997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Light at the end of the tunnel indeed!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Welcome back buddy..good to have you back!

On home stretch.....two hard things left.....mounting the charger bracket and driver's side injectors!
And mounting that bracket is tough because you are trying to align the belt on the pulleys BLIND!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-21-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:20 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
The air intake sensor you reference is actually the sensor for the engne compartmemt temperature. You are correct that it simply sits inserted into the rubber grommet between the runners.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Cattman
Well tonight I started around 7, and ended around 10, again working very casually, stopping to go online, take pics, make a couple of calls, and eat dinner.

And I managed to resolved everything that was up in the air:

-corrected the issue of the hose to the front radiator on the driver's side by trimming it about a 1.5" so that the bent end, coming out of the tank, turns quickly, then down below and into the front of the car.

-removed the fitting on the front end of the driver's side crank case vent tube. This was not easy! When Stacy did it, he said he used a small screwdriver and some silicone lubricant. I suppose since my car is older, that hose was far too brittle to pry, so I used a hair dryer and a hose pick. I let the tube heat up really hot, so that it softened considerably, then I used a hose pick to get into the end, worked it all the way around the circumference, and was able to slowly twist it until it came out.

-seated the injectors on the passenger side! Woohooo!

-reattached the plastic wire harness holder, zip tied it back in place, and bolted down the fuel rail.

-removed the ECU, so I can FedEx it to VF-E tomorrow for reprogramming.

-reattached the horn/ horn bracket to the passenger side front bumper reinforcement.

Questions:
-The air intake temp sensor that I removed to access the fuel rail on the passenger side, how is it held in place? Looks like it just sits in the open, held by a round rubber grommet, but doesn't actually go inserted anywhere, is that right? If so, it would seem to be only measuring ambient temp back in the engine bay?
-Does anyone have any photos of where they ran the line from the pump up and over the transmission, and where/ how they secured it? I want to make sure I don't interfere with the gear linkage, and that's right above the pump.

Taking tomorrow off, and will be back at it first thing on Saturday, all day. So far, total working hours is up to 22.5 hours. I think about half or more of those have been spent "figuring things out", which means they could be eliminated if I ever did this again.

Left to do:
-remove stock injectors on driver's side
-install new larger injectors on driver's side
-install intercooler, fill lines with 50/50 peak lifetime, and test integrity by hooking up the pump to an external battery. If it's all working, I can reattach the wheel well liners, side radiator shroud, front bumper, headlights, and underpanels.
-begin mounting the SuperCharger, oil sharing plumbing, new air line, and belt.
-change oil and filter
-test it with my durametric to ensure good AF ratios and temps, etc.

There's light at the end of the tunnel!
CATTMAN

PS I've never even changed my oil or brake pads before. I've done mostly basic stuff, like mufflers, headers, cats, SSK, Dension, etc. Never done anything remotely this complicated or involved. My father once told me that I am not "mechanically inclined." He was wrong.
Wow, that's great progress. I have no idea how you fit your hands in there, i'd be missing a finger by now

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
If anyone of our ATL members are interested in checking out this project, I am at His Majesty's Coach, 3005 Rutledge Rd. NW in Kennesaw. PM me and I'll let you in.
CATTMAN

Old 01-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
It took some time, but I finally got the injectors on the driver's side out, and the larger injectors in, seated, and the fuel rail bolted back into place.

At this point, it looks like I am ready to try to mount the supercharger! I was hoping for an extra pair of hands today, but looks like I'm on my own.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 01-23-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Worked 6 hours today, at a leisurely pace, and got a lot done:

1. Driver's side crank case vent hose:
-Stacy was able to remove the rear fitting with some lube and a screwdriver, but as my car has nearly 50k miles on it, and 5 years, the connection was completely wedded together, and the hose so brittle, that I used a hair-dryer and a hose pick. Worked like a charm! I recommend this for anyone else, 100%.

2. Driver's side injectors:
-removed stock injectors. The driver's side of the engine bay is EXTREMELY tight- there's basically room for only one hand at a time, with your arm fully stretched out, and due to the angle, you're working blind, by feel alone. A lot of gasoline came out upon removing each injector, more on this side for whatever reason than on the passenger side cylinders.
-installed the new, larger injectors up into their metal hats on the fuel rail, then with great difficulty attached their clips, and electrical connectors
-with a combination of force, jiggle, and finesse, I finally seated the new injectors into the block!

