997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
KaamaCat,
Where are you- you're in ATL, you should be here lending a hand

That's a good suggestion, I tried that, too, and the difference is splitting hairs- it's tight there, no 2 ways about it. But thing is kinked, so I think it'd be fine either way.

Going to begin refilling the engine with oil, and go back underneath to check the routing of the lines for 100th time. Then if it all looks good, I'll zip tie the lines, use the brackets Stacy sent me, and get back to work on the plumbing (air and coolant) in the engine bay.

Looks like an all-nighter, then back to the office in the AM!

Help me stay focused in this cold, dark, shop- just me and the rats in here! Seriously, I can hear them screetching, playing, whatever they're up to.
CATTMAN

John,

Deep breath and earplugs! LOL U can do this....I have FAITH!

Jim

Old 01-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thanks, Jim.
At this point, it's 11:32pm in ATL, and my family is already long asleep, so I might as well keep going!

My ECU gets home tomorrow, so tomorrow if I keep plugging away tonight, may get to start it up!

The good news is that all the wrenches, screwdrivers, drills, bits, and sockets are finally turning CLOCKWISE.

But I swear, my car is so filthy, covered with shop dust, and I am sure ridden with horrible micro scratches, etc. I'm going to have to spend another 20 hrs detailing it, LOL! In fact, I want to steam clean the engine, too. Or somehow get it sparkly looking again to show off the new hardware!
CATTMAN

Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Sounds like you are going to be able to write an install manual when you are done!

I think the OCD is mysteriously attached to the Charger. Stacy has ignored his car since the charger has been removed!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Sounds like you are going to be able to write an install manual when you are done!

I think the OCD is mysteriously attached to the Charger. Stacy has ignored his car since the charger has been removed!
AGGGH Yes Ed I have fully ignored my car since ripping the charger off and selling it to John(Cattman).....BUT.....I have another charger on the way.....Again I will be at peace with my car soon,LOL!
IN 3 DAYS.......now the 'cat is outta the bag'

Stacy

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I know, I can't believe after all that, Stacy, you are going to install the same kit all over again! Perhaps you should host me for some Vancouever hospitality and we can install your's together over a weekend. Seriously, that'd be fun, and I could dovetail it with an upcoming visit to Seattle for work.

Anyway, I am going to work through the night I think, since I really would like to start the car tomorrow! Got all the oil plumbing done, and am now working on all the air intake plumbing. If I finish that, then I can wait until tomorrow night to fill the IC lines and bleed the air. At which point, it's just recheck everything a dozen times, reinstall the ECU, connect the battery, remove the fuel fuse (as per 1999) and turn the key to start to check belt alignment. If all is well, turn the key a little further!

What am I missing?
CATTMAN

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 AM
This is as far as I got:
-ran the oil line from the car to the charger, and then the drain line from the charger to the lower oil supply galley.
-changed the oil and filter
-installed the air intake filter, and air plumbing to the charger

To do tomorrow, er, actually today:
-reinstall ECU
-connect power to the pump
-attach the intercooler's air and water connections
-fill IC lines with 50/50 and rest them to ensure no leaks, no air

I have to say, this kit is really ingenious. So clever, and so well made. There's not an inch to spare in the engine bay. And the folks at VF have been terrific with service and answering all my questions.

I would not recommend this as a DIY for most folks. It's a lot of work for the first time, and it's also physically demanding. If you have time, then sure, go for it, but don't do it the way I have: work all day in the office, then work all night in the shop. This installation really is a lot to take on. I am glad it did myself, and proud of all the problem solving, but it's certainly not for everyone, or in everyone's comfort zone, or patience threshold.

Anyway, I should be able to start it up shortly!
Of course, getting all the bumpers and underpanels back on will be a treat
CATTMAN

Attached Images  

Last edited by Cattman; 01-26-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:33 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !

Supersized!......Good thing u got a CPO on your car

Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by jjc4scab

Supersized!......Good thing u got a CPO on your car
You know what, my tech can still get stuff covered even with the SC on it. I'm telling you: take care of those who take care of you.

Guess what just arrived overnight via UPS? The tuned ECU! Looks like tonights the night, assuming I can get my to-do's done! Excitement, anticipation, terror are growing!
CATTMAN

Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Catt

got to tell you, I just read the ECU is in and my blood pressure went up
I wish I could hear that thing fire. I remember when I did my Big Block Rher Morrison fire.......anticipation is killer

Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 AM
silk is infamous around these partssilk is infamous around these parts
God damn Chinese Government, I can't see youtube in China !!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by silk
God damn Chinese Government, I can't see youtube in China !!
i was always wondering about that - so, you cannot even go out via paid proxy server bypassing any ip protocol level filters? that is sad if truly so.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
I think a video of starting the car for the first time is in order!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I think a video of starting the car for the first time is in order!

+1 trillion

Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Alright, you got it!
Let's just hope I can get to that point. My day in the office has gotten the better of me, and it looks like I won't get to the shop until around 7pm, which means another late night. I was hoping to leave early today and get a headstart, but nope.

Tonight has got to be it, because I am so on the deadline with upcoming travel, need to return the rental, and most of all, need life to get back to normal! This all day office/ all night shop thing is brutal.

I miss my wife and son. I feel like I've prioritized this project over them, and that's so out of whack.
CATTMAN

Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman

I miss my wife and son. I feel like I've prioritized this project over them, and that's so out of whack.
CATTMAN
LOL.....my wife LOVES when I do these projects......I go missing and we are BOTH happy!
Before starting John,check that the coil packs are plugged in,I forgot one when I first started mine up and you ain't felt terror UNTIL your car spits sputters and stalls after an install like this,LOL!
May ALL the luck be with you on this glorious day/night to a flawless start-up!

Stacy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman