997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replacing PCM with aftermarket NAV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:18 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I suspect that you'd lose the audio display line (center line) in the cluster under the tach (big deal eh?). I presume the fuel info (range to empty) would still be available in the center cluster, as well as avg mpg, but you'd lose the other mpg choices on the PCM.
To me, this 3rd party solution seems good for someone with no warranty left and a faulty PCM that is going to cost over $2400 to replace. OR, someone who just wants a better audio and nav system, with bluetooth etc. already provided.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
997 NB is infamous around these parts
Navigation Module DVD Player - part# 997.642.157.01

I have a '06 997, I am looking for a used or new Navigation Module.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Funny enough, the whole reason I started the process of the audio overhaul was due to my lack of satisfaction with a bluetooth interface integration that was a part of the purchase from the dealer. The guys that did my audio install were the same that do all the extra bluetooth, or nav install for my dealer so there was blessing grandfathered in and my CPO warranty wasn't affected.

Side note & project disclaimer: I'm notoriously OCD about my audio so it is very possible that ripping out the entire bose system and PCM and starting from scratch isn't for everyone, and not a thing to be undertaken lightly. All told, before the final components were left in the car, many different combinations and options were investigated and many a head was cracked against the wall in the pursuit (actually my head, several dozen times). At some point it has to be a labor of love or it will drive you absolutely b%$! f$!&#@!ing crazy. All the best.

-Alex

Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM
jastx is infamous around these parts
thealexman,

Very clean looking installation. Use of the latest tech aftermarket touch screen units with everything seems to be a very viable alternative for 997.1 cars, like mine. Very interesting.

Last edited by jastx; 02-16-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 AM
oebb is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by thealexman
No problem Stan. The list is as follows: Kenwood 7140 head unit
Audison LRx 6.9 amp
Hertz Mille 165 System Speakers
JL Audio W6 subwoofers (2)

Soundwaves (who did my install) chose the appropriate size speakers from the Mille 165 line for the doors, dash, and rear. I need to find the box to get the exact size, as I don't recall off the top of my head what all was used. All told it was 7 speakers up front and 2 in the back plus the 2 subs. Hope this helps.

-Alex
Seems to be a very nice installation. Do you have any pictures of the subwoofers installed?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
Thanks for the compliments guys. As soon as the current snowstorm cuts off I'll snap some pictures of the subwoofer install that they did. They did a wicked clean job, It's ported on the top instead of behind the seats like the bose unit. from an acoustical standpoint, it adds depth and air to the sound as it's not covered by the back seat. You're also catching reflection off the rear window. Pics will come soon...promise. haha

-Alex

Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
mdrobc13 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I suspect that you'd lose the audio display line (center line) in the cluster under the tach (big deal eh?). I presume the fuel info (range to empty) would still be available in the center cluster, as well as avg mpg, but you'd lose the other mpg choices on the PCM.
To me, this 3rd party solution seems good for someone with no warranty left and a faulty PCM that is going to cost over $2400 to replace. OR, someone who just wants a better audio and nav system, with bluetooth etc. already provided.
Did it in an 2009 Boxster that came without PCM. Search on this forum under my name for post for pics. Install came out clean for a shop that I regularly use and which did my previous 996. How your car turns out is VERY dependant on the shop and expertise of your installer. You do loose your audio line in the tach/central display and multifunction controls If you have them (can be added with proper interface and module am told). My car retained mpg and all other menu choices in the central/tach display but for example my car had bluetooth OEM so I didn't get phone book and call info thru this display either. But it worked great...had a Pioneer BT-910 AVIC unit. Nice unit.
Originally Posted by jastx
thealexman,

Very clean looking installation. Use of the latest tech aftermarket touch screen units with everything seems to be a very viable alternative for 997.1 cars, like mine. Very interesting.
Yes for 997.1 and 997.2 cars.

Originally Posted by thealexman
Thanks for the compliments guys. As soon as the current snowstorm cuts off I'll snap some pictures of the subwoofer install that they did. They did a wicked clean job, It's ported on the top instead of behind the seats like the bose unit. from an acoustical standpoint, it adds depth and air to the sound as it's not covered by the back seat. You're also catching reflection off the rear window. Pics will come soon...promise. haha

-Alex
Looks great from the pics. Like you said and have noted/inferred; its the quality of the installer and level of training. Get a good guy/shop and you're good to go. But it is a less expensive option than PCM retrofit for sure. My job cost me about $1200 total for equipment and installation!

Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
One other thing to consider, as Mdrobc13 touched on... In my opinion, the more features your PCM has at the outset of the process, the less viable going aftermarket becomes. My PCM was basically bare bones, so it was a very easy move to make. For those that have log books, multi-disc changers, etc. I would recommend sleeping on the idea for a few days longer than I did.

-Alex

p.s. it's sunny in Boston today, subwoofer pics coming up.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM
gleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to beholdgleek48 is a splendid one to behold
Reputable Installers in Colorado

I am thinking of the PCM switchout and wanted to know if anyone had any direct and positive experience with Audio installers in the Colorado area (preferably Denver and preferably experience with a 997.1)?

Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
superman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nicesuperman77 is just really nice
let me know how it goes

Old 11-21-2013, 02:53 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I know this is an old thread. I also know I did this on my own car 5 years ago, but I can't remember. Now, I have another '06 C2S. I wish I had a better memory. Do you lose traction control on/off capability when you swap out the head unit for aftermarket?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM
IbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to beholdIbanezGod is a splendid one to behold
Old Thread, but i'm in this position now and looking to replace the PCM in my 2007 Turbo. Had Bose unit.

Anyone have any updates or suggestions on replacements that include Navigation, BT, USB, BT Audio, Sirius/XM, CD?

Any suggestions on sponsors here that would be a good source of help?

I contacted Crutchfield... their response..

-So replacing the radio in this vehicle is not an easy task.
-We do not have an installation kit to make a new radio an easy fit.
-If you want to replace the radio you'll need to fabricate a custom install bracket and you may have to modify your existing dash panel.
-The wiring is also a challenge as you'll have to hardwire all the connections and bypass the Bose amp system by running new wire speaker wire to each speaker.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 AM
dave-t is infamous around these parts
Check out this link below:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...vic-120bt.html

The link is information and a contact to get the Eurospeed adapter for Bose system. Loi Should be able to help you out and get you what you need to do the job. A lot of members on Planet 9 have done this mod.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Rob_G is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by IbanezGod
Old Thread, but i'm in this position now and looking to replace the PCM in my 2007 Turbo. Had Bose unit.

Anyone have any updates or suggestions on replacements that include Navigation, BT, USB, BT Audio, Sirius/XM, CD?

Any suggestions on sponsors here that would be a good source of help?

I contacted Crutchfield... their response..

-So replacing the radio in this vehicle is not an easy task.
-We do not have an installation kit to make a new radio an easy fit.
-If you want to replace the radio you'll need to fabricate a custom install bracket and you may have to modify your existing dash panel.
-The wiring is also a challenge as you'll have to hardwire all the connections and bypass the Bose amp system by running new wire speaker wire to each speaker.

Thanks
I believe there is "Del Rey Customs" that sells kits for our cars. I think I remember him talking about the latest Pioneer that has the Carplay feature for iPhones. If you're going to integrate the headunit with your Bose system then you will need a MOST/HUR 997 which by itself runs about $650. The other popular options are the Kenwood and Alpine headunits. Del Rey has the bezels and I think will even add the Porsche splash screen (but there is a DIY out there for that too). I hope that helps.