997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Coupe and Cab comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Coupe and Cab comparo

Hi All,

Besides the obvious (soft top) what are some of the differences between the two in a 997? For example on my E46 M3:

1. The Cab is 400 lbs heavier
2. The Cab has 1 sub woofer (ski pass) Coupe has 2
3. Easier to get in the backseat of the Coupe

Porsche 997 Coupe vs. Cab

1.?
2.??
3.???

Old 11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
cab back seat is smaller cause angle of the rear tops, but has more headroom...
cab has sub by passenger feet and coupe sub in back (with bose)
weight difference is listed on www.porsche.com

Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Track = Coupe
Weekend fun = Cab

I was looking for weekend fun. The funny thing is, I am not a convertible guy. I had no interest in convertibles until I started looking for a Porsche. Now the top is down 90% of the time.

Of course it is not my daily driver.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
The bose subwoofer in footwell is great, so not a compromise.
The cabs are a little heavier, but it doesn't impact performance appreciably.
The backseats of both coupes and cabs are marginally useful, so don't merit major consideration in choosing a coupe or cab.

The one thing you haven't looked at is fun factor. Cabs are a blast. However, in Vancouver you will obviously have fewer opportunities to enjoy their benefits.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jako
Hi All,

Porsche 997 Coupe vs. Cab

1.?
2.??
3.???
1. Resale Value - Cabs hold the value a bit better

2. Big grin on your face every time you see the sun as it is straight in your face (I have my car almost always open and it is my daily driver)

3. marginally worse on the track, but unless you really no your **** racing, it makes zero difference (to give you an idea, a professional racecar driver can get about 5sec difference between the Cab and the Coupe on the Nurburgring - a course that takes just under 8mins in total, thus about 2%)

4. 20% better chance to have your car parked up front at the Valet parking

5. Cool factor (for my kids, my two teenage daughters think it is the coolest thing to be picked up with a convertible from school)

Old 11-23-2009, 05:12 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jafetica888
3. marginally worse on the track, but unless you really no your **** racing, it makes zero difference (to give you an idea, a professional racecar driver can get about 5sec difference between the Cab and the Coupe on the Nurburgring - a course that takes just under 8mins in total, thus about 2%)

At many tracks you will need to modify the cab with fixed roll bars to particapte in DE's.

If someone is into tracking I would go with a coupe.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
I looked up C2S Cab and Coupe on PorscheUSA.com, and the weight diff is listed at 187lbs: 3318 vs 3131.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I went with a cab and track the crap out of mine. Top down DE's are awesome. I did add the roll bar, seats, and harnesses to make it all "legit" with the club.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jafetica888
1. Resale Value - Cabs hold the value a bit better

2. Big grin on your face every time you see the sun as it is straight in your face (I have my car almost always open and it is my daily driver)

4. 20% better chance to have your car parked up front at the Valet parking

5. Cool factor (for my kids, my two teenage daughters think it is the coolest thing to be picked up with a convertible from school)
Really? The new price is roughly $10,000 more for a Cab then a Coupe, yet the used price is only $5,000 more, sounds like the loss is greater for the soft top then the hard top.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item3ef9ea7ca8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-99...item1c0e2847e6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item1c0e284838

As for on the track, 5 seconds is like eternity, professional racers look for little things that will shave .1 from there time. In fact Performance Friction Brakes ad's say "It's Quicker .2 seconds or your money back"

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Really? The new price is roughly $10,000 more for a Cab then a Coupe, yet the used price is only $5,000 more, sounds like the loss is greater for the soft top then the hard top.
Might depend on where you live, of course. The market is probably a bit different in year round top down climates than those which get four real seasons (or those like Arizona where you can't have the top down for much of the summer!)

Last edited by swajames; 11-23-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I see you are in Vancouver.
Personally I love the fact of dropping the top on a beautiful Vancouver night.....
Something about the top down,that gives you a whole different feel while driving.
If it does rain.....that is why the top does go up.....you get the best of both worlds.
I wouldn't have done it any other way!

Stacy

Old 11-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I live in northern ca, perfect cab country and I stll went with a coupe.
I was on the fence and I know cabs are a blast but for me it came down
to this. I'm a pasty white guy that burns in the sun. I didn't want to lather up with greasy sun screen to enjoy a nice drive. I understand the appeal and have friends with cabs. I've also seen almost eveyone of them cry when some a-hole slashed the top out of spite.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 AM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I live in northern ca, perfect cab country and I stll went with a coupe.
I was on the fence and I know cabs are a blast but for me it came down
to this. I'm a pasty white guy that burns in the sun. I didn't want to lather up with greasy sun screen to enjoy a nice drive. I understand the appeal and have friends with cabs. I've also seen almost eveyone of them cry when some a-hole slashed the top out of spite.
Never had that happen to me (so far, at least!) but the kind of ****** who would slash a cab top wouldn't think twice about keying or damaging a coupe either. I don't think the cab necessarily suffers any more than the coupe in this respect, some people just have a problem with nice cars of any make (and variant) and if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time you're SOL no matter what body style you have...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by swajames
Might depend on where you live, of course. The market is probably a bit different in year round top down climates than those which get four real seasons (or those like Arizona where you can't have the top down for much of the summer!)
Find me an example of were a Cab is worth $10,000 more then a coupe in the same market. Not going to find one, in any market.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by justatoy
I see you are in Vancouver.
Personally I love the fact of dropping the top on a beautiful Vancouver night.....
Something about the top down,that gives you a whole different feel while driving.
If it does rain.....that is why the top does go up.....you get the best of both worlds.
I wouldn't have done it any other way!

Stacy
You don't drive your car in even with the chance of rain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coupe and Cab comparo