually very quiet. The first time any of my 997 coupe friends jump in my car, they all say that they are suprised how quiet it is and that it's not much different than their cars. Most say that the majority of the noise actually comes from tire/road noise and not above the waistline (i.e., air around the top and/or wind noise).

Old 11-24-2009, 10:05 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Not sure what Cab's you have been in but the 997 is actually very quiet. The first time any of my 997 coupe friends jump in my car, they all say that they are suprised how quiet it is and that it's not much different than their cars. Most say that the majority of the noise actually comes from tire/road noise and not above the waistline (i.e., air around the top and/or wind noise).
I have to agree....!
At 100 mph it is REALLY quiet.....seems there is a lot of insulating material in the headliner!

Stacy

Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
based on your location alone I am not sure if convertible car makes much sense. but, it is a personal thing, all other factors aside. I personally do not like driving in any cab with soft roof on a highway for longer than 5 minutes. if you do not plan to drive faster than 50mph for 90% of time and drive only when it is sunny and above 60 degrees - then cab would be a no brainer.
Yep. Vancouver is Raincity... but our streets are the cleanest in the world. I love driving my M3 cab with top down but needs to be at least a minimum of 14C. No rain of course.

So, if I can keep the M. I'll get at 997 coupe. If not, then a 997 Cab.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Have you been in a modern Porsche cab? I can run 70mph with the top down and talk on the phone. For that matter, I was running "ludricrous" speeds at Daytona with the top down and conversing with the passenger (and we were wearing helmets).

It's very quiet with the top up. So much so nobody can tell when I'm in my volvo or the cab.
I was in a Boxster couple times and it was not quiet at all plus you hear all outside noise, well, it is a personal thing. It was not quiet. In coupe when you close windows you get more or less quiet, in a cab with top up you close windows and there is almost no diff in amount of outside noise. It is not for me.

Only time I adored cab was on vacation in SF where I rented one and was cruising around with my wife. My 997 is almost everyday use car, and in MA it is not practical to drive around in a cab. Not to mention somebody can cut your top as it was done to one member here.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I was in a Boxster couple times and it was not quiet at all plus you hear all outside noise, well, it is a personal thing. It was not quiet. In coupe when you close windows you get more or less quiet, in a cab with top up you close windows and there is almost no diff in amount of outside noise. It is not for me.

Only time I adored cab was on vacation in SF where I rented one and was cruising around with my wife. My 997 is almost everyday use car, and in MA it is not practical to drive around in a cab. Not to mention somebody can cut your top as it was done to one member here.

Somebody can also key your car... What's your point?

I wouldn't want a cab either if it was my DD in MA and I had to drive it all winter. Then again, I wouldn't want a 911 if it was my DD and I lived in MA and had to drive it all winter.

I lived in Boston for 5 years. No way in hell I would drive a car like that from Nov through March..

Old 11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Somebody can also key your car... What's your point?

I wouldn't want a cab either if it was my DD in MA and I had to drive it all winter. Then again, I wouldn't want a 911 if it was my DD and I lived in MA and had to drive it all winter.

I lived in Boston for 5 years. No way in hell I would drive a car like that from Nov through March..
I have an alternative transportation for bad weather winter days. But from hearing into noise from outside traffic perspective, well, point is, if you say 911 cab is much quieter than Boxster - than we have something to speak about, if it is pretty much the same (as I suspect) then I cannot agree word 'quiet' is even applicable there.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
My 997 is almost everyday use car, and in MA it is not practical to drive around in a cab.
As deputydog stated as well, if my 997 was my only car and/or daily driver, I would get a coupe. Since this is my weekend toy, 2nd car, etc. I think the Cab is a great choice. I know there are a few that don't like it, but I think there's nothing better than blasting around with the wind and sky all around you (probably has to due to the fact that my auto passion started when I first saw a 356 Speedster)

However, in response to your statement, "I personally do not like driving in any cab with soft roof on a highway for longer than 5 minutes.", again, I would say you should sit in a 997 Cab going down the highway for longer than 5 minutes and I think you may be suprised on how quiet it is. Again, I would say the majority of the noise at both low and high speeds in a 997 comes from the road/tire noise (below the waist line).

Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I have an alternative transportation for bad weather winter days. But from hearing into noise from outside traffic perspective, well, point is, if you say 911 cab is much quieter than Boxster - than we have something to speak about, if it is pretty much the same (as I suspect) then I cannot agree word 'quiet' is even applicable there.
You should have bought a lexus instead

Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM
You should have bought a lexus instead
Man, I do own one already.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
I've just joined the cab club and all I have to say is that I should have JOINED it a long time ago...

Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
You now know why dogs love sticking their heads out of the windows.... feels great!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 12:59 AM
pic9809 is infamous around these parts
love my 997 cab and drop the top at every opportunity here in HK. infinitely nicer cruising with the top down as opposed to in a coupe with just a sunroof open IMO

the 997s are coupe-like quiet with the top up, they really upped the quality relative to boxsters and 996 cabs

rear visibility is still sub-par but small price to pay