997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works out Cattman! It certainly looks like a huge project, I wish you alot of luck. Please keep your camera close by to photograph the install step by step if at all possible. I'm sure everybody would love to watch it all come together!

Jay

Old 12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

John,

Just got back into town and got your message.

Congrats on the SC kit.

I will be traveling too much to be of much help on the install, but you are welcome to borrow my jack and 4 jack stands if you need them.

T

Old 12-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thanks, Terry, I may take you up on that offer.
Sears has the high-lift 3 ton stands on sale for $22 per pair, which is a great deal. However, I think I'll need your floor jack to get the car high enough to use them, since my jack only goes to 13 inches, and the lowest hight of the high-jack stands is just over that, LOL!
CATTMAN

Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Hey John,

Received the check/cheque today........because of the holidays I will be shipping the charger out for you on Dec. 28 th hopefully !

Sounds like you are already getting some great support ....!

Stacy

Old 12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Excellent!
I called Sean at VF-E today, just to introduce myself, find out what I should inspect on both my car, and the kit prior to installation. Asked if there are any wear items I should replace, and he said there are some bearings in the SC, which I can replace for $35, so that's a no-brainer.

I told him I already have 46k miles on the recipient car, and he said that's a baby, just getting broken in- I like this guy! Told him I expect to be over 150k with the SC, and he said should be fine. My confidence is building.

I asked if there were any tips, etc. and he said nothing special- estimated that about 20% of buyers install it themselves, which sounded high to me. He said their shop takes 1 guy 14 hrs for the whole job. Now that's humbling, as it will take me that long just to run the IC lines and install the radiator, LOL!

Bottom line, this was my first call with VF-E, who don't know me from Adam, and I already feel infinitely more confident in this project, and even though this is the 3rd car for this kit, they're 100% behind me with their support.

Bring it on, FedEx!
CATTMAN

Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
Excellent!
I called Sean at VF-E today, just to introduce myself, find out what I should inspect on both my car, and the kit prior to installation. Asked if there are any wear items I should replace, and he said there are some bearings in the SC, which I can replace for $35, so that's a no-brainer.

I told him I already have 46k miles on the recipient car, and he said that's a baby, just getting broken in- I like this guy! Told him I expect to be over 150k with the SC, and he said should be fine. My confidence is building.

I asked if there were any tips, etc. and he said nothing special- estimated that about 20% of buyers install it themselves, which sounded high to me. He said their shop takes 1 guy 14 hrs for the whole job. Now that's humbling, as it will take me that long just to run the IC lines and install the radiator, LOL!

Bottom line, this was my first call with VF-E, who don't know me from Adam, and I already feel infinitely more confident in this project, and even though this is the 3rd car for this kit, they're 100% behind me with their support.

Bring it on, FedEx!
CATTMAN

John,

I think I speak for many of us saying " We are all with you 100%. And if you need anything.......we are willing to help u out! " I was thinking about that offer of a garage in Toronto. That would be the nuts! I would come from NY, Ed and Stacy would come in fron Canada, and anyone else could come in. We would bang that thing out within a couple of hours and some beers!

Jim

Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM
The only part I'll really need a lift for is running the IC lines, installing the 3rd radiator, and connecting the water pump. And I think that can be done over a weekend with me and friend working on it, in which case, I believe a local shop is going to loan me a bay.

Once the IC lines are run, bled, and tested, the car may not even need to be on stands, no?
CATTMAN

Old 12-28-2009, 04:07 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !

Bring it on, FedEx!
CATTMAN
My gift to you John IS...shipping tomorrow and I am trying to get it 'Aired' to you...maybe 3 days if things work out,LOL!

Stacy

Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
Holy Smokers Cattman - you'll love the power from the SC. Stacey, what are your plans -w/o SC? JOHN...

Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
Sean@VF is infamous around these parts
Excellent!

Bring it on, FedEx!
CATTMAN

We are here for you John. We like to have customers with smiles on their faces and this will be your ticket! I have always been a BIG Porsche fan. I have even owned a 993 C4S for a short stint a few years back.

Give me a shout if there is anything that VF can help with.
-Sean

Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
John,

I think I speak for many of us saying " We are all with you 100%. And if you need anything.......we are willing to help u out! " I was thinking about that offer of a garage in Toronto. That would be the nuts! I would come from NY, Ed and Stacy would come in fron Canada, and anyone else could come in. We would bang that thing out within a couple of hours and some beers!

Jim
Jim,

Although many people from Toronto think that it is it's own separate world by itself, it is part of Canada. Stacy and I are on the West Coast, and Toronto...well that is in the middle of the frozen tundra!It would be about a 4 hour flight to get there, plus the 3 hours for pre boarding searches (thanks to the recent attempted bombing) then the 1 hour drive to the garage...the job should be done just in time for Stacy and I to enjoy the Pizza and Beer!

