997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !

John,

Love the organization! Well done. If this was me, I would have parts all over.

Jim

Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Here is one identifying the pullies.

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Went over to the shop where Cattman is doing his install to take a look and see if I could lend a hand. First I want to say what a great job Cattman has done. This definatlely isn't for the faint of heart.

Cattman has covered a lot for ground in a short amount of time. Helped him install the supercharger today and was glad I was able to help. It does kinda require 4 hands but, other than that he has done a remarkable job.

Looks like he will be fireing it up soon. I hope I can be there when he does.

Great job Cattman

Old 01-24-2010, 07:42 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ng997
Went over to the shop where Cattman is doing his install to take a look and see if I could lend a hand. First I want to say what a great job Cattman has done. This definatlely isn't for the faint of heart.

Cattman has covered a lot for ground in a short amount of time. Helped him install the supercharger today and was glad I was able to help. It does kinda require 4 hands but, other than that he has done a remarkable job.

Looks like he will be fireing it up soon. I hope I can be there when he does.

Great job Cattman
You know for the first time that bracket to mount the whole supercharger is a B!TCH.....but the second time,isn't so bad....even by yourself!

Just got off the phone with John and he sounded VERY happy,that this install IS coming to an end!
The BAD NEWS John.....what will you do next,LOL!?
NO MORE MODS.....except for water/meth and when I am done I will let you know the details!

This IS the end of the road for power....you have all the car will handle!

I miss the DIY already and NEED something to do!

Stacy

Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Last night Nick (member ng997) came over to lend me a hand, a super nice guy, without whose help I wouldn't have made as much progress as I did. I owe him beers!

Anyway, the charger is mounted! Whew, it took some doing. Getting all 3 of the mounting bolts aligned into the alternator slots was no easy feat- with each bolt providing it's own set of challenges. It takes a lot of patience, jiggling, and a homemade tool or two to get it done, but it's mounted, and it ain't goin' nowhere!

Obviously the pre-req for this was removing one of the idler pulleys, detensioning the tensioner pulley, and installing the new belt- correctly.

1999, thank you for the diagram- lifesaver, I'll give you rep points for that one! I am going to recheck the belt routing on my car about a dozen more times before I crank it, just so easy to make a mistake there.

Next, I pulled the oil plug and removed the filter. It draines very quickly, but I let it drain overnight, just to be sure I got most of it out. I will install a new plug and filter tonight, and begin adding fresh oil, this time Mobil1 15W-50.

This is the first time I've ever done my own oil change, and it's so dang easy I cannot fathom every paying anyone to do it for me again. Unbelievable. 1 small trash can, 1 8mm hex bit in a breaker bar, and you're done. Pull the plug and filter and let it drain. Install new plug and filter, refill. Dispose of oil at any local shop. Done! Oil cost be $50 for 2 gallons of Mobile1 15W-50, filter was $14 plus $5 plug at SunCoast. $70 all in.

Tonight I hope to:
-Install the intake pluming
-Attach the oil supply and drain lines
-Solder the wires for the new pump
-Affix all the IC lines in place under the car, one last time.
-Pre-fill the front water tank, reconnect the lines to it, and attach the IC, making it a closed system. Begin filling the lines with Peak 50/50 pre-mixed, and bleed all the air out of the system before hooking up the pump to an external battery and testing it for power and leaks.

HELP!:
-Any tips on how to fill the IC system? How can I get all the air out and get a good measurement?
-What do I need to think of before turning it over for the first time, that I may not have thought of?

Definitely in the home stretch. The ECU is at VF-E being programmed, and should be back in the car tomorrow night, at which point, it's possible I'll turn it over for the first time!

Here are some pics from last night:

Attached Images      

Last edited by Cattman; 01-25-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
The anticipation of starting her for the first time is definitely building. Charger looks sweet mounted to that motor. Great job!

Changing the oil is indeed a piece of cake!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Wow, i never realize how big that SC was! Looks great!

Out of curiosity was there a reason you changed the oil plug and went to 15w50?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Pull fuel pump fuse and crank a few time to check belt alignment, etc.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !

Man that is tiiiggghhhtt

Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 PM
You should also read the following warning and then reread it 10 times:

"Do NOT overtighten the brass oil feed elbow into the supercharger."

Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You should also read the following warning and then reread it 10 times:

"Do NOT overtighten the brass oil feed elbow into the supercharger."
Hey Cattman, did you read that? DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thanks, 1999, I will be sure not to overtighten that.

Right now, I've got a Q:
What's the best way to run all these hoses? The new vacuum line seems to pinch the engine coolant line where it meets the expansion tank. It's a mad jumble right in that spot, anyone have pics of the routing that worked for them?
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by w00zie
Wow, i never realize how big that SC was! Looks great!

Out of curiosity was there a reason you changed the oil plug and went to 15w50?
The SC itself is huge! Really stand out back there.
In terms of oil, it's all so similar that it only really makes a difference at startup. The 15-50 is a bit heavier, and has more of the synthetic ingredient that helps it stick to moving parts, or so that's what I understand.

Regardless, it's what someone I trust told me

Old 01-25-2010, 07:35 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cattman
Thanks, 1999, I will be sure not to overtighten that.

Right now, I've got a Q:
What's the best way to run all these hoses? The new vacuum line seems to pinch the engine coolant line where it meets the expansion tank. It's a mad jumble right in that spot, anyone have pics of the routing that worked for them?
CATTMAN
Looking at the pic. Is there enough slack in the vacuum line (the one that looks to have a covering on it) put-and-past that corner of the expansion tank then the expansion tank like would run "under" it. (basically reversing their positions somewhat). So the one vacuum line would ultimately be resting near the blue SC label...etc.

Last edited by KaamaCat; 01-25-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
KaamaCat,
Where are you- you're in ATL, you should be here lending a hand

That's a good suggestion, I tried that, too, and the difference is splitting hairs- it's tight there, no 2 ways about it. But nothing is kinked, so I think it'd be fine either way.

Going to begin refilling the engine with oil, and go back underneath to check the routing of the lines for 100th time. Then if it all looks good, I'll zip tie the lines, use the brackets Stacy sent me, and get back to work on the plumbing (air and coolant) in the engine bay.

Looks like an all-nighter, then back to the office in the AM!

Help me stay focused in this cold, dark, shop- just me and the rats in here! Seriously, I can hear them screetching, playing, whatever they're up to.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 01-25-2010 at 08:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman