997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Dave in Oregon is infamous around these parts
I always hang on to my Porsches for 9 years after buying new. My most recent purchase this August was a 2007 C4S. But the new 991 specs look inviting.............

Thanks to Renntam for the info and scans.

Potential Facts & Figures

Old 12-08-2009, 11:03 PM
    B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
    Originally Posted by yrralis1

5)The "once in a lifetime" purchase -- LOL --I think there's a little bit of that logic in every Porsche sold . Some logic has to justify the expensive purchase. If this 09 is your first Porsche .. you will come to terms with those feelings in time . My guess is it will be when you are pinching yourself after you just bought another Porsche .
    "One in a lifetime" was not the best way to phrase it since this is my 4th Porsche including two other Carrera's. I should have simply said my last Porsche purchase.

I've been through a couple dozen great German cars and I feel *done* for the first time in my adult lifetime.

I'll prefer to watch my car age gracefully along with me, hopefully, and look forward to the day when I can look at the car and say I remember buying it when it was the latest thing.

I know that someday it will be a fine, old, well-loved classic..........just like me.

At this point in my life I know with absolute certainty that that holds more value to me than chasing the latest and "greatest".

Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
    yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
    Originally Posted by Dave in Oregon
    I always hang on to my Porsches for 9 years after buying new. My most recent purchase this August was a 2007 C4S. But the new 991 specs look inviting.............

Thanks to Renntam for the info and scans.

Potential Facts & Figures
    •  
      • debut at IAA 2011
      • shorter overhangs (especially at the front)
      • much more accentuated C-pillar
      • wider rear
      • wheelbase + 10 cm
      • center of gravity moves more to the middle of the car
      • roomier cabin, especially in the rear
      • new suspension + aluminium chassis
      • better stability at high speed / improved aerodynamics
      • rear spoiler á lá Panamera
      • generally more quality materials in the interior
      • less, but larger switches / central switch concept á lá BMW/AUDI
      • new steering wheel/paddle design
      • torque vectoring
      • 7 speed manual gearbox
      • electronic servo steering
      • keyless go
      • automatic start/stop engine system, brake energy generator
      • electronic parking brake
      • weight: minus 40 kg compared to 997
      • 19" wheels (Carrera), 20" wheels (Carrera S)
      • Carrera engine: 3.4 L / 350 hp / 350 nm
      • Carrera S engine: 3.8 L / 400 hp / 440 nm
      • Engine sound: less noisy under partial load, more “sonorous” under full load
      • Fuel consumption: minus 10% compared to 997
    Sweeeeeeet!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 AM
    wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
    i think it will be more like 996... radical and somewhat unwanted...

i dont know about you guys but when i see a 997 coming up on my rear the rough shape reminds me of a older 911 like the 993 or 964 and i get weak in the knee's, if i see a 996 i start projectile vomiting...

997 will always be close to my heart,

Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 AM
    utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
    Originally Posted by wa1l1in
    i think it will be more like 996... radical and somewhat unwanted...

i dont know about you guys but when i see a 997 coming up on my rear the rough shape reminds me of a older 911 like the 993 or 964 and i get weak in the knee's, if i see a 996 i start projectile vomiting...

997 will always be close to my heart,
    Most part to be concerned I think is that new unified aluminum chassis. I honestly don`t know if it is a smart move to replace steel frame with aluminum in a sport car, but, who knows. But, with that, what used to be bending before with steel - will break with aluminum alloy.

Also what is 'electronic servo steering'? and WHAT the hell is 'brake energy generator'?!? They gonna put additional weight for some stupid Prius like crap to help me with my 15 mpg milage? Geeezzz...

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-09-2009 at 06:14 AM.
    Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 AM
    RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
    I can't wait...so I can buy the 997 I want cheaper

Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 AM
    LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
    I don't know, this looks pretty good IMO. If it looks anything like that, it would be a big improvement, not like the 993 to 996 move.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM
    JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
    Originally Posted by yrralis1
    Been there , done that .
    You are in the same car scenario I faced in 2007 --except yours is with cabs .

I had an 07 C2S coupe 5 months old , modified , flawless --and I had the Turbo bug . Financially it's a horrible move compounded even worse if you modify the car . However --in your case being that a Cab is more expensive , and as S costs more than a base Turbo, and a redesign is coming soon .. a Turbo S cab will cost almost as much as my modded car cost me . You will never see that money again .

If I had to do it all over again I would still buy my Turbo but I would pass on this one . In fact I am passing on this one . The reason being that in 2007 the economy was different and there was NO redesign in the cards . That's two big reasons .

