997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 07:39 AM
rcarpi2 is infamous around these parts
I live by p21s... But a couple of hints here. Remove the wheels compeltely once in awhile and scrub the tar off the insides. Wash again and wax them like the paint on the sheet metal. It'll help preserve them against the break dust and actually makes it easier to clean the next time

Old 11-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Ridleyguy is infamous around these parts
A 'Touchless Rollover' carwash doesn't come in contact with your car, and IMO does a good job on everything but the wheels.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:00 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ridleyguy
A 'Touchless Rollover' carwash doesn't come in contact with your car, and IMO does a good job on everything but the wheels.
Problem with touchless is they use very strong acidic chemicals.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Problem with touchless is they use very strong acidic chemicals.
I didn't know that. Thanks. Unfortunately my choices are somewhat limited. My C4S won't go through a carwash with a track, which I likely wouldn't do anyway because of the brushes. I find the self-wash carwashes which i have been using in the summer don't do a good job unless you also use a mitt (and have a bucket). Other Porsche owners in the garage where I park use a mobile service, but I am concerned about them scratching the paint as they use a limited water supply. I had my paint coated with a protective sealant when new, so hopefully that helps protect against the chemicals you mentioned.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I didn't know that. Thanks. Unfortunately my choices are somewhat limited. My C4S won't go through a carwash with a track, which I likely wouldn't do anyway because of the brushes. I find the self-wash carwashes which i have been using in the summer don't do a good job unless you also use a mitt (and have a bucket). Other Porsche owners in the garage where I park use a mobile service, but I am concerned about them scratching the paint as they use a limited water supply. I had my paint coated with a protective sealant when new, so hopefully that helps protect against the chemicals you mentioned.
Several comments:

- All car washes skimp on materials, so beware.
- Mobile car washes may actually be better if they use the right product, like ONR (Optimum No Rinse), and the amount of water is irrelevant.
- Your paint sealant is long gone. Nobody should pay for that when they buy a car anyway. You need to coat the car at least yearly with another paint sealer such as Klasse Sealant Glaze or Rejex.
- Paint sealers do not protect rubber seals and gaskets. You need 303 for that.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:44 PM
adias, I am a beginner in terms of my knowledge of this subject, but this is the information from the brochure on the paint sealant:

"Paint Sealant for your new Porsche protects the look of your vehicles original paint while providing a brilliant shine, without the need for maintenance. The Paint Sealant will maintain and enhance your vehicles original showroom shine and adds a longer life to the paint on your Porsche while adding to your re-sale value. Provides an 8 year guarantee on all new vehicles against uv fading and discolouration, tree sap, bird droppings, hazing, acid rain and other environmental factors."

Old 11-28-2009, 11:44 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
adias, I am a beginner in terms of my knowledge of this subject, but this is the information from the brochure on the paint sealant:

"Paint Sealant for your new Porsche protects the look of your vehicles original paint while providing a brilliant shine, without the need for maintenance. The Paint Sealant will maintain and enhance your vehicles original showroom shine and adds a longer life to the paint on your Porsche while adding to your re-sale value. Provides an 8 year guarantee on all new vehicles against uv fading and discolouration, tree sap, bird droppings, hazing, acid rain and other environmental factors."
And you believed that? Clean and clay your car and apply a good paint sealant, once a year.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Smile

I didn't know people were so cynical about car dealers in SF!

Old 12-04-2009, 11:43 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold

I wish....Ditto clay, polish & seal.. min every 12 months

Old 12-05-2009, 12:40 AM
I didn't know people were so cynical about car dealers in SF!
Not cynical, just not naive or misinformed.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:39 PM
bwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to allbwiele is a name known to all
I clean the insides of my wheels when I swap my summer wheels for winter wheels and vice versa. One product that I have found indispensable for cleaning the insides is Oil Flo Safety Solvent. This stuff cleans all sorts of things and I've never damaged anything with it. One extreme example is when I wanted to remove the unsightly warning stickers from the dashboard and visors of my 360, I used this to remove the glue residue from the "fine Italian leather." It removed it perfectly and no damage whatsoever. It's a great product to have around - you'll find many cleaning uses for it, but my one bottle has lasted me for years. (No affiliation).