997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in

I promised a bunch of you a review when I picked up my car. Here's what I just had done:

997 Panamericana Roll Bar (X design)
GT2 Sport Bucket seats / BK Sub Mounts and FE Mount
Schroth Profi 2-H (Hans 6-points)
Porsche SSK
Softronic for 997.2 DFI

Conditions at pick-up. Well, it was cold, about 32 degrees, sunny & clear.

Talked with both Scott Slausen and Dan Jacobs of Softronic / Hairy Dog Grrrage about how they felt things came out. Scott left my rev limit alone (which I asked for) and we talked a lot about how he works the software - much more complex than I thought (he's an engineer on top of being a Porsche premier master tech). Dan and Scott both really liked how the car came together, still a great and comfortable street car, but now sporting OEM track goodies. In the spring we added 997 Cup control arms (the 997 forged ones, not the typical 996 cast ones), tarett rears, etc. so we're now 100% complete.

The seating position of the GT2 shells is up pretty high, higher than I normally sat with the factory Sport seats. That causes the top of the roll bar to block the top 15% or so of the rear view mirror. Going to see if there's any solution, but I doubt it. Seats after the 40 minute drive home were extremely comfortable, more so than I thought possible. Just the right amount of thigh support - could drive in these all day.

The SSK was a little hard getting used to because it was much shorter. Why won't it go into R, oh wait, it is in R - it's that close now... Those that have posted they couldn't really tell if they actually got a Porsche SSK can't have because this is VERY different than the OEM one. I love it - just like I remember my 997 GT3 shifter, but with the softer gate spring of the OEM shifter. That's one thing about the GT3 shifter I didn't like - on the street the spring felt too hard, just like the clutch spring. So this is the best of both worlds - the nice short throw of the GT3 and the compliant spring of the 997 OEM.

The Softronic really did make a very nice difference, right from the get-go - in terms of smoothing out the throttle response. I always had a slight hesitation as the car spooled up, especially when cold. The same thing most of us have been complaining about. Gone! The Softronic map is wonderfully linear. Can't really talk about gains because every day is a different one with respect to influences on power. But I will say that the car felt very strong and eager. There may be a combination of things coming into play for the improvement I felt: Lost weight on the seats, gained a little back with the lightweight 997 bar, Softronic in conjunction with the SharkWerks primary bypass, the SSK giving crisper shifting, etc.

Very pleased and can't wait for spring's DE season to come. Traqmate data will help demonstrate the gains. I'll be giving my students some fun rides at Lime Rock, Monticello, and Watkins Glen!

Summary to date:
SharkWerks primary bypass.
997 Cup control arms / Tarett rear toe control arms (-2.3 front camber).
SRF fluid / PFC 97 Pads.
Volk TE37 18x8.5 and 18x11 forged wheels / Toyo RA1 245/305 shaved 5/32.
997 Panamericana Roll Bar (X design).
GT2 Sport Bucket seats / BK Sub Mounts and FE Mount / Amerex FE.
Schroth Profi 2-H (Hans 6-points).
Porsche SSK.

Attached Images     
Old 12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! The car looks hot! Nice mods btw...

Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Are those the OEM European 997 GT2 seats? The $8k ones from SunCoast? They look amazing. Wait, stop, walk away John, close your eyes, and slowly walk away!
CATTMAN

Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
BruceWonder is infamous around these parts
nice mods...looks killer. now go get them at the track tiger grrrrrrr lol

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Nice mods Ron!

As for the seat height, check out the Brey Krause seat risers. I believe they lower the seat by about 1"

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
I promised a bunch of you a review when I picked up my car. Here's what I just had done:

997 Panamericana Roll Bar (X design)
GT2 Sport Bucket seats / BK Sub Mounts and FE Mount
Schroth Profi 2-H (Hans 6-points)
Porsche SSK
Softronic for 997.2 DFI

Conditions at pick-up. Well, it was cold, about 32 degrees, sunny & clear.

Talked with both Scott Slausen and Dan Jacobs of Softronic / Hairy Dog Grrrage about how they felt things came out. Scott left my rev limit alone (which I asked for) and we talked a lot about how he works the software - much more complex than I thought (he's an engineer on top of being a Porsche premier master tech). Dan and Scott both really liked how the car came together, still a great and comfortable street car, but now sporting OEM track goodies. In the spring we added 997 Cup control arms (the 997 forged ones, not the typical 996 cast ones), tarett rears, etc. so we're now 100% complete.

The seating position of the GT2 shells is up pretty high, higher than I normally sat with the factory Sport seats. That causes the top of the roll bar to block the top 15% or so of the rear view mirror. Going to see if there's any solution, but I doubt it. Seats after the 40 minute drive home were extremely comfortable, more so than I thought possible. Just the right amount of thigh support - could drive in these all day.

The SSK was a little hard getting used to because it was much shorter. Why won't it go into R, oh wait, it is in R - it's that close now... Those that have posted they couldn't really tell if they actually got a Porsche SSK can't have because this is VERY different than the OEM one. I love it - just like I remember my 997 GT3 shifter, but with the softer gate spring of the OEM shifter. That's one thing about the GT3 shifter I didn't like - on the street the spring felt too hard, just like the clutch spring. So this is the best of both worlds - the nice short throw of the GT3 and the compliant spring of the 997 OEM.