So the injector phase is over, and what a relief. What can I say- it's not hard, like running a marathon, or memorizing Pi to 100 digits. It's sort of a combination, and it's sort of like throwing dice: you can try 50 times and not get it, and then you can try once and get it. I am just glad this part is over!

Then I reconnected the black plastic wire harness bracket to the fuel rail, zip tied the wires back into the bracket, and reattached the cam sensor, vacuum line, and bolted the fuel rail back in place.

In the photos, you can see the hair-dryer at work on the driver's side crank case vent hose, the inverse torx screw of the fuel rail, and the closest of the 3 driver's side injectors (green) in place.
CATTMAN

Attached Images    

Last edited by Cattman; 01-23-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Dude, you're a machine......I love the way you say 'leisurely pace'....if i was the one doing this to my car i would have probably lost 2 fingers and been on my 5th roll of duct tape by now, and not 1/10th of where you're at

Keep it up, you're doing great!

The anticipation of driving that car for the first time once the SC is installed must be huge, just think you'll be able to say 'I did this'

Looking forward to seeing some vid footage!

jp

Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Removing the stock oil galley plug on the driver's side is a challenge, as is getting the fitting (brass) for where the charger shares oil with the car attached.

In the instructions, they tell you to do this AFTER you are done with all the injectors (green), however, if doing it again, I'd remove the stock plug and install the new fitting (brass) while the driver's side fuel rail is off and the injectors (green) out.

Here's a pic of the fitting that comes with the kit. A rubber hose attaches here, with a metal nut, and it allows the charger to share oil with the engine. As you can see, getting this in while the fuel rail and injectors (green) are in place is a challenge!

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Go John Go.....

As you know.....when your done COULD you PLEASE send me those tools I lent you back,LOL!
I need them soon......I guess I will finally see 'How long the second supercharger will take to install'.....ROUND 2 for me!

Like I have said to you many times already.....doing this will make you so comfortable with working on the car that you will be pretty much ready to try almost anything!
Congrats buddy!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by w00zie
Dude, you're a machine......I love the way you say 'leisurely pace'....if i was the one doing this to my car i would have probably lost 2 fingers and been on my 5th roll of duct tape by now, and not 1/10th of where you're at

Keep it up, you're doing great!

The anticipation of driving that car for the first time once the SC is installed must be huge, just think you'll be able to say 'I did this'

Looking forward to seeing some vid footage!

jp
JP, your posts keep me going- seriously!
To tell you the truth, I am very anxious about starting it up for the first time. I am just afraid that something will be off, and I'll struggle to diagnose it.

In terms of lost fingers, here's an updated pic of my hands, project hat, playbook (bound, yet covered in grease, oil, etc.), and how I keep all the parts organized in labelled ziplock bags. There are some deep cuts on my hands, and I actually was dripping blood all over the engine tonight.
CATTMAN

Attached Images     

Last edited by Cattman; 01-23-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Finally, here's a tease.

It's not mounted yet, as I still need to do some work to align the bolts and belt, but, tomorrow the heart should be in.

I started this 7 days ago, and have worked only nights and on the weekend. Total hours is at 28.5, and again, I'd guess that 70% of that has been spent figuring things out as a first timer.

I could really use a map of the proper belt alignment behind the charger, if anyone has one, or can create one for me.
CATTMAN

Attached Images  

Last edited by Cattman; 01-23-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM
sweet!

btw....what was the music of choice today?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Music tonight was REM, Chili Peppers, Clapton, and Celine Deion. Minus the last one.

Calculating sessions, I've spent 2 full Saturdays, and 4 nights on this. I think that's pretty good time, especially, as I've noted that more than 50% of it is spent staring at problems to solve, scratching my head, scratching my chin, and taking pics.
CATTMAN

Old 01-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Stacy:
A schematic like that of my engine/ pulleys would be great- is what you posted the same as my layout? Looks a little different, maybe I am seeing things backwards?

Stacy:
So far I've not used the 3 tools you sent, and I can't tell what I'll need them for. Won't need the pulley puller, as I'm going to run the 3.4", but what are the 90 degree bent 22m wrench and the makeshift hex for? I know the 22 is not for the tensioner, as that's 24.

And hey, I apologize about poking fun at Celine Deion, I know she's on your "Fab 5 list", as she's a fellow Canuck.
If I were the GM of the US, I'd strike a trade with Canada: you keep Celine, and I'd take Neil Young. We'd give you Liberace and Urkle.
CATTMAN

Attached Images  

Last edited by Cattman; 01-23-2010 at 10:07 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman