997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT3 Bumper .. screens? carbon fiber smile?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
patrija is infamous around these parts
GT3 Bumper .. screens? carbon fiber smile?

I'll be installing a GT3 bumper on my '07 C4S Cabriolet. Car is Basalt Black. After a bunch of searches here, I'm debating two things:

1) Should I purchase and install screens? Seems that it will keep the big stuff out, but let the small stuff in ... and be harder to clearn out. Is it worth it?

2) The standard bumper smile is plastic. The only reason I see to go carbon fiber is looks ... so the question, will it look $600+ better than the black plastic on a car that is black basalt??

Thank you for the opinions!
-J

Old 12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Just the GT3 bumper.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:00 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
the screens seem to be a nice option, just cleaned my radiators out and its amazing how many leaves and cigarette butts get caught in there!

as for the CF smile, i would leave it out. Not worth $600 and hardly will be noticeable over the standard black plastic.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spudz5
the screens seem to be a nice option, just cleaned my radiators out and its amazing how many leaves and cigarette butts get caught in there!

as for the CF smile, i would leave it out. Not worth $600 and hardly will be noticeable over the standard black plastic.
Especially when you need to replace it once it touches ground..AND YES it WILL!

That front end/bumper is low!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:15 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Agreed. Also, don't need the CF Grill; especially on a basalt black.

Originally Posted by lardog
Just the GT3 bumper.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
One other option is vinyl. You can get vinyl in textured carbon fibre that looks really good, and DIY. And you can put fresh vinyl on when it gets too scraped up. No sense at all in doing real carbon. Leave it as is, or play with the vinyl. For the cost, you've nothing to lose.
CATTMAN

Old 12-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'd get the screens - I did in fact. If you are a DIY kinda guy, they are virtually zero cost while the bumper is still off the car. And if you buy the Cargraphic grills it's a little spendy (for what they are) but they guarantee a good job. They do protect the radiators that are perilously close to the ground and take some pelting of rocks and debris.
I haven't noticed accumulation of anything to speak of behind the screens, so i wouldn't worry about having to pull the bumper off on a regular basis.
Re the smile thing, are you talking about the upper/vent piece -between the trunk and the bumper, or the lower splitter? In neither case would I recommend CF - certainly not the splitter. It's a 'consumable' part that requires replacement on an annual basis (more or less) as it gets nicked on driveways and parking lot curbs.
Finally, while you have the bumper out, and particularly if you buy the Cargraphic grills, I'd suggest that you install the center radiator. It's simple while the 'patient is open' and simply offers more headroom for the cooling system. Plus the upper/vent piece is simply ornamental unless you add the radiator.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
I'd suggest that you install the center radiator. It's simple while the 'patient is open' and simply offers more headroom for the cooling system.
What leads you to believe that a non-FI 997 needs additional cooling? These cars are engineered (and proven) to withstand anything we can dish out, in just about any conditions.
CATTMAN

Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks, this is great feedback!

The carbon fiber piece that I was refering to is the "smile" vent. Definitely staying plastic on the $200 donor piece, also known as the lower splitter. Based on the feedback, I'm going to stay plastic on the vent too.

I'll check pricing on the third radiator. I'm stil trying to figure out whether I'm going to do this through insurance (see my thread about a fox) or just pay for it out of pocket.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Definitely get the screens. As a few people have mentioned, you'll be amazed at how much garbage and road debris will get stuck in there without the screens' protection.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
+1 on getting the screens. I'm always amazed after a long drive how much crap is trapped on the front of mine. Here's a pic (Cargraphic screen).

In terms of the graphic vent piece, unless you have more carbon on the exterior of the car (side view mirrors, lower lip, etc.), I say keep the black plastic one.

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by JoeShark
+1 on getting the screens. I'm always amazed after a long drive how much crap is trapped on the front of mine. Here's a pic (Cargraphic screen).

In terms of the graphic vent piece, unless you have more carbon on the exterior of the car (side view mirrors, lower lip, etc.), I say keep the black plastic one.
Joe - What are your thoughts on having had the plastic lip painted? Would you have left it black plastic in hindsight?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by patrija
Joe - What are your thoughts on having had the plastic lip painted? Would you have left it black plastic in hindsight?
Hmmmm, interesting thought? Never even considered it but I think it might look good on a black car. Anybody else think so? Anybody else done it? Pic's?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:50 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JoeShark
Hmmmm, interesting thought? Never even considered it but I think it might look good on a black car. Anybody else think so? Anybody else done it? Pic's?
i'd leave it plastic. the matte plastic look gives a contrast to the paint of the car. might get blended in if you paint it. also its the nose of the car so it will be prone to rock chips.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Definitely get the screens. As a few people have mentioned, you'll be amazed at how much garbage and road debris will get stuck in there without the screens' protection.
Is your shop closed the week of XMas? I'm driving from ATL to FLL and may have some time to burn on Monday and Tuesday. Thought maybe I'd take a drive to check out some of the local shops.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Bumper .. screens? carbon fiber smile?