I'm in!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM
Might be easier to fly to ATL, eh? If you like, I'm up for guests. Still need to sort out a Skype video feed for the fun parts, or at least a tripod with pro HD camera for videos for YouTube.

As you know, preparation is 90% of success. So in terms of setting myself up for success, here's where I am so far:

-Space: Looks like I've got 2 really nice garage space options available for free, both with full lifts.

-Tools: I believe I've got all the tools I'll need, except for that elusive 12m Hex bit- can't find that anywhere! And there's always some socket or adapter that would make things easier, etc.

-Help: I've got a handy friend committed to helping, and my awesome Porsche tech is on standby. Plus I've got Stacy and all of you, as well as Sean at VF-E, and Mike at AWE for technical as well as moral support.

-Parts: the kit should be complete, plus all the extras Stacy either fabricated or included, like the EZ Springs, IC line brackets, extra pulleys, oil catch, etc. I will need several quarts of oil (heavier than then 0-40 I've been running) and coolant. May need spark plugs, TBD.

-Recipient vehicle: My 46k mile daily driver will receive a thorough inspection at the dealership tomorrow. They know my plan, my tech knows my car, and they are going to examine all stress areas closely.

-Fears: Well, I've read over VF-E's instructions & Stacy's original DIY thread several times, and I am not scared anymore. In fact, I can't wait to get started! Areas I think I will struggle with however, and this may sound crazy, but figuring out all those little plastic porsche clips- none of them seem to fasten the same way, and they're fragile. Getting them separated has been a PITA for me on other DIYs, so that is a concern. The commonly reported tough parts (injectors and SC mounting) are daunting, but somehow, it's the clips that are my biggest concern, LOL!

Kit should be here in a few days, hopefully, so might be able to get started this weekend!
CATTMAN

PS Only details I haven't prepared for are my wife's reaction, and sorting a rental car. Not sure how long I should contract a rental for- thinking 2 weeks, perhaps?

Last edited by Cattman; 12-29-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Might be easier to fly to ATL, eh? If you like, I'm up for guests. Still need to sort out a Skype video feed for the fun parts, or at least a tripod with pro HD camera for videos for YouTube.

As you know, preparation is 90% of success. So in terms of setting myself up for success, here's where I am so far:

-Space: Looks like I've got 2 really nice garage space options available for free, both with full lifts.

-Tools: I believe I've got all the tools I'll need, except for that elusive 12m Hex bit- can't find that anywhere! And there's always some socket or adapter that would make things easier, etc.

-Help: I've got a handy friend committed to helping, and my awesome Porsche tech is on standby. Plus I've got Stacy and all of you, as well as Sean at VF-E, and Mike at AWE for technical as well as moral support.

-Parts: the kit should be complete, plus all the extras Stacy either fabricated or included, like the EZ Springs, IC line brackets, extra pulleys, oil catch, etc. I will need several quarts of oil (heavier than then 0-40 I've been running) and coolant. May need spark plugs, TBD.

-Recipient vehicle: My 46k mile daily driver will receive a thorough inspection at the dealership tomorrow. The know my plan, my tech knows my car, and they are going to examine all stress areas closely.

-Fears: Well, I've read over VF-E's instructions & Stacy's original DIY thread several times, and I am not scared anymore. In fact, I can't wait to get started! Areas I think I will struggle with however, and this may sound crazy, but figuring out all those little plastic porsche clips- none of them seem to fasten the same way, and they're fragile. Getting them separated has been a PITA for me on other DIYs, so that is a concern. The commonly reported tough parts (injectors and SC mounting) are daunting, but somehow, it's the clips that are my biggest concern, LOL!

Kit should be here in a few days, hopefully, so might be able to get started this weekend!
CATTMAN

PS Only details I haven't prepared for are my wife's reaction, and sorting a rental car. Not sure how long I should contract a rental for- thinking 2 weeks, perhaps?

Using a lift is cheating and may result in less performance.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 12-29-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:27 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Jim,

Although many people from Toronto think that it is it's own separate world by itself, it is part of Canada. Stacy and I are on the West Coast, and Toronto...well that is in the middle of the frozen tundra!It would be about a 4 hour flight to get there, plus the 3 hours for pre boarding searches (thanks to the recent attempted bombing) then the 1 hour drive to the garage...the job should be done just in time for Stacy and I to enjoy the Pizza and Beer!

I'm in!
Awww,,,,we're not all bad, just 99.2% of us think this.....and just to be more precise.... we not a seperate world, just the center of the universe....

Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w00zie
Awww,,,,we're not all bad, just 99.2% of us think this.....and just to be more precise.... we not a seperate world, just the center of the universe....
During my 4 year sentence in Toronto, I use to refer to it as The Armpit of the Universe!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Sequel: SC install, DIY, Justatoy to Cattman