997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OUCH! Curbed my wheels today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MichaelL
The damage shown in the photos can be readily repaired. They weld in new material, smooth it out and repaint the wheel. Typical price is $150 to $200 each. I have had worse defects fixed for $150.
That`s exactly why I never buy those $1K+ rims anymore. Only thing you get from `em is frustration when they get damaged.
If you have to drive and park in the city on regular basis it is simpler to buy any mono block rims for 300-400 or so and then replace entire rim if you damage it too bad.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 AM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
Thanks again for the responses, I've just emailed Turbax in regards to my wheels. I will also be calling Champion later this afternoon to see what they tell me.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Depending on your location, try (Googling) the Rim Doctor.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by krown05
Thanks again for the responses, I've just emailed Turbax in regards to my wheels. I will also be calling Champion later this afternoon to see what they tell me.
Good luck and hope you get good results. Keep us posted.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Good luck . Send me a PM if you need any help . I'm sure I'll probably see you sometime between this PM and those wheels are fixed .

Old 11-25-2009, 04:51 PM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
Thanks again guys. No response yet from Turbax (perhaps due to the Holidays). I will try contacting Champion on Friday and see what they tell me. I'll definitely keep everyone posted.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MichaelL
The damage shown in the photos can be readily repaired. They weld in new material, smooth it out and repaint the wheel. Typical price is $150 to $200 each. I have had worse defects fixed for $150.
Originally Posted by utkinpol
That`s exactly why I never buy those $1K+ rims anymore. Only thing you get from `em is frustration when they get damaged.
If you have to drive and park in the city on regular basis it is simpler to buy any mono block rims for 300-400 or so and then replace entire rim if you damage it too bad.
I am thinking,correct me if I am wrong,BUT I don't understand your point/logic in this statement utkinpol.
If I damage my rim and it costs $200 to fix(on the high side)...how is it cheaper or easier to buy a mono block rim when the fix is 1/2 price of a new mono block rim ?
If you damage an expensive wheel,isn't it possible that the mono block wheel also could get damaged and need fixing?
For that matter wouldn't it be cheaper to fix the wheel rather than buy another one?
The same procedures have to happen to fix/buy another wheel ...tire needs to be removed and balanced once re-installed.....
Sorry if I missed something!

IMO there is NO substitute for a beautiful set of wheels(THE most visually enhancement for the Porsche)....and IMO our cars deserve them!
But that is just me!

Stacy

To the OP...that wheel is NOT bad at all.....the fix will be an easy one for the wheel repair shop!

Last edited by justatoy; 11-25-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:25 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Stacy, I don't think you can repair your rims. Adding metal and finishing it in can only be done if they are painted. If you badly curb yours, you'd need to send them in, have them disassembled, rim barrel replaced and reassembled. utkinpol has a point that a monoblock can be easily repaired, since it is a painted rim. Big difference.
I won't disagree on one thing - these cars deserve a beautiful set of wheels!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:00 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Stacy, I don't think you can repair your rims. Adding metal and finishing it in can only be done if they are painted. If you badly curb yours, you'd need to send them in, have them disassembled, rim barrel replaced and reassembled. utkinpol has a point that a monoblock can be easily repaired, since it is a painted rim. Big difference.
I won't disagree on one thing - these cars deserve a beautiful set of wheels!
I have already had one of my rims repaired from a curb rash,so I am confused about the "not able to fix them".I cannot even tell you which one was damaged now.I believe the wheel repair shop adds material by welding them with aluminum(to the placed damaged),machine the lip and then polish them.

NOW if you are saying that if I damage them so bad that I need a new barrel,same can be said for the mono block!
Buy a new barrel or buy a new mono block rim,NO?!
I guess I am not getting/understanding it!

Sorry!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 11-25-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Interesting. I'm happy to admit a correction. I've been told by a shop though that they couldn't fix it so that it wasn't visible. Not sure how they could weld metal onto the rim and polish it out so you wouldn't see the seam where the new metal was added. I guess it could be done, but it seems like it would be visible. Perhaps if the shop is really good, you wouldn't notice it that much. Also, I don't think they would use the same material as HRE or others use on the barrel of the rim.
One of the problems with monoblocks is that they are often powder coated. For $150, the repair place isn't going to powder coat the repair, they are just going to paint match it. That will be apparent to the careful observer as well.