997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sin911
What I don't get is I saw some spy photos, the rear of the car is apparently longer than the current model & the rear wheels seem to stay the same. So if the engine is sticking further in the back how is the handling supposed to be better? Will somebody please explain?

Here's a link to the spy photos:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...yshots-230109/
The worst and most probable thing to suspect is what they decided to go with same frame for all Porsche cars - new boxster, new that initial model, sportster or whatever it will be, and 911.
otherwise I would see no reason at all to play with physical dimensions of a perfect 911 model. it was in some of the articles that they wanted to use same chassis for all porsches - so, here it is, apparently. I also though almost immediately - so, what, 911 now will become middle-engine concept car?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Jalbrah is infamous around these parts
It is human nature (especially for enthusiasts like us) to want the "next best thing". Most of us spend hours a week looking at cars online, reading various publications, etc... we will get brainwashed at some point and will think about switching... I parked my car next to 997.2 last weekend, and yes the thought of getting in a newer 911 crossed my mind.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by utkinpol
The worst and most probable thing to suspect is what they decided to go with same frame for all Porsche cars - new boxster, new that initial model, sportster or whatever it will be, and 911.
otherwise I would see no reason at all to play with physical dimensions of a perfect 911 model. it was in some of the articles that they wanted to use same chassis for all porsches - so, here it is, apparently. I also though almost immediately - so, what, 911 now will become middle-engine concept car?
I certainly hope not. Personally, I don't think that I would purchase a mid-engine 911, nor do I think that many Porsche fanatics would either. Not that there's anything wrong with a mid-engine sports car, I just dont think it would go over well with 911 fans/clients. Porsche has always praised the 911 as being the sports that car that everyone said would never work (largely due to its weight distribution). IMO, the innovations that have been brought forth with a rear engined sports car like the 911 are too great to put to a halt so that Porsche could manufacture all its cars on the same chasis. But I could be wrong, it may be too soon to tell. I guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
reewrd is infamous around these parts
i think a well kept porsche is timeless, look at a nice 356, or any clean 911 - so take care of it, and it will always be nice car. i saw a very clean 86 930 the other day at a stoplight, and the car was beautiful.

but no matter how clean that '86 930 is, the bottom line is today's technology has left that car in the dust. heck i think even a 997 non s is faster than that 930.

so, yes, the 991 will be more advanced, and so will the 911s that succeed it. the 997 models will continue falling in value, they are just cars which depreciate like any other. i think the biggest thing the 997s have going against them (and i own one) is that 05, 06, and 07 cars were built during an economic boom. while they are great cars, there are a lot of them. the 09 and 10 models might hold their value better due to lower production numbers.

i won't cling to my car, it's just a toy -- the funnest part for me is thinking about what my next one will be.

also, for me, only design is timeless, technology is not. older technology can be cool and quirky, but not timeless. lets face it, like us, these cars are only getting older, and at some point they break, and you will have to make a decision about if you want to put more money into the car - or just go get a new one. of course being a porsche, that might take a while, but that day will come for every car.

at the end of the day if your car's design and technology makes you happy, then that's all that matters.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by reewrd
i think a well kept porsche is timeless, look at a nice 356, or any clean 911 - so take care of it, and it will always be nice car. i saw a very clean 86 930 the other day at a stoplight, and the car was beautiful.
I had a chance to co-ride in '76 NA race prepped car which had highly modded original engine, a tons of new technology for $200K+ which all resulted in 350+ somewhat horses, and it was faster than '07 GT3 RS. So, I guess it is all relative.

Plus even on regular auto-x there are plenty of old 996 cars that beat new 997 cars, despite of 'S' or 'non-S' status.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
I have been still looking for a 997.2 but may wait for the model change.
Seeing 997.2 C4S cabs with 4k miles going for 90k, not with great options ,but 5 months ago I almost paid 109k..

At what point is it enough to switch...? PDK is something that inspired me to sell my 997.1 because I had a TIP and drove PDK and said this is a very big change. So I am looking for a deal and the right car..not in any rush..

These cars are so fast, got to drive my friends 997TT while he was out of town..sheesh..nothing good could come from that much power My next one will be my last one for a while...others will always trade "up" and Porsche knows how to hook us just when we think we bought our last one. The 0 to 60 game has pretty much reached it's peak...we should all just be happy with what we got but all of us will be on this board for hours looking for counseling from our peers to help us deal with the trade up scenario when the new models arrive...here we go again.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
not for me.

RS is a keeper, club coupe likely also be a keeper...

Old 12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Intresting points -

1) The guys who cycle two years behind -- this makes a lot of sense . There's some great aspects the first owner takes depreciation. There is this excitement of driving off in a brand new car and that seems to bite me .

2) Buyer's impulse --I read a lot of posts where some really sounded firm on avoiding the financial tidal wave of the new car . I know that feeling well . When I had my 996 I firmly said it was my last Porsche UNTIL I saw the 997 . I didn't spec a car . I said no way . The first day of the launch .. it must have been 10 minutes before I knew i would buy one.

3) I agree with Northvan that the 997 is beautiful . I also agree with Sin911 that change is not always good. But what if the new one is even more beautiful and the change is amazing ? There is always that possibility . It won't make the 997 any less beautiful but it also won't make the 991 any less justifiable as it comes with 4 years warranty, a clean slate of miles , along with increased performance .

4) Technology -I hope that Porsche does not take the same path as BMW where the engine and body style can not change as rapidly as the technology . This results in high depreciation and an early dated car .

5)The "once in a lifetime" purchase -- LOL --I think there's a little bit of that logic in every Porsche sold . Some logic has to justify the expensive purchase. If this 09 is your first Porsche .. you will come to terms with those feelings in time . My guess is it will be when you are pinching yourself after you just bought another Porsche .

6) As for myself -- I don't know what i will do . I am somewhat torn between the choices . Part of me realizes that in order to affor a new Turbo I wiild have to sell mine and I can't bring myself to do it . I considered selling my white car and driving my Turbo daily but I can't bring myself to do that either . I simply have invested too much into my Turbo to take it to the mall or supermarket ever.

So --I will keep both my cars and wait . When the new car comes out I will make a choice and by then the BMW might have uber high miles too. The only thing I know for sure is that i won't sell my Turbo . The rest leaves me confused and in "wait and see the new car" mode.

Also --usually the journalists are a little ahead of themselves . Often if they say a car is due in one year it actually arrives a year later . They are timing things better though thse days so even the timeline leaves a lot of guessing but if they are right and 2011 brings the new car .. that is real soon.

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-08-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
not for me.

RS is a keeper, club coupe likely also be a keeper...
Yeah Baby! Strip the interior of the RS and make it a track toy #13 can be your street car! TMK 4 goes on which one?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
It's a once in a lifetime purchase for me. PORSCHE's: Immortal designs and impeccable german engineering. They will never be outdated or forgotten. Just bought a '09 C4S and I am just glad that I am part of it. When the next iteration comes and if people say that it is better I will remind myself that I got mine because I loved it and then go to the garage and give my baby a big hug.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
I looked forever before I bought the 968. I wanted just the right things. The 911 I bought on impulse. It was the right car and it's the only car i ever owed that I love after a year. It's still the the best all arounder.

I'm a lag buyer as well, and I like to look and wait till mid model cycle. I really want a low miles GT2, for the fun of it, but I"ll end up with a 2010 gt3 next year:-)

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Yeah Baby! Strip the interior of the RS and make it a track toy #13 can be your street car! TMK 4 goes on which one?
interior of RS is too nice to strip...I would rather strip myself and then track...good thing is I don't need to take my hands off the steering wheel when I give you the "point by"...

Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
I am thinking of the turbo s........could be an interesting car in the future!

Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
I believe the 997 will be a "classic" best looking 911 since the 993...what curves....

Prepping myself for my first 911...fo me the choice is easy..I will definitely wait for the new 991...

Enjoying the CS for now...

But i agonize over getting the first model year 991...or wait till second model year (maybe some bugs worked out)????

hmmmm

Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JenK
I am thinking of the turbo s........could be an interesting car in the future!
Been there , done that .
You are in the same car scenario I faced in 2007 --except yours is with cabs .

I had an 07 C2S coupe 5 months old , modified , flawless --and I had the Turbo bug . Financially it's a horrible move compounded even worse if you modify the car . However --in your case being that a Cab is more expensive , and as S costs more than a base Turbo, and a redesign is coming soon .. a Turbo S cab will cost almost as much as my modded car cost me . You will never see that money again .

If I had to do it all over again I would still buy my Turbo but I would pass on this one . In fact I am passing on this one . The reason being that in 2007 the economy was different and there was NO redesign in the cards . That's two big reasons .

There's one more reason --PDK -- I believe it is poised for evolution , In fact notice that when I mention selling either of my cars .. it's the PDK car which would go first even though my Turbo is two years older and has 6K more miles at present.

I know you got the bug for this new Turbo and it probably is going to be incredible but if you held your current car --you still have a nice cab -- and you'll save about 100K in the long run . That's a cost figure that only you can digest as to how much that new Turbo will mean to you . Only you can make the choice .

It's tough .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?