997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:25 AM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
I stopped reading after the second page and wanted to post. I work in retail and the place I work is located in a mall. So if I were to drive the car to work each day, I would be parking it for 8+ hours a day in a mall parking lot. No thank you. My daily driven car is already victim to so much parking lot abuse.

As for my co-workers, I am pretty much an open book. They know I own the Porsche as do many of my customers and most could care less. They think it is a nice car, but I think most of the people I work with and the customers I deal with, understand that I work extremely hard and saved for a very long time to be in a position to afford this car.

I do get the occasional, "<company name> must be treating you very well, I need to get a job here," but most of the time it is followed with a pat on the back and quick, just kidding smile/acknowledgement.

I have found while driving the car, because of some of the after market modifications (wheels, suspension and body kit) I get a lot of, "that is one of the nicer Porsche I've seen," but then again, it is more by people with an appreciation for the car, then any sort of bias about me owning one. I feel as though I am on the younger spectrum of what society probably thinks is the age group that would own a car like this, but I never really let that consume my thoughts.

I worked and work very hard to own this car and support my car enthusiast addiction. While I would love to live in a world where I could drive this everyday and not worry about rock chips, being keyed, accidents, parking lot dings and theft, for now the car remains my weekend warrior/car show toy. Perhaps one day it will become my daily driven car, but I am guessing that will be a day I have another horse in the stable.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 AM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
I park it in the rear of the lot next to other sports cars. It would never get swiped unless intentionally. I make sure my patients don't see me pull in or out as I come and go. When they see me I always hear about it (and my fees).

Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 AM
djlod is infamous around these parts
I often park my car towards the back of the parking lot.
If coworkers see me, often times I would tell them that it's my dad's car (I look young).
I try/want to be low-key, but I guess that doesn't work if you drive a 997.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:06 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Interesting post as I just bought mine on December 21st and I was thinking that I'm unsure if I should drive it to work. Our office has windows facing the parking lot, so everyone would see me get in and out of it. I live just 1/2 mile from work, so I'm thinking that I will just walk, which is good for two reasons. I am a bit concerned that my coworkers and boss may think about it more than they need to if they see me in that car.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
The 911 only makes the trek to work on a call weekend... when it's still pitch black out at 5 AM, so no one sees it. Next move is to tint the windows about 90%- might take it out a bit more then

Old 12-27-2009, 04:35 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
Im starting to think 75% of the people on this thread are in the medical field...sure seems that way...

Porsche sales could go down by 25% in the US if Obama has his way with healthcare...kiddin.

We should have a role call on our sub-specialties..

Old 12-27-2009, 07:10 PM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
I think people here are more curious about individual's incomes than what specialty.

Hmmm... was that politically incorrect?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
amylynn is infamous around these parts
I don't hide mine like a dirty little secret.

I find it more amusing, that people (coworkers, strangers, etc) assume my car (4S cab) belongs to my husband.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 PM
LeNoah is infamous around these parts
My 997S is my daily driver so goes to work with me every day. My office is in Fashion Island in Newport Beach so it doesn't raise an eyebrow. I try to find an end spot when possible so I can park off to the side. No problems so far. BTW I'm a Realtor not an M.D.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM
tourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud oftourbillon001 has much to be proud of
I just bought my 997.2S as a Daily driver

To be honest most people don't notice the car at all. The one thing people comment on is the fact that I have a car seat in the back. I actually bought the Porsche because I thought it WAS NOT showy. I have a yellow Gallardo that i consider showy and i won't drive that to meet clients but I have no issue with the Porsche. Its basically the same as my partner driving his 7 series except mine is a bit more fun.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 PM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mact3333
for right now it doesnt, but you will find out soon enough it will...dont have time to explain it ya though......just watch, in a few yrs, not only will you worry about where you park your Porsche but you will also be concerned when/where you drive it...but hey Im a big picture type of person...its all fun and games til someone loses an eye......hope you remember this post a few yrs from now, then you will understand.
Don't worry...I know exactly what you are talking about!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Heyspike is infamous around these parts
Boy this is an interesting thread. I'm a Porscheless wanna be. I love cars, look and dream about them all the time. I go back and forth from Vettes (use to have 86 vert), to 911's. When I see one in the parking lot, the first thing that comes to mind is, man that's a beauty, but in the back of my head, I'm thinking "wonder how much he/she makes". Then usually hope to see the owner to talk to him or her about it.
I have taken the vette to the firehouse, the guys at work could give a $*&t, but I have to worry about the neighborHOOD. So When my day comes and I finally get one, I probably will not be taken it to work, just cause I would like it to be there in the morning when I get off duty.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
schwartzwest is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Yes...for now. I am just outside downtown Vancouver. 1 Block away from the new Olympic Athletes Village.
You work at the McDonald's on Main or you're a cop?

