997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

OUCH! Curbed my wheels today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
OUCH! Curbed my wheels today!

While on my way to work this morning, I accidently missed my exit and had to turn around. Instead of making a U-turn in heavy morning traffic, I decided to turn into a local street and go around the block in order to get back on the main street that I was on. While en route to the main street (a one way street) a semi-truck decided to make a left off of the main street and head towards me. Due to the Semi's wide turns, I had no choice but to drive onto the sidewalk. It was either that or have the truck completely damage the side of my car. Hearing the two thumps as I went up the sidewalk gave me the impression that I had damaged the side skirt of the car as well. Thankfully it was just the front and rear wheels.

I am not too familiar with wheel damage and therefore do not know if these could be repaired or not. In my opinion and from the looks of it, I may have to bite the bullet and purchase a new pair. If anyone could provide me with some insight in regards to this, or if they know of a reputable wheel repair shop in Miami, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Below are a couple of pics of the damage. Please excuse the poor quality of the camera and the dirty wheels.

Many thanks,

Ray

Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
check with some racing shops or tire shops in your area...they will know who might be able to repair those wheels...I had a small curb rash from a track berm and my local guy made it look like a new wheel (it wasn't cheap at $200) and had to unmount and remount the tire but it was a lot cheaper than a new wheel...he even told me that they can replace missing material on some wheels...good luck

Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Hi Ray -good to see you on the forum . Miami driving is not getting easier and I see the result on your wheels . Gus (your former service advisor) opened up his own wheel repair shop and he gave me a card but I can't find it . I think the name is called Turbax and they fix the types of things like curb rash . I have not dinged my wheels yet but if I ever did I woild call him for an opinion . If you try Turbax and I am not correct I will find out his number and PM it to you. Also -- aren't yoir wheels champion wheels ? If so they may be able to fix it too. It might be worth a call to find out.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Most dealers have a wheel repair guy that comes once a week. Soccer moms curb wheels so frequently dealers bring these people in. Try that first.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
You'd be surprised what a good wheel repair guy can fix.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
here is a wheel fix place that comes to you while you are at home or work, and fixes your rim, pretty cool huh, yeah.... i didn't have any personal experience with them, but a lot of people said some pretty good thing about the company, they are all over..... here is the link, good luck...

awrswheelrepair.com/locator/results_list.php?showonly=US&tab=US&zip=&distance= 100&state=FL&name=

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-23-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: embedded link to commercial non sponsor
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
The damage shown in the photos can be readily repaired. They weld in new material, smooth it out and repaint the wheel. Typical price is $150 to $200 each. I have had worse defects fixed for $150.

Low profile wheels and tires, unfortunately, are highly subject to road hazards. Tire and/or wheel replacement is often necessary. As long as the sidewall of the tire is not gouged much, it will be hidden by tire black. Tires don't last long, anyway. If the sidewall is really hacked, however, replace the tire, it is not safe at high speed.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for responses, they all seem very helpful. Larry, I had forgotten that you had mentioned Gustavo's new business, I will definitely look into it. I will also call Champion if all else fails.

Rvhpno80, thanks for the link...AWRS sounds like a convenient option as well.

Thanks again,

Ray

Old 11-23-2009, 06:39 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Rvhpno80, thanks for the link...AWRS sounds like a convenient option as well.

Thanks again,

Ray[/QUOTE]

no problem.... that's what we are here for.... good luck

Old 11-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Scott997
Most dealers have a wheel repair guy that comes once a week. Soccer moms curb wheels so frequently dealers bring these people in. Try that first.

You don't want to use them, the repairs are hastly done and don't last. Unfortunately he is going to have to remove the tire from the wheel and have them refinished.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:36 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
I can only really echo what others have already said, but +1 on all the above. The damage looks minimal. A good quality wheel repair shop should EASILY be able to correct that damage. I would expect to pay probably between $150-$250 in my experience for a total repair such as yours. Just please keep in mind that it will require, as someone said, the removal of the tire from the wheel and then reinstallation.

Both are going to need material added back to the wheel and smoothed out, so it will not be a in and out process. Hopefully you have some stock wheels you can slap on temporarily while these are repaired?

Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
That kind of damage can definitely be fixed, BUT there are certainly different qualities of repair. I would ask Larry for a contact at Champion or his other big P car dealer in Florida for a good contact. There are plenty of lousy repair shops. Your wheels look like 3 piece wheels with polished lips. Not sure how you really repair those. You may need to have the outer barrel replaced. This will be a $500 event per wheel, but the wheels will be perfect. The other way is to have metal added and smoothed out, as some have suggested. This will certainly work, BUT they will simply paint the edge of the wheel. They can't add metal and then polish the edge of the wheel, I've been told it's not possible. I had a set of the BMW 19" factory forged polished wheels and only noticed later that the edges of two of them were actually painted! Anyway, the paint repair can be done, but you will definitely be able to notice it - especially if you have highly polished rims.
The consolation for you is that with multi piece wheels, you don't need to replace the whole wheel. It still isn't cheap though. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote][I would ask Larry for a contact at Champion or his other big P car dealer in Florida for a good contact/QUOTE]

I might be correct on recommending Turbax (not certain though ) . I could not find the card but Krown05 is my neighbor --well actually I jog past his house in the adjacent neighborhood for many years . Lately I haven't been jogging as much and he hasn't been posting as much so it is good to see him .

I'll check my PM's if he needs me to make a few calls.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch is right my friend, it's a shame...

Old 11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
[quote=yrralis1;2628823]
[I would ask Larry for a contact at Champion or his other big P car dealer in Florida for a good contact/QUOTE]

I might be correct on recommending Turbax (not certain though ) . I could not find the card but Krown05 is my neighbor --well actually I jog past his house in the adjacent neighborhood for many years . Lately I haven't been jogging as much and he hasn't been posting as much so it is good to see him .

I'll check my PM's if he needs me to make a few calls.
I would just contact a good associate at a dealership - Champion(?) They would certainly know where to get a good repair. But, as I said, if they are polished lips, they can't be properly repaired and will need to be replaced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OUCH! Curbed my wheels today!