997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bumper Protectors for Parking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
FI Flyer is infamous around these parts
Bumper Protectors for Parking

What is the best device for protecting bumpers while parking?

I live in New York and park my car in a public garage. Many people using the garage (including me) use various types of bumper protectors. There are two main types:

• Fabric covered pads that wrap around the bumpers and hook on the edges of the wheel wells
  • Rubber 'flaps' that are secured with straps that fit under the hood or trunk lid (Bumper Buddy etc.)

There may be other devices of which I am unaware.

The fabric covered pads work well but are bulky to carry when not in use. The rubber flaps are thinner and smaller and therefore more compact but I don't know how well they protect the bumpers and i worry that putting the straps under the front and back hood lids may damage the lids (aluminum) and/or the seals. I suppose there is also a minor risk that they will damage the paint.

What is your experience and advice.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Never seen those. Can you post some photos?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FI Flyer
What is the best device for protecting bumpers while parking?

I live in New York and park my car in a public garage. Many people using the garage (including me) use various types of bumper protectors. There are two main types:

What is your experience and advice.
my experience from parking for 3 years in Boston - work creatively with bodyshop and get new bumpers after old ones will be scratched into oblivion.
all those protectors work only when you park, they do nothing when other people mindlessly bump your car. Plus any of those things will ruin 911 lines.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't park on the street so the only time that I use the bumper protectors is when I leave my car in the garage near my home. As for ruining the lines, I take the bumper pads off when I leave the garage. The problem with the pads that I have is that they take up a considerable amount of my car's limited storage space when I stow them. (Also the hooks that secure them to the wheel wells are none too secure.)

Last edited by FI Flyer; 12-02-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
jimny is infamous around these parts
Same problem here. If you look at most of these bumper sites, they seems to be targeting us, NYC dewellers. Here is an example of the product for those that are curious.

http://www.bumperblocker.com/

Basically valet garage parking is the norm in the city vs parking on the streets or self park garages. These valets are not careful with bumpers and will scratch and dent them. You need to bring protection to park in NYC... I have used the bumper buddy for my M3 which has a normal trunk but with the rear engine setup of the 911 I need to go the bumper clip route... Same issues I have with it as you do, pads take up lots of limited trunk space and are not secure enough. I am afraid they will fall off while the valet parks the car...

I still have not come up with any good ideas yet other than tipping well and building a relationship with the valet guys so they will take care of the car. It would be difficult with large garages with a big staff...

Old 12-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Two sites that show the various bumper protectors available are:

http://www.bumperpad.com/

and

http://www.eurobumperguard.com/

As I wrote an earlier message, if there are other options, I'd like to know about them. (And, of course, how well they work.)

Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Unfortunately, utkinpol's somewhat cynical post is awfully good. Your local PCA club (you don't need to be a member) will have many recommendations on decent Porsche body shops that can do an acceptable repair job on scratches, gouges, and abrasions. As you and I and every fine car owner already knows, you can not park in any public place without significant risk; sadly it is a realistic potential cost of ownership. On my car I would forego the cumbersome, time consuming covers and realize that I might incur a repair bill.