997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Grrrrr... Hit a kerb.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
swajames is infamous around these partsswajames is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Grrrrr... Hit a kerb.

Nudged a higher than normal kerb at low speed while parking in the Black Friday malaise today... First ever damage to the car

Anyway, the net result is some scrapes right on the very bottom of the forward facing part of front bumper. They're down to the primer. Anyone know if it's easy to get these repainted, and if so what the likely cost might be? And anyone know of a good repair shop here in the Bay Area?

thanks guys

Old 11-27-2009, 05:24 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Can you post a pic ? It can make the advice easier.
Nick or scrape can be touched up if small.
Underneath bumper but not highly visual --best to leave alone until you really whack it someday .

Highly visual and extremely annoying -- paint the bumper . I don't know how much it costs.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Can you post a pic ? It can make the advice easier.
Nick or scrape can be touched up if small.
Underneath bumper but not highly visual --best to leave alone until you really whack it someday .

Highly visual and extremely annoying -- paint the bumper . I don't know how much it costs.
Will do. Back in 10 minutes!

Old 11-27-2009, 05:35 PM
sorry for the poor pic, all I had was the blackberry camera...
Hope this helps - thanks again.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2009, 05:48 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
I feel your pain and I understand how much this sucks. Unfortunately, your option to fix that is to have the entire front bumper painted, which for a decent job would run probably about $400-500. The other option would be to get some touch up paint and just fill in the areas that are down to the primer and just live with it. It won't be perfect and you will see it up close, but from about 4-5 feet away, you probably could not even tell. Just wait for it to get beat up some more, before paying the bucks to paint it.

I know how this feels and the dilemma it poses as you probably want it looking the best.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
That might be a touch up candidate as a temporary fix . Then you decide at the next big service interval if you want to do the paint . I wrestled with my Turbo lip which is extremely low -most Turbo owners have creamed theirs more than once and Porsche makes it in plastic --but Techart is a painted lip.

Look at the car from the front- It's not visible (1st pic)
Look at the underneath angle and you see the scrape (2nd pic) .

In your case its visible but not necessarily bad enough where a touch up might not be alble to cover it to the naked eye . It leaves the repair open to a future date if the bumper is damaged worse .

Attached Images   
Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think I may try a touch up in the short term. It's not super-bad to look at, but as all of you guys know, when you know it's there you can't help but keep looking at it...

Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I say you should touch it up, it might happen again. Murphy's law would say it would be on the way home from the body shop if you got it repainted. I know you may not like this statement, but it is just a car.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:37 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Time for the aerokit/GT3 front bumper! A bit more at $1300 plus paint and install, but a cool different look.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by swajames
Nudged a higher than normal kerb at low speed while parking in the Black Friday malaise today...
Fell your pain man. I would paint is since your car is so dark. It would annoy me a lot although you can always choose to approach the car from the better side.

I'm sorry, but your first sentence reminds me of how I, on repeated occasions, informed my parents of a mishap.

Still for you.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Time for the aerokit/GT3 front bumper! A bit more at $1300 plus paint and install, but a cool different look.
Now that is right way to think. Make the lemonade.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I can't tell from the pic if that's the lower front piece, but if it is, why not get some vinyl cut in matte black for $50. For that price you'll get a few extras, too. Could look cool, like the spoiler extension lip on the GT3.
CATTMAN

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
glad to hear many of us are in same boat. So where can I get some of this vinyl matte black stuff ? I have the front bumper wrapped but I have a scrape that is just outside that area, on the bottom.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:45 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
Originally Posted by skizot
I feel your pain and I understand how much this sucks. Unfortunately, your option to fix that is to have the entire front bumper painted, which for a decent job would run probably about $400-500. The other option would be to get some touch up paint and just fill in the areas that are down to the primer and just live with it. It won't be perfect and you will see it up close, but from about 4-5 feet away, you probably could not even tell. Just wait for it to get beat up some more, before paying the bucks to paint it.

I know how this feels and the dilemma it poses as you probably want it looking the best.
skizot, sorry for going off topic, but what wheels are those, look good... thx

Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It may be off topic but - THE THREAD IS THREE YEARS OLD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Grrrrr... Hit a kerb.