But to the question at hand...

I have what I think are two very nice cars. I am also the president and major shareholder of my company which I started and have built up over ten years. I do get the occasional comments, but I care more about myself and enjoying my life than I do about others' comments. I also find it interesting that one of the principals of our company (who is now a good friend of mine) came over to our firm because (he later told me) he saw what I was driving and saw what his boss and principals at where he worked were driving (older Volvos, etc) and saw his future. Needless to say I hired him, and it has been a mutually beneficial relationship ever since!

Last edited by schwartzwest; 01-18-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Heyspike
Boy this is an interesting thread. I'm a Porscheless wanna be. I love cars, look and dream about them all the time. I go back and forth from Vettes (use to have 86 vert), to 911's. When I see one in the parking lot, the first thing that comes to mind is, man that's a beauty, but in the back of my head, I'm thinking "wonder how much he/she makes". Then usually hope to see the owner to talk to him or her about it.
I have taken the vette to the firehouse, the guys at work could give a $*&t, but I have to worry about the neighborHOOD. So When my day comes and I finally get one, I probably will not be taken it to work, just cause I would like it to be there in the morning when I get off duty.
Yes, I feel that when I drive it to certain areas it attracts unwanted attention, but it doesn't too much where I work. I don't drive it to work much, but I can have it blend in a bit since out of 120 cars or so, there are 3 other 911s and 2 Boxsters plus other high end stuff. It's when I go to a mall or movie theater that it draws attention or even shopping or dining in San Jose.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mact3333
Fang,

I erased my long post as i didnt want to be too preachy on here...but lets not kid ourselves, we do work hard and did work hard but so does the ditchdigger and cashier working two jobs at 10.00 an hr...we all worked hard in different ways...as my previous post noted, many of us are a few missed question away on our MCAT, LSAT, GMAT, etc to becoming something in which we couldnt afford a Porsche...I believe 95% of society has similar smarts but our previous environment either allowed us to cultivate this or it didnt...the smartest guys/gals I know dont have a phd or even a college degree...its all about perspective...when i see how much I make compared to a teacher or firefighter then I seem overpaid...but when I compare myself to a pro athlete or someone in entertainment industry I seem underpaid given what I do is prob more important objectively than what Tiger Woods does putting ball in a hole.

Superficially, its easy to say I went to school for 12 yrs and studied numerous hrs and gave away my youth but what about the person struggling working as a cashier somewhere raising 2 kids alone?...didnt they suffer too?...what about the person who has to work 2 jobs to put food on the table for their kids, they too are working hard...my point, many people work hard and trust me, many of them are just as smart as you are...didnt you watch Trading Places with Eddie Murphy?...

To say luck doesnt play an important role in where we are at is silly...how many times did you barely get an A in some of those college classes or tests...how many times did you almost wreck or get hit by a car as a child?...how many good stock picks did you have during the tech bubble and then the real estate bubble thinking Ive done my due diligence and these stocks have good earnings and good growth while investing in the biggest bubble of all time?...we are all geniuses until we take a step back and see the big picture.

My point is this, we should be very thankful for what we have cause no matter how solid you think your situation is, it isnt...we are allowed to collect materialistic things because the elites in charge have the ability to create asset bubbles one after another...the federal reserve has depreciated the dollar by more than 98% since its inception in 1913...this creates inflation and high prices and real estate/stock appreciation...for high income earners it is an advantage...but to the middle class and poor it hurts them as the things they need to survive has the same cost as it does for high earners, hence there is nothing left over...in our fiat based economy, money is credit/debt...debt is the modern day form of slavery.

Wonder why both parents now have to work to make ends meet?...ever think that if the people being kept dumb and docile via American Idol television pacification woke up one day to see how society really works, then our way of life might just change...healthcare might be valued alot less than it currently is...revolutions happen when the masses cant take any anymore and have nothing to lose...you will see what Im talking about in 2-3 yrs...but then again, I always try to look 2-3 yrs out.

BTW, Im in one of the easy sub-specialties you mentioned above so maybe Im abit jaded.......some may wonder why I even drive a Porsche given my strange beliefs...I have always been a car person and always will be...but I know enough to realize how lucky we are and appreciate everything I have cause believe me, society doesnt owe us a Porsche for getting good grades in school and having a high MCAT score and losing some sleep while on call...life is much more complicated than that.

Wow, what a tangent this thread has taken thanks to my inane diatribe....
Well said, mact...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?