997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AWE/Sharkwerks bypass OR FVD centre delete mufflers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 AM
964RS_NGT is infamous around these parts
AWE/Sharkwerks bypass OR FVD centre delete mufflers?

The bypass/cross over pipes from AWE and Sharkwerks are known and appretiated by many around here. Now I found these mufflers made by FVD that completely deletes the centre section by connecting each cat directly to the nearest muffler through what looks like a 180 deg bend.
They claim up to 15PS/15Nm with 10kg weight reduction (~22 lbs). I don't know if this is with or without a retune of the ECU though.
An additional feature of these mufflers are a sound switch, similar to the OEM PSE.
http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...C-4x-90mm.html

Any opinions or experiences of these? Neglect the price difference, I'm mostly interested in the functional aspects and if it's likely that they will deliver what's advertised. My impression is that European tuners usually are on the conservative side when publishing power gains. I don't know much about FVD, but noticed that their regular mufflers, that keeps the centre section, are said to gain 5PS.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2009, 05:39 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
A thought here. (could be way off base).

Its possible those are OEM PSE mufflers that have just been re-routed w/o the center exhaust?
One thing I seem to believe is, that these cars have a better HP gain if the exhaust can have a longer track to flow on. I think thats why these X-Pipe configurations by places like Fabspeed and Sharkwerks are showing the gains.

With that being said. Something makes me think that once you come of "our" short headers, the exhaust is making such tight turns that a potential HP loss is missed? (Just a thought, but seems to make sense)

BobR

Old 12-03-2009, 08:39 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
KaamaCat, Fabspeed is the only company right now offering a X pipe...were the exhaust gases are allowed to merge/crossover with each other. The AWE and Sharkwerks crossover pipes do not merge. There was a bg controversy on these boards a few months ago about if a true X pipe (Fabspeed) really works on a flat 6 engine. Nothing was ever proved one way or the other with Fabspeed claiming a huge gain in power and AWE claiming a loss in power with the X pipe prototype they built.

That FVD muffler is a great idea. FVD is a quality company. I can tell you that with the stock mufflers and a cross over pipe like AWE/Sharkwerks (again these do not merge the exhaust flow) there is not much change in sound. To me just the center muffler delete with stock side mufflers still sounds stock. The stock mufflers are pretty clogged up.

Another cool idea is the Rennsport-1 center muffler. This deletes the 2 heavy side mufflers and uses a single center muffler much like the Cup cars use.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I'm actually out of stock on ours so if it's a rush for sure try out some of the alternatives. On the louder side the Rennsport1 looks nice as well FYI.

PS I'll have more made by next week I think

Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 AM
964RS_NGT is infamous around these parts
Ok, thanks for the replies!

Was a bit concerned about the 180 bend after the cat with these FVD mufflers. The cross over pipes also turns the exhaust gas ~180 deg in total, but spread out over a greater distance.

And yes, the RS1 is an attactive option weight wise but might be too loud. Any drone or resonace with this one? What about performance gains?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Pleasure and for the guys wanting/waiting on ours we'll be ready to ship the next batch out Monday Ta!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:37 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Very happy with my SharkWerks bypass. Have had it on the car for almost a year now - no issues. Civil, but nice deep tone. Sounds great on the track. Car is in right now for 997 "Pan Americana" roll bar, GT2 Sport Bucket Seats, Schroth Profi 6-H belts, SharkWerks Fire Extinguisher / mount, OEM Short Shift Kit, and Softronic for 997.2 DFI engine (93 octane).

Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM
ChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud of
Sounds awesome Ron. Please post an update and pics once you've completed the mods!

Old 04-03-2010, 09:43 AM
tri
tri is infamous around these parts
Sorry for bringing this post back. Does anyone know if there is a performance or design difference (tubing diameter and material) between the AWE and Sharkwerks crossover pipes? The only difference is see is the finish and the CA sales tax that I have to pay since I'm in CA. Thanks in advance.