The Softronic really did make a very nice difference, right from the get-go - in terms of smoothing out the throttle response. I always had a slight hesitation as the car spooled up, especially when cold. The same thing most of us have been complaining about. Gone! The Softronic map is wonderfully linear. Can't really talk about gains because every day is a different one with respect to influences on power. But I will say that the car felt very strong and eager. There may be a combination of things coming into play for the improvement I felt: Lost weight on the seats, gained a little back with the lightweight 997 bar, Softronic in conjunction with the SharkWerks primary bypass, the SSK giving crisper shifting, etc.

Very pleased and can't wait for spring's DE season to come. Traqmate data will help demonstrate the gains. I'll be giving my students some fun rides at Lime Rock, Monticello, and Watkins Glen!

Summary to date:
SharkWerks primary bypass.
997 Cup control arms / Tarett rear toe control arms (-2.3 front camber).
SRF fluid / PFC 97 Pads.
Volk TE37 18x8.5 and 18x11 forged wheels / Toyo RA1 245/305 shaved 5/32.
997 Panamericana Roll Bar (X design).
GT2 Sport Bucket seats / BK Sub Mounts and FE Mount / Amerex FE.
Schroth Profi 2-H (Hans 6-points).
Porsche SSK.

Ron,
Great job......What is the school at the glenn that you instruct? Havent been there in a while and would luv to meet up with you when you go. Its about an hour and a half from me

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Those are the Sport Buckets that are $6500 at Suncoast, but I got a killer deal on a set of "take offs". You know, one of those 2009 PDK Launch Cars that came with the GT2 seats that people then said to the dealer "I'll buy the car if you put some normal seats in it..." There's a guy over at RennList right now that wants to buy a Launch Car, but can't stand the shell seats and is asking why he can't get the dealer to swap. Simple solution is to buy the car and then swap out the seats for another guy like me (wink-wink, go find that thread at RennList and PM the guy!).

I don't think I can lower the seats by a BK part. Right now we need the BK Sub Strap mounts and there wasn't even enough clearance under the passenger seat to get the FE mount there because of the airbag pressure sensor (ie: Nobody sitting there, it won't go off). I'll ask my shop if they can do that or something else - thanks for the tip!

Instruct for PCA CVR chapter - boy do I wish WGI was only 1.5 hours!!! About 5 for me, but Monticello is under 2 and Lime Rock is only 1.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Those are the Sport Buckets that are $6500 at Suncoast, but I got a killer deal on a set of "take offs". You know, one of those 2009 PDK Launch Cars that came with the GT2 seats that people then said to the dealer "I'll buy the car if you put some normal seats in it..." There's a guy over at RennList right now that wants to buy a Launch Car, but can't stand the shell seats and is asking why he can't get the dealer to swap. Simple solution is to buy the car and then swap out the seats for another guy like me (wink-wink, go find that thread at RennList and PM the guy!).

I don't think I can lower the seats by a BK part. Right now we need the BK Sub Strap mounts and there wasn't even enough clearance under the passenger seat to get the FE mount there because of the airbag pressure sensor (ie: Nobody sitting there, it won't go off). I'll ask my shop if they can do that or something else - thanks for the tip!

Instruct for PCA CVR chapter - boy do I wish WGI was only 1.5 hours!!! About 5 for me, but Monticello is under 2 and Lime Rock is only 1.

Actually your avatar looks like WGI armco Let me know when the school is , and I will go.....actually I might try to convince Nthusiast also to go and bum his ride since I am topless

Jim

Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Yep, that "Watkins Glen Powder Blue Armco" is burned into my retinas! Here are a few other shots (first 4 are thumbnails, but 5th one enlarges - note, those were my early 2009 19" Volks, I now have 18s w/ RA1s).

Attached Images      
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 AM
carfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura aboutcarfan has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the info !

The Softronics flash is with cable through OBD port, right ? No need to take out the ECU ?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Right, Scott connected right up to the OBD, worked his magic, and that was it.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Too bad the BK seat risers won't work, I am going to get a set for my seats, as they sit higher then the *** that came with the car.

On another note, I thought that you went away from the GT3 as you needed a back seat. You back seat looks like mine does!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Nah, I didn't give up the GT3 for lack of a back seat. When my daughter was young, it was nice to have the flexibility (she's still a peanut, but now in college). It was that the GT3 just wasn't a street-friendly car here in CT. Scraped on everything, stiff clutch pedal, etc.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Nah, I didn't give up the GT3 for lack of a back seat. When my daughter was young, it was nice to have the flexibility (she's still a peanut, but now in college). It was that the GT3 just wasn't a street-friendly car here in CT. Scraped on everything, stiff clutch pedal, etc.
I see, it is kind of nice having a C2S looking bone stock and making the GT3 work hard to stay with you

Old 12-14-2009, 09:09 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Looking good Ron! I would have the same seats but as you can see how high the GT2 seats sit up there is no way I can fit....I tried too! These seats also do not go as far back as stock manual seats.

I looked into a BK mount for these seats to lower them and move them back but there is nothing out there that works. This really sucks for me.

I would love to find a 6 point harness seat that manually moves up-down height and forward and back so that both my wife and I can drive the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in