997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:22 PM
CrossingGuard is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by justatoy
What would a second hand kit have to do with it...?
Are you thinking the compressor is worn out?
I hope it is not,especially since they do not have a lot of miles on them!
Not a warn compressor but maybe a loosely installed kit. Since the bench mark is 6PSI and confirmed by other owners, it would be safe to assume that because you did not see 5-6 psi, that your kit was not installed or performing as designed.
I guess the real test would be to have the system pressure tested from the MAF up. Do you own a smoke machine: http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...plus_evap.html

Old 01-28-2010, 04:23 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
What would a second hand kit have to do with it...?
Are you thinking the compressor is worn out?
I hope it is not,especially since they do not have a lot of miles on them!
Upon searching for 'WHY' I was only making 4 psi and countless dollars of searching for the problem....I finally found the truth from a VERY great source THAT 4PSI is all that the 3.8" pulley makes...and that is the pulley for the 3.8 L.
Maybe I am measuring the boost in the wrong spot....'Right behind the throttle body'...?
Originally Posted by CrossingGuard
I found this just now by using the search function: http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...era/index.html
Good article
Yeah that is a GREAT article!

BUT I am only letting people know what 3 separate dynos and a hand held boost gauge reported.....OH and over $1,000 chasing a ghost boost leak,THAT this stock 3.8 L kit only makes 4 PSI of boost!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Not a warn compressor but maybe a loosely installed kit. Since the bench mark is 6PSI and confirmed by other owners, it would be safe to assume that because you did not see 5-6 psi, that your kit was not installed or performing as designed.
I guess the real test would be to have the system pressure tested from the MAF up. Do you own a smoke machine: http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...plus_evap.html
Is it 5 or 6 psi......that is a big difference...NO..?
I do not own a smoke machine BUT that was what the first mechanic/dyno shop(Porsche shop too) did for me along with a whole tear down and re-install......just to find out my install was flawless...and 4 PSI was all it made.

Last edited by justatoy; 01-28-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:01 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
I have seen 2 kits now. 1 on a 996 and the red 997. They were both making 5.5-6psi at redline and huge power. Maybe you got a second hand kit?

The only Porsche engines that produce 5.8 psi of boost are the 3.4 engines and that is with a 3.80" pulley. All other engines, using the same pulley size. have less boost. The bigger the engine, the less the boost. There is also a 3.4 engine that is producing more than 9 psi of boost. Boost level is also dependent on what your redline is.

I know since you have "seen" 2 of these kits, you may be more of an expert than I am, but you should check your facts, anyway.

Please give be a REP for my advice to you. Thank you.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Why are you assuming I am a MAN? Aren't there any angry woman?

I am already heavily medicated, my frontal lobe has be removed and I consume large volumes of alcohol daily. Nothing seems to work. My only comfort comes from calling a spade a spade.

Some people are just sooo easy to push over the edge. Gotta love it.

Great post 1999.........spanked

Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !

Last edited by jjc4scab; 01-28-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Crossing Guard, do you work for VF E? You seem to know more then you are letting on to, especially for some one who has only seen two systems. 1999 and Justatoy have installed and succesfully modified there SC systems to produce the claimed HP if not more. They have provided a lot of supporting info to support there mods, this wasn't to make VF look bad, but rather to provide information to 6speed members with there experiences.

Thanks for providing some entertainment, as this forum has been a little slow lately.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
you could probably take off serpentine belt and rotate water pump manually and check for coolant movement.
The Supercharger's intercooler doesn't share coolant with the engine- it has it's own, closed, system.

Nonetheless, I think potentially it may just be full. We'll see.

Tonight I T'd into the hose from the throttle body with a handheld boost/ vacuum gauge to check for vacuum at idle. Once warm, it read about 20 units ofvacuum, which is right on target.

