997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help- daily driver SUV for $30-40K - Cayenne vs. world

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
Help- daily driver SUV for $30-40K - Cayenne vs. world

Looking for some advice / opinions regarding a good daily driver SUV, used or new, for $30-40K to help deal with the unpredictable chicago climate. Currently have a '04 GS300 and it's up there in miles (105K) and its RWD but otherwise runs like a champ. Considering a new Acura RDX (low 30s), Audi Q5 (sl used) , BMW X3 (sl. used '08 low-mid 30's), new Infiniti EX35- but I kinda like the idea of having Cayenne S as the 911's big bro. Would you guys take a '06 Cayenne S (Titanium) CPO'ed over these other SUV's - to keep for 5 years, 10-12K miles a year?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
My vote is for the Q5. Used to have a 2005 Cayenne S (purchased new). As the miles piled on and the warranty was about to expire, we experienced quite a few problems that were fortunately covered under warranty: coil pack failures x8, A/C failure, suspension failure, Navigation failure. Any of thse problems outside of warranty would have been quite costly.

Had the Q5 as a loaner for a weeked. Really nice SUV. Great handling, decent power, nice sporty handling, decent room, nice interior.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Andre5; 12-08-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add details
Old 12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Unless you really baby your C2S............ Snow Tires & Rubber floor mats, save the money of another vehicle.

Dunlop 3D's for snow & ice traction while still maintaining good dry performance.

Blizzaks for heavy snow & ice traction; not so much in the dry.

Will ground clearance really (and I cant speak from experience) be an issue in Chicagoland? Don't they have top notch snow removal?

Cars are not investments. Enjoy it!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 PM
LagunaDallas is infamous around these parts
I have clients with a new Q5 that absolutely love it. If it'll work with the budget, I've had all kinds of sedans and SUVs as my business car and the 2007+ BMW X5 is absolutely exceptional. I've been thrilled with it, and the V8 (4.8i version) is fantastic.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Well --The Cayenne certainly consolidates service to one location.
As for the car .. I wuld pick the Cayenne S and probably opt for a newer model than the 06 with the current engine .
I would pit it against the X5 --not the x3 .

It's over 30K though . I feel that in the sub 30K all weather driving the 328xi sedan woild be a better value than any of the SUV's though .

Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
Appreciate all the advice- agree that reliability with the 2005-06 Cayenne is a concern- would really like the 08+ GTS but out of the budget (prob 60K +). The Q5 is really nice too but local dealers don't have too many and aren't very open to negotiating- some still want MSRP. The current X5 is a great drive but again, probably too much $$$ and a little big for my needs (and my garage). The 328X or 335X may be the best compromise between utility, driving involvement, and pocketbook. Although the RDX is a fun little SUV too-

Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fang911
Appreciate all the advice- agree that reliability with the 2005-06 Cayenne is a concern- would really like the 08+ GTS but out of the budget (prob 60K +). The Q5 is really nice too but local dealers don't have too many and aren't very open to negotiating- some still want MSRP. The current X5 is a great drive but again, probably too much $$$ and a little big for my needs (and my garage). The 328X or 335X may be the best compromise between utility, driving involvement, and pocketbook. Although the RDX is a fun little SUV too-
I hear ya . Cost is factor , although the 08 Gts lacks the PCM and techno gadgets . An 09 S woild be more practical . I woild also pick the 328 over the 335 . The normally aspirated BMW engine is real solid . The Turbo engine is faster .. but lacks some of the reliability .

Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Larry is spot on about the turbo engine issues...however to borrow a line often used by others here...I would get the 335xi...if you get the 328xi you will alway wonder "what if"...and to me there is a world of difference on performance between the two cars. So its worth the slight potential issues the turbo engine might give to own one.

I own an X5 and it been a good ride the past three years but the transmission concerns me as the miles get up there. I have another year of warranty so I will make a decision sometime soon.

I am thinking cayenne and will test drive a few over the winter but sometimes I go in a different direction and think about a subaru forester (turbo)...but the 4 speed and no manual options are downers.

good luck

Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Looking for some advice / opinions regarding a good daily driver SUV, used or new, for $30-40K to help deal with the unpredictable chicago climate. Currently have a '04 GS300 and it's up there in miles (105K) and its RWD but otherwise runs like a champ. Considering a new Acura RDX (low 30s), Audi Q5 (sl used) , BMW X3 (sl. used '08 low-mid 30's), new Infiniti EX35- but I kinda like the idea of having Cayenne S as the 911's big bro. Would you guys take a '06 Cayenne S (Titanium) CPO'ed over these other SUV's - to keep for 5 years, 10-12K miles a year?
As you asked. Yes I would take the CayenneS over the others (I think its a tad nicer than the BMW X5). The BMW (in X5) would be my 2nd choice BUT the Audi is a very very nice vehicle but hear that they go through tires quickly. (Neighbor has one and it seems to, but wow what a nice SUV it is)

Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
LagunaDallas is infamous around these parts
I understand about the X5 size and price. Given that, I'll add in another vote for the 335Xi. I had a 2007 335i Cabrio and LOVED that engine, especially matched with the 6-speed manual if that isn't inconvenient for your daily driving. I'll be replacing the X5 with a 2011 535i (new body style) as my daily driver when the X5 lease is up this summer since I enjoyed the combo of that turbo engine and the BMW driving experience so much.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Personally I love the new Q5 with the rs6 wheels. I think it may have like an s-line package on it as well, but I think its one of the best looking SUVs out there right now.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
have you ever tried toyota land cruiser? May not look that flashy but it is a car that can drive for real over anything.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks again- probably going to take a look at the 328x-335x (w/auto tranny) this weekend- and agree about some concern for the turbo engine- 2 friends with 335i's have had trouble within the first year and are pissed as heck about it. The Land Cruiser is a great truck but prolly wouldn't fit in the garage or budget at this point and the wife is NOT open to expanding the garage - yet. Recent pictures of the upcoming 535 look spectacular esp compared to recent BMW offerings- but looking at significant $$$ > $55K again. MisanoRS4- what I wouldn't do to get my RS4 back- that would be a ridiculous daily driver and I've missed it every day since trading it in last year. I'd still take that over the current M3, C63, etc-

Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Misanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant futureMisanors4 has a brilliant future
Thanks again- probably going to take a look at the 328x-335x (w/auto tranny) this weekend- and agree about some concern for the turbo engine- 2 friends with 335i's have had trouble within the first year and are pissed as heck about it. The Land Cruiser is a great truck but prolly wouldn't fit in the garage or budget at this point and the wife is NOT open to expanding the garage - yet. Recent pictures of the upcoming 535 look spectacular esp compared to recent BMW offerings- but looking at significant $$$ > $55K again. MisanoRS4- what I wouldn't do to get my RS4 back- that would be a ridiculous daily driver and I've missed it every day since trading it in last year. I'd still take that over the current M3, C63, etc-
I have to agree with you. I really think that the rs4 is one of the best daily drivers on the market. Audi interior, enough power for a DD, smooth gearbox, AWD, and great looks.. What more can you ask for? The thing I miss most about mine is just being able to drive it everyday. The P-car doesn't quite fit the bill in that category haha.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
I would go for new Toyota Highlander.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help- daily driver SUV for $30-40K - Cayenne vs. world