There's one more reason --PDK -- I believe it is poised for evolution , In fact notice that when I mention selling either of my cars .. it's the PDK car which would go first even though my Turbo is two years older and has 6K more miles at present.

I know you got the bug for this new Turbo and it probably is going to be incredible but if you held your current car --you still have a nice cab -- and you'll save about 100K in the long run . That's a cost figure that only you can digest as to how much that new Turbo will mean to you . Only you can make the choice .

It's tough .

Larry,

I hear what you are saying. thanks! But, I am thinking I am going to put a deposit down on one. The 'new' 991 turbo won't be out for at least 4 years and the new design direction is questionable. There are very few slots for a turbo or a turbo s this year and even when ordered one, it would not arrive until next year. Also, I am going to order paint to sample in some type of Porsche blue and I want this car to be my keeper. I have another vehicle for daily driving when needed. But, I am going out on a limb here, I think this turbo will be just as special as the 997.1 and in very limited production numbers which should help resale should I choose to sell it. I am not into the Gt3 or even GT 2, so this would be the vehicle for me. I always appreciate your input and hopefully you can help me decide what shade of classic Porsche blue to choose! That would be cool.

Jen

Last edited by JenK; 12-09-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM
    GothamHistorian is infamous around these parts
    I sold my 993 and I regret it. I sold my 996 C4S and I regret it everytime one rolls past. I'm on my fifth year with my 997 and I'm looking forward to the 991, but instead of buying the first model year, I'll wait for the RS variant and then make a decision. If I had it my way, my garage would have 3 911 coupes right now instead of just one. I suspect I'll keep my 05 coupe and add a 991 RS to it.

But that 997 3.8 RS white/red looks pretty tempting.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM
    PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
    Originally Posted by buckwheat986
    The newer car will have more technology and cost more. I know that.
    I wouldn't be so sure that it will cost more. Audi's new S4 is significantly cheaper than previous generations were compared to the A4 and they did this for a reason-they want to this S4 to be a higher production volume car.

Since Porsche is now owned by the same folks and it has be stated that they want Porsche to sell 150,000 cars they will have to do something different. You can't make them cool enough to create that many new buyers. But if they drop the price, many folks will probably cross into the brand and likely stay forever. Or at least that's the plan. Time will tell though.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM
    996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
    Originally Posted by LUISGT3
    I don't know, this looks pretty good IMO. If it looks anything like that, it would be a big improvement, not like the 993 to 996 move.

YES that is hot. And that spec sheet looks pretty nice 20s on a Carrera S w 400hp . The only thing im not liking is that Panamera wing. I love the 997 Spoiler the grates are slotted more wider than the 996 should just improve that somehow.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
    Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
    I dunno, doesn't sound very traditional 911 to me. Looks nice though

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM
    Cayman S 2009 is infamous around these parts
    Originally Posted by PT Doc
    I wouldn't be so sure that it will cost more. Audi's new S4 is significantly cheaper than previous generations were compared to the A4 and they did this for a reason-they want to this S4 to be a higher production volume car.

Since Porsche is now owned by the same folks and it has be stated that they want Porsche to sell 150,000 cars they will have to do something different. You can't make them cool enough to create that many new buyers. But if they drop the price, many folks will probably cross into the brand and likely stay forever. Or at least that's the plan. Time will tell though.
    Agree, I am willing to pay more rather than seeing 100 Porsche on my way home after work. I believe a sport car should have an unique image.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 PM
    og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
    Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
    YES that is hot. And that spec sheet looks pretty nice 20s on a Carrera S w 400hp . The only thing im not liking is that Panamera wing. I love the 997 Spoiler the grates are slotted more wider than the 996 should just improve that somehow.
    Word....I'm not totally warmed up to the Panamera tail.....

hmmm maybe like a duck tail.....

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
    PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
    Possibly the best decision is to stop going to the dealerships after the next generation appears. I think it is the only way. The 991 will be weird for the first few looks but after that it will grow on you and then, the inevitable-you now NEED it somehow.

I do hope that the nav on the 991 will be better integrated and easier to view. This just seems like the logical progression for nav placement. Any guesses if it will have the MMI/I Drive interface. Based on current ownership, I say yes. It might start looking a bit more like other cars from the interior, but it will be awesome to be driving a car that has the modern amenities and the efficient horses behind you.

It will be a winner and I think prices will be very appealling compared to current pricing. This will **** off 997 owners but VW doesn't care-they want more volume out of Porsche and they will get it. How long it takes will be seen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?