I also disconnected the oil supply line at the top of the charger, secured it inside a big bag and ran the engine for 2-3 seconds (thanks, 1999!) to ensure that oil was flowing to the charger. As you can see, the bag filled with oil very quickly, so there's definitely oil going through the charger, also right on target. And yes, I am Mr. ZipLock. Ignore the label on that oil bag though.

Next I just let it idle, warmed up, for about 10 mins, and it idled very smoothly and consistenly at about 700rpm, no white smoke, nothing alarming, just nice smooth juicy goodness. On target.

So I put on the rear decklid (with Misha GT2) wing, and GASP, it closed! All the way, no problem! I will trim the oil fill tube an inch perhaps, but not really necessary as it can be placed out of the way to close the lid. Again, right on target.

Next up: get back under the car to secure all the IC lines (brackets and zip ties), secure the new coolant pump wiring, and put the car's underpanels and front bumper back on in preparation for the maiden voyage tomorrow! I'll be VERY conservative at first, of course, and use my Durametric to clear all the codes that arose from the ECU being bench-flashed, and then start data-logging. I'll post the data logs here, or send to anyone interested, for evaluation of AFR, air intake temps, etc.

The rats are making a lot of noise tonight- I think the thrill of hearing my SC beast wake up got them frisky!

Finally, I wet my finger and drew an "SC" into the rear lid, in the dust. I am going to use the "S" and "C" from my old carrera S badge, paint them chrome, and put them on! You like that?

Attached Images     

Last edited by Cattman; 01-28-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Great news all around. Have fun on your "first drive" tomorrow!

You don't have to put the "S" and "C" on, you just scratched those letters into your paint with your finger and all that dust

Awesome job! You must be proud.

Last edited by ///MJFDDS; 01-28-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Great news all around. Have fun on your "first drive" tomorrow!

You don't have to put the "S" and "C" on, you just scratched those letters into your paint with your finger and all that dust

Awesome job! You must be proud.
Thanks, I do feel like I've accomplished something big.

In terms of having etched the "SC" into my paint, Haha, I know. Listen, I usually jump out of my skin when ANYTHING brushes against my paint, but after this installation, it ain't nothin. The entire car has had hands and fabrics all over it, not to mention all the nastiness of the dust, rats, etc.

I can polish all of those scratches and swirls out, so I am not worried. Yes, it'll take one of my 20 hr. details, but no big deal.

Actually, I may just write the check to my detail guy- no need to "prove" I can do it myself at this point
CATTMAN

Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Man that looks awesome! You really did a great job and should be proud.

Enjoy the maiden voyage and keep us posted, really looking forward hearing about your first impressions

Old 01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Congrats, I am very impressed!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:51 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
+1, I think we are all pretty impressed when someone accomplishes an install of this magnitude just as you and Stacy have.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 PM
+1, I think we are all pretty impressed when someone accomplishes an install of this magnitude just as you and Stacy have.
Thanks- all the support and interest is what kept me going. It's also this danged forum that even got me thinking about it in the first place- double-edged sword, that's for sure!

Stacy and I are blood brothers. We've both bled over this charger. I was on stage today giving a presentation of front a lot of people, all dressed in a grey Canali suit, shined up shoes, cuff-links, and my hands were covered in cuts and scabs, and my nails were nasty. Someone noticed and commented, LOL! At least I had good excuse!
CATTMAN

Old 01-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I am too,NO offense,BUT I didn't epect you to get through this as well as you did...SORRY,LOL!
BUT JOB WELL DONE FOR SURE!

Thanks...BUT like John,I could not have done the install without this forum and the pressure to get it done......OH and lets NOT forget all who helped myself and John get through it!
Standing ovation for them!

Originally Posted by Cattman
Stacy and I are blood brothers.
CATTMAN
No kidding.....BUT once you get used to the power...whatcha going do...?
Oh I know have me build a water/meth kit for you.....and UP the boost some more,LOL!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 01-28-2010 at 10:17 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman