997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?

I keep reading articles like this. http://www.4wheelsnews.com/preview-2011-porsche-911/

The speculative journalists do a lot of guessing too but it leaves me in deep thought .

I look at the new 2010 Turbo ( and now the Turbo S) priced in skyrocket land with a wide assortment of technology gadgets . I look at the current facelft 997 . I look at the cars and say "oh, oh - I have two 997 cars" .

Part of me bought my 997 cars feeling like they were timeless . In many ways they are --especially my Turbo . I love that car so much I want to keep it forever . Of course somewhere in the back of my mind I knew there would be a redesign .. but still feel this overwhelming denial that it can't get better than the way thse cars are now.

So what happens when the new car comes out ?
Anyone think about it ? Will you want it ? Will you cling to your current car?

Old 12-08-2009, 04:04 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
I'm not really sure....I have to see the new one but I can't believe that Porsche will make another 996 vehicle with so much controversy. If I don't care for the new one I'll buy the current one (I just ordered a 2010 C4S Cab to be delivered in march(.

I lease my cars but I can always buy it in the end. Who knows! The picture looked kind of nice from what you could see.

Tom

Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
The newer car will have more technology and cost more. I know that.

Whether it will be "better". I don't know and I don't think about it.

I enjoy what I have and will move to the next car when I'm ready. And I don't have a clue when that is and I don't think about that either.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:47 AM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
im behind the new curve by like 2 - 3 yrs haha. I bought my first 911 a 996 in 05 as a 03 CPO and now my 05 C2S i bought in 08. So ill be in a 997.2 prob in a year or two. Either way these cars are unique especially with all these new models I think it gives us the buyer choices. Its what u want in the car. 4 Doors..2 Doors...2 Seaters, and all these cars will be loaded with the latest tech, I mean look at the differences in just the REFRESH of the 997.1 and 997.2. P Cars ruleeeee no doubt about it

Old 12-08-2009, 06:34 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
I'm like 996cabova; always a 'cycle' behind. Kept waiting for the 997, bought an 06 thinking the 1st year bugs were gone, then started waiting for the PDK and direct injection (still waiting since I love my 997.1 AND it was going to cost me $50k + the car for my speced out 2010).

Anyway, unfortunately for traders/sellers, the resale $$ for a 996 was still pretty good in 2005 but had sunk precipitiously by 2006. With today's National and world economy one can only guess what will happen when the next one arrives on the scene -probably as a MY2012.

Also see: http://www.worldcarfans.com/10912072...ess-camouflage

Old 12-08-2009, 06:51 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
The 997 is a beautiful car, it is a return to the original look front end, and a blast to drive. Unfortunately will not be for ever, the next Porsche 911 variant will be better, faster, and newer then, it is the way things are, the 997 will be an important part of history for Porsche, and I am sure that I will always stop and look at one and remember the fun I had with mine (after I am on to another one).

Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 AM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
My '09 C2S was a once in a lifetime purchase. I financed it due to the 1.9% rate offered via Porsche Bank, NA. I'll pay it off and drive it gradually until the wheels fall off. Nothing Porsche comes out with in the future will do more that spark my interest.

If anything I may look for a nice, low mileage 993 to park in my garage beside my 997, but that will wait until the 997 has been paid for and I imagine by then they will have become harder to find with low mileage.

I imagine that Carreras will continue to "improve" in terms of performance and features, but I bought the latest and greatest naturally aspirated, non-track-specific Carrera I could afford at the time of purchase and will always be happy with it.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Don't even bring up a new model I just got my car and I don't want to resent her in a year!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
So what happens when the new car comes out ?
I guess you will have to maintain your Icon status and buy this new model too!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 AM
GTSilver997 is infamous around these parts
I agree with NorthVan, as I have no doubt that Porsche will continue to come out with faster and more desirable cars for enthusiasts. If they don't, some other manufacturers will.

My perfect Porsche garage would be the latest GT3 (whatever the model designation), and a 73’ RS (for the times when I want to savor a true 911 in its unadulterated form).

Old 12-08-2009, 09:14 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Remember, change is not always good From the pictures of what I've seen the 997 looks much better... I am afraid of another 996 disaster coming up. When something is perfect, wanting to improve it you might end up screwing it up.

I love the design of the 997, it has all the necessities and nothing else. The new 991 will probably be too futuristic. It remains to be seen...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sin911
Remember, change is not always good From the pictures of what I've seen the 997 looks much better... I am afraid of another
What I wonder about is what max power potential is in Porsche boxter engine concept if now they get 350 horses out from 3.4L engine. Also an interesting topic why they decided to ditch 3.6L and keep 3.4L and 3.8L. Just a marketing reason to make gap between 'S' and base model wider?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
What I wonder about is what max power potential is in Porsche boxter engine concept if now they get 350 horses out from 3.4L engine. Also an interesting topic why they decided to ditch 3.6L and keep 3.4L and 3.8L. Just a marketing reason to make gap between 'S' and base model wider?
I think so, the funny thing is with the current model there is a 30hp difference between the 3.6L & 3.8L (I'm talking about the 997.1), which in my opinion doesn't add up... I always thought there could be more hp squeezed out of the 3.6L engine. The new regular Carrera will have less torque (probably a lot) than the new Carrera S, which probably will justify the price difference.

What I don't get is I saw some spy photos, the rear of the car is apparently longer than the current model & the rear wheels seem to stay the same. So if the engine is sticking further in the back how is the handling supposed to be better? Will somebody please explain?

Here's a link to the spy photos:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...yshots-230109/

Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
I don't plan on selling my car when the car bug bites me and I start looking for another fun car. I'll keep the current one (I'm already measuring my garage and looking at car lifts). I also won't be looking at buying the new 911 replacement as I have almost never bought a new "fun" car as I'd rather let someone else take the depreciation hit. Most likely my next "fun" car will be something a little more aggressive (my current "fun" car is a C4S Cab) and I have to admit I'm already checking the prices on 2008 997 Turbo's and Gallardo's.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I've seen some pics, but no real official ones.....I agree with yrralis1, i dont even have the turbo, and feel that the car cant get any better, as far as the design based off the 993, which i love, and the performance, i cant really see the current car exceeding those numbers, 0-60mph in 3.2 sec for the new 2010 turbo.... Well time will tell....

Last edited by rvhpno80; 12-08-2009 at 10:41 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So what happens when the 991 replaces the 997 ?