997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Clutch Pedal comes up 1/2 way when downshifting (Racing)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 AM
JMon is infamous around these parts
Clutch Pedal comes up 1/2 way when downshifting (Racing)

While at Roebling Road this weekend, toward the end of the day, I started having an issue with my clutch pedal. When I had to downshift from 5th to 4th going into turn 1 (While breaking real hard) I would downshift (While blipping the throttle a little). The clutch pedal would only come up ½ way. Everything felt like it was engaged. I would just stick my foot under the pedal and pop it back up. It only seemed to happen in that turn. I can drive around normally, and everything feels fine. The next day it was raining. I went out in the rain a few times, and had no issue with the clutch pedal at all.

Can anyone come up with an explanation for this? I’m going to road Atlanta this weekend, and that track will require a little more shifting, so I’m concerned with getting this problem identified and fixed before then.

I’ll probably at least attempt to bleed the line. (If anyone has a procedure for this please send it to me. I can’t find the slave or the bleed valve)

2005 Carrera S

Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
I had a similar problem in my C2S, turned out all it needed was a bit of lube which my dealer did no charge

Not sure if its the same, but you might want to stick your head under there and see where it sticks

w

Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w00zie
I had a similar problem in my C2S, turned out all it needed was a bit of lube which my dealer did no charge

Not sure if its the same, but you might want to stick your head under there and see where it sticks

w
Too funny, most dealers use a bit of lube before they charge you for a small problem.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Have you replaced your brake/clutch fluid recently? You should do it every 2 years or more often if you track your car.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I use motul, and flush about every 6 months. I just flushed it about 5 days ago.
... But I never flushed at the clutch slave cylinder, and always worried about the fluid in the line back washing into the break fluid. (They share the same Reservoir correct???)

Is the clutch slave cylinder inside the housing or outside? Where is the tap?

Originally Posted by adias
Have you replaced your brake/clutch fluid recently? You should do it every 2 years or more often if you track your car.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I had the same issue at the track.

I was told it could be two things. First, the pedal itself needs adjustment. Second, the clutch was freaking hot and sticky. Not sure about the second one but the first problem appears logical. However, it only happened on one session and after that I have not had a problem.

Jason

Old 11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JMon
While at Roebling Road this weekend, toward the end of the day, I started having an issue with my clutch pedal. When I had to downshift from 5th to 4th going into turn 1 (While breaking real hard) I would downshift (While blipping the throttle a little). The clutch pedal would only come up ½ way. Everything felt like it was engaged. I would just stick my foot under the pedal and pop it back up. It only seemed to happen in that turn. I can drive around normally, and everything feels fine. The next day it was raining. I went out in the rain a few times, and had no issue with the clutch pedal at all.

Can anyone come up with an explanation for this? I’m going to road Atlanta this weekend, and that track will require a little more shifting, so I’m concerned with getting this problem identified and fixed before then.

I’ll probably at least attempt to bleed the line. (If anyone has a procedure for this please send it to me. I can’t find the slave or the bleed valve)

2005 Carrera S
Definitely start by bleeding. It is a bit of a PITA to get to the bleed screw and to get a wrench on it. Some say you can do it from drivers side with the wheel off - I coudn't, but you can find the bleeder from there. It is high on trans on drivers side. I found I couldn't reach it without getting under car so I jacked from left rear spot, put a jack stand under the control arm mounting point and slid under. You can get the bleed tube on and use a crows foot wrench (no room to swing an open end or box wrench) but I didn't have one. I just broke the bleeder screw loose with a socket on a short extension, then gently snugged it to prevent leaking while I put the tube on then loosened by twisting the tube to bleed (using Motive bleeder as you would for brakes). I got lots of air, I never have from the brakes - so I wonder if this is such a PITA to get to that factory and dealers don't always do a good job. Snugged it up to stop bleed by twisting bleed tube, removed tube and snugged with socket. Nothing hard except the acess seems to have been designed by someone who never works on cars.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Flushing the line with Motul RBF 600 didn't help.

I spent an entire day at Road Atlanta poping up my clutch. (I'm getting good at it now, but I hate doing that.

I took it to the dealer and they say they can't tell what the problem is unless they pull the transmission, and if it is a pressure plate, clutch, throwout bearing, or basically anything in there it won't be covered upder my CPO warranty. Furthermore they have never seen this sort of problem before. I haven't had them do anything yet....

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Anyone have any idea what it could be?