997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hi-flow cats vs Calif smog test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Hi-flow cats vs Calif smog test

Does anyone know if 200-cell hi-flow cats will or won't pass California smog tests?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Does anyone know if 200-cell hi-flow cats will or won't pass California smog tests?

Ken make sure you are hard on the car before you get it tested, that way the cats will be nice and hot and you should pass. The good news about Ca. is that the smog is done on a chassis dyno putting a load on the car and the cats should be fine with the load. I had mine on a sniffer and it did pass. I also run about 94 octane in the car with my blend of 3 gallons of 105 F&L unleaded with 12 gallons of 91.

Dave

Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I want high flow cats but i'm worried about the same issue. Even if it passes the sniffer etc., will it even pass the visual test?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:30 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Ken, fly me down and I will get your cats nice and hot. Perhaps a test facility right beside Willow Springs

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Ken, fly me down and I will get your cats nice and hot. Perhaps a test facility right beside Willow Springs
Very generous of you Ed. I'll think about it.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by v35
I want high flow cats but i'm worried about the same issue. Even if it passes the sniffer etc., will it even pass the visual test?
I am not sure they would be able to tell the difference between factory and AWE cats......especially IF they have been used for a while.After time they ALL go a goldy color and besides do they really look at that many Porsche cars to determine this?
I know here we could get away with anything as long as it passes the driving test!

Stacy

Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Unlike you Mr. Ed.....Ken would like these to work when done,LOL!!!!
I swear you won't be happy until you catch the brakes on fire or melt the exhaust into a molten GLOB,LOL!

Stacy

Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by justatoy
I am not sure they would be able to tell the difference between factory and AWE cats......especially IF they have been used for a while.After time they ALL go a goldy color and besides do they really look at that many Porsche cars to determine this?
I know here we could get away with anything as long as it passes the driving test!

Stacy
I agree, they don't look noticeably different, and are hard to see anyway. I don't think they climb under these cars to look up behind the rear bumper.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
Unlike you Mr. Ed.....Ken would like these to work when done,LOL!!!!
I swear you won't be happy until you catch the brakes on fire or melt the exhaust into a molten GLOB,LOL!

Stacy
New Cats wouldbe covered under the warranty, besides one day on the track won't do it, it is the repeated use that starts to cook the stuff. You wouldn't know about repeated use though, you drive yours for 10 minutes and then see a speck of dirt and race how to wash it!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Tried it a few times and sadly the answer has been no;( make sure you keep your stock cats for smog and swap them over.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by sharkster
Tried it a few times and sadly the answer has been no;( make sure you keep your stock cats for smog and swap them over.
I did just test only (no hooking up to Sacramento) but it did pass the sniffer. However, as you state..just swap out to the stock cats, a whole 1 hr. of time to swap out with my car on a set of yellow pages.

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 12-10-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Da Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of lightDa Hapa is a glorious beacon of light
Ken -

Please let us know how you make out with this. I'm seriously considering the X51 headers and 200 cell cats but really don't want the hassle of swapping cats out every two years for a stupid CA smog.

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Ken -

Please let us know how you make out with this. I'm seriously considering the X51 headers and 200 cell cats but really don't want the hassle of swapping cats out every two years for a stupid CA smog.

Thanks.

You don't have to smog your car for the first 5 years, if you have a 2008 you have another 4 years to go before your first smog. It's not until the 6th year on new vehicles that they have to be smogged.

Dave

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sharkster
So the question then is, "Why have high flow cats in the first place?" If it won't pass then it's best to go with others that get the full cat bypass instead of high flow cats. Someone please enlighten me.

Maybe it makes the customer feel he/she is not contributing to global warming by having some form of emissions control vs. none at all?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
So the question then is, "Why have high flow cats in the first place?" If it won't pass then it's best to go with others that get the full cat bypass instead of high flow cats. Someone please enlighten me.

Maybe it makes the customer feel he/she is not contributing to global warming by having some form of emissions control vs. none at all?
Cat bypasses tend to be extremely loud and raspy and many people want something a little more tame in terms of sound.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hi-flow cats vs Calif smog test