997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME Readout Help Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
DME Readout Help Please

I'm looking at picking up an 07 997 C2S and was able to obtain the following DME readout. Thoughts?

If I'm reading correctly, all/most of these over-revs have happened w/in the last 2.5 operating hours. Am I looking at the correct thing? On the DME readout I rec'd, 2pgs total, I didn't see anything relating to ignitions at speed.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-12-2009, 07:31 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Right, somebody JUST took the car out and missed a shift! Same with mine, the previous owner hammered it when I was negotiating a deal with him. However, you have a range 4, which is really a no no. That car has pretty low miles, maybe 10k? This is one missed shift, pretty clearly. Is this a dealer car? Not the end of the world, but many people will not touch a car that has ignitions over range 3. How does the rest of it check out? CPO? Complete PPI?

Old 12-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
yes p-dealer, CPO'd car. Has 18K on the clock. No PPI yet though.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Get the dealer and Porsche to acknowledge in writing that the over revs happened before the car was CPO'd so that they cannot use this to void the warranty.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 AM
^ oh, great suggestion thanks!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Get the dealer and Porsche to acknowledge in writing that the over revs happened before the car was CPO'd so that they cannot use this to void the warranty.
That's what i did and mine was only a level three. I didn't want a policy shift down the road to leave me hanging.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
This over-rev thing needs to be kept in perspective. As an example, at 7400 RPM, the car is firing 370 times per second. So 111 firings happen in less than a third of a second.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
+1 on what ken said.

It was operated at level 4 for a fraction of a second. This car ain't gonna fall apart because of it.

If it was level 6, then that is a different story.

I've hit the rev limiter a few times in my car since I got it while spirited driving. I'm not worried about it.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:51 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
+1 on what ken said.

I've hit the rev limiter a few times in my car since I got it while spirited driving. I'm not worried about it.
As far as level 1 AND 2 revs.....and I am unsure about 3 and 4's!
That is WHY the rev limiter is there,to protect things!
Each and every one of us who owns/drives these cars REVS it up to 7000 rpm,and probably quite a bit....
So what is the difference between a few hundred RPM and the rev limiter..... NOTHING.
Just the REV limiter 'caught' you and put a time on it,no big deal
After a few years GL finding one that hasn't hit that rev limiter,LOL!

Stacy

Old 12-12-2009, 09:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
As far as level 1 AND 2 revs.....and I am unsure about 3 and 4's!
That is WHY the rev limiter is there,to protect things!
Each and every one of us who owns/drives these cars REVS it up to 7000 rpm,and probably quite a bit....
So what is the difference between a few hundred RPM and the rev limiter..... NOTHING.
Just the REV limiter 'caught' you and put a time on it,no big deal
After a few years GL finding one that hasn't hit that rev limiter,LOL!

Stacy
Agreed...but I believe it's difficult to get level 3, 4 and above just by reving up - most, if not all the higher levels occur because of mis-shifts. Rev limiter will protect while accelerating just not with sudden revs caused by missed sift.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I got my Dme reading yesterday and have 2 ignitions in range 3 and 4 and 0 ignitions on range 5 and 6. Should I worry about the 2 ignitions in the 3 & 4 range?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
A few months ago I would have said pass it up. It does not matter if it's a fraction of second or not . Why buy a car which has it when there are those which do not ? This isn't like a little scratch or blemish --it's where the engine was driven into what Porsche considers an unpreferred zone. One can justify, argue, defend , or explain the reasoning but the bottom line is after the car is bought the owner has to live with it .

That was then .. now I look at prices being so high that the decision is harder but I still woild say don't settle.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 AM
JenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of lightJenK is a glorious beacon of light
Scott,
does this mean the Boxster is going? Welcome to the 997 world, my friend!
So more details about this car and others you're looking at. I also have a delaer friend in OH that can help you as well. Let me know!

Jen

Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I think it's a factor of relative economics. The car has had a missed shift. It is not the end of the world. Probably a 50/50 chance that the next buyer will even want to look at the DME. It is a negative, just as if a body panel had been repainted; you can't correct it and it's a negative that impacts the value of the car. An '07 with CPO buys you at least 3 years of peace of mind. If you really will own the car "forever" maybe you should pass. Otherwise, the car is covered for a while and may benefit from a lower price in today's tight market for these cars. Good luck!