997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JenK
Larry,

I hear what you are saying. thanks! But, I am thinking I am going to put a deposit down on one. The 'new' 991 turbo won't be out for at least 4 years and the new design direction is questionable. There are very few slots for a turbo or a turbo s this year and even when ordered one, it would not arrive until next year. Also, I am going to order paint to sample in some type of Porsche blue and I want this car to be my keeper. I have another vehicle for daily driving when needed. But, I am going out on a limb here, I think this turbo will be just as special as the 997.1 and in very limited production numbers which should help resale should I choose to sell it. I am not into the Gt3 or even GT 2, so this would be the vehicle for me. I always appreciate your input and hopefully you can help me decide what shade of classic Porsche blue to choose! That would be cool.

Jen
It's going to be a beautiful car !!! I agree with the Turbo being a lomg term keeper too. There are several shades of blue which are very nice .
The most traditional is midnight blue as it's been in production for over 10 years dating back to the 993. There also is a shade less dark but somewhat similar called Lapis Blue . It's quite beautiful as well and there is a forum member who posted a picture somewhere on the Turbo forum . Cobalt blue is another more rcent shade and its similar to Aqua Blue .
There are two light shade blue colors --both are awesome --one is called Mexico Blue and the other is Riviera Blue . It's so hard to choose because i like all of them but if I had to pick one for a convertible it wold be lapis . It's very nice and matches up well with the top and interiors choices.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
....and here's the latest Mitsubishi Eclipse Cab, errrrrr, I mean the next 911 Cab. Thank you sir but I'll be keeping my current car.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/440...spied-testing/

Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
OldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond reputeOldGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Joe remember that Cab is HEAVILY camo'd.

I have had 4 911s in the last 6 years. I think for now I am done. This new C2S PDK with the new 9A1 motor is the biggest change they will do in awhile. Rumors are that the next generation GT cars will be base on this motor. The New TT already is.
After 2 GT3's I was going to get another or a TT, but when I heard all the buzz about the PDK I had to go try it. When I went to my dealer I had no intention of buying I just wanted to make sure I was up to speed and could discuss technical matters here and on RL competently. Well I drove it and it exceed my expectations in every manner.
I didnt buy and went back home(100miles) as I had planned but man that thing stuck in my brain like the italian lightening bolt in the God Father. I thought it was better than my 996 GT3 and very close to the 997 GT3. I think I drove it in May and bought it in July. It put all the other thoughts out of my head. It does so many things well. Plus the 10K kickback after I had done my deal put the GT3 and TT way out or the financial box. I mean I got the thing for $10K out the door under MSRP so that was the finishing touch.
It drives smooth, it drives hard if you get on it, its just the best all rounder I have had.
Plus like I said I think the 997.2 is a bigger change than the 991 will be.
just an opinion and I havent seen much of the 991, but why make such a radical change
from 08 to the 09, just to scrap it in the 2011 model?
The reason I think I am done is because I am 5-10 years out from retirement too and
I need to make sure I dont put any dents in my retirement port folio.

Last edited by OldGuy; 12-09-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
I don't know, this looks pretty good IMO. If it looks anything like that, it would be a big improvement, not like the 993 to 996 move.

You say yes, I say no. The 911 is an all-in-the-rear design. The front openings should be subdued. Since the 996, they are opening holes in there and that design has huge gaping holes. For someone looking for in-your face designs sure, but I hope it won't be that blatant.

The other aspect is the longer wheelbase. If it increases 100mm, as the rumors say, it will be longer than the Cayman's wheelbase and it will lose its go-kart dynamics.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
You say yes, I say no. The 911 is an all-in-the-rear design. The front openings should be subdued. Since the 996, they are opening holes in there and that design has huge gaping holes. For someone looking for in-your face designs sure, but I hope it won't be that blatant.

The other aspect is the longer wheelbase. If it increases 100mm, as the rumors say, it will be longer than the Cayman's wheelbase and it will lose its go-kart dynamics.

It may be too soon to know . Keep in mind that with Euro bumper and exhaust laws as well as the general emphasis on fuel economy and emissions -- they have some paramters that they can't control . To hedge all of this into a 4 year 50K mile production car while at the same time retaining some traditional resemblance to the original car is quite a task.

PLUS--The 997 is atough act to follow but they have to move forward . If the car were to stall at this level and price it might not sell . As it is one can find a person buying a 997 for sub 50K and if changes aren't significant it might vecome like the NSX --where a new one costs a fortune and a used car will cost 25K and new sales will taper .

The 991 is a very important car . I hope it's a success . In this economy and with VW in the frey Porsche can not afford to take a step back like many viewed the 996 . The 911 has made it through decades . It can not strike out like a old baseball star losing talent . All these new upgrades like PDK , engine mounts, torque vectoring , etc .. are poised to evolve .

I speculate optimistically the 991. We'll see

Last edited by yrralis1; 12-10-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
Hmmmmmm

This does look good but have a feeling if this was the car that this would be a loaded to the hilt c4s like car with a sticker of 125K+.... wheels flush with the fenders, near perfect stance, those are clearly 20' wheels, yellow PCCbs.... unless one goes turbo, or GT2-3 etc a car as such would be a loaded loaded car and the ones under this would be a bit struggling....just like a stock 997 IMO; a car that needs mods to be presentable ....

If I could change the below I would make the front wheel fenders more dramatic swoop up from the hood (like older 9664's) and hoping the rear bulges are as signifigant as prior 993's.... smooth lines on this car withen reason is cool but hate to see Porsche loose the muscle frog look....

Originally Posted by LUISGT3
I don't know, this looks pretty good IMO. If it looks anything like that, it would be a big improvement, not like the 993 to 996 move.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
If this orange car rendering is pretty accurate, then sign me up! Plus the other changes that have been suggested... oh yeah! Also, I really dig the panamera wing. The way it lifts and then spreads out is awesome.

Don't get me wrong. I love my current car. But its just a toy... and I, like many others, enjoy having the latest and greatest toys.

I figured an Audi R8 would be next for me... but I'll need to wait and see what the next 911 is all about.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:04 PM
bic
bic is infamous around these parts
On to the next one...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Most part to be concerned I think is that new unified aluminum chassis. I honestly don`t know if it is a smart move to replace steel frame with aluminum in a sport car, but, who knows. But, with that, what used to be bending before with steel - will break with aluminum alloy.

Also what is 'electronic servo steering'? and WHAT the hell is 'brake energy generator'?!? They gonna put additional weight for some stupid Prius like crap to help me with my 15 mpg milage? Geeezzz...
The electronic servo steering to me means that the power steering will no longer be powered directly by the engine's power steering pump. Power will come by electric motors, powered by the car's electrical system.

Brake energy generator? I think that means that some of the stopping energy can be recovered by electrical generators to supplement the car's electrical system. It also aids in braking too, putting less work to the brake pads. (electrical generators inside the transmission can 'absorb' or 'slow-down' the output shaft of the transmission to effect braking)

As an electrical engineer I would like to see many more things incorporated in the next 911:

Departure from 12V systems to 36V or 42V. This will enable electrical harnesses to be smaller and lighter, and enable:

Electric Air Conditioning. This will revolutionise the electrical systems in cars so that all ancillaries will be electrically powered and that means that sweet boxer engine is only doing ONE THING: Driving the wheels forward!

Electric water pump (I think this is already on the P cars) turns on when the car needs it, rather than running 100% from the crankshaft

Electric oil pump (same as electric water pump)

And perhaps another thing.... Will they ever change the MacPherson strut type suspension in the front? I wouldn't mind seeing a double-wishbone setup in the next 911.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 PM
RedRider is infamous around these parts
997 Carrera is timeless. I love mine and I will always keep it.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
ervjohns is infamous around these parts
I am not any kind of Luddite, but I can't see how the next step of evolution won't go over the top in complexity. I consider myself lucky to wait so long to get my 997 C4S before the technology goes too far away from driving enjoyment. I know it's apples and oranges, but BMW has ruined the driving experience with iDrive for everything, trick turn signals, and other gimmicks. Maybe Porsche can extend the brand without falling into this trap, but I am happy to keep my 2009 car indefinitely.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 AM
philcr2800 is infamous around these parts
I cannot agree more with this. The less electronics, the better. I still drive the 6 series my father bought in 1982. It just stopped ageing, while 7 series, X5 I had, became dinosaurs within 2 years. Many glitches, mostly due to complexity. BMW really lost touch with common sense (and aesthetics).
When I bought the 997, I actually had an M5 on order. I changed my mind reading an E60 forum like this one. You have no idea what the early owners of M5/M6 were going through! So I cancelled and ordered a Porsche with as little options as possible.

PDK is the best thing on earth. So was Tiptronic, Steptronic, second gen Steptronic, you name it. Anything processor-based becomes obsolete as fast as your next computer, which is the minute after you bought it.

In the coming age of satelite-limited speed, hybrids, and self-regulated distance keeping, precision mechanics will become collectibles like old Swiss watches. A 997 is one of the last bubble of automobile freedom.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:40 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Howie
The electronic servo steering to me means that the power steering will no longer be powered directly by the engine's power steering pump. Power will come by electric motors, powered by the car's electrical system.

Brake energy generator? I think that means that some of the stopping energy can be recovered by electrical generators to supplement the car's electrical system. It also aids in braking too, putting less work to the brake pads. (electrical generators inside the transmission can 'absorb' or 'slow-down' the output shaft of the transmission to effect braking)
I think it will be a major mistake to add up all those gizmos into 911. Rather than add weight for all that electrical stuff I would simply increase gas tank size.
If they will go down way of BMW to substitute direct steering with electrical servo motors - I will care about my 997 car even more than now. I do not like at all how this servo concept works on latest BMWs.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:56 AM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
So what happens when the new car comes out ?
Anyone think about it ? Will you want it ? Will you cling to your current car?[/quote]

It is up to Porsche to improve the next 911 enough to entice me to upgrade from my 08C2s to the newer model. LEDs, PDK, DFI engine, etc was not enough enticement to upgrade to the 09C2S. Maybe the 2011 will?

Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 PM
mstams is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?
I don't know... Guess I'll buy one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?