997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:08 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Howie
I've only had my porsche for 4 weeks, and it's my first one.

I have one neighbour who knows about the car as I have it parked in his garage that we share. The other side don't know about it as the garage is accessible by a side street not visible to the main road. That neighbour(s), had always commented about me always turning up at home with new cars, making a small poke at me at the same time. I just don't know how they would react or perceive us as we live in a modest house with no kids. They have kids and they always seem worn out (tired) working secondary jobs to make ends meet.

I'm painfully aware of how this may appear to our neighbourhood even though in Australia we have been spared by most of the global economic pain everyone else is experiencing.
From neighborhood perspective best way to make friends - let them try to feel it like your are one of them and is no different. I simply did let neighbor I know and who likes to speak A LOT around to drive my new car around a block as he stopped by to look at it and I think it made his year as he now constantly stops by to shake hands and speaks about his early days when he had a vette, etc. So, you got to make friends somehow to be friends with people.

Work situation is different. No matter how it goes, especially if you are a boss over somebody and have bosses above you - you are always compromising. One thing for sure - you cannot be nice with everybody and you cannot befriend everybody. You have to choose whose feelings you do not give rats` *** over and whose feelings do matter, then behave accordingly.

I would agree with most people here saying it is damaging to show your exotic car to your clients if it is not commonly expected in this line of work.
As of relations with peers - they will always find what to hate you for - for bonus you got, for promotion, for anything that may be suspected makes you better than them - so, it is a fine edge to walk on. I would be more concerned about effect your flashy statements make to your superiors, there is ethic of workplace that most people obey - like how much your suit should cost, or not to wear latest 20K Gucci bag with your lunchbox in it, etc.
Flashing your 911 to your boss everyday if you know he got 4 kids and drives Sienna to work may be not your wisest career move. If you know your superior just got new Ferrari and into such toys a lot - then overwise, it may be considered as a positive move from your side to 'blend in' with his style. Act accordingly to your situation and decide for yourself.

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-16-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
This thread was more provacative than I had anticipated when I posted. Great responses.

BTW - My boss had a scale cast model 911TT on his shelf ,and we have had several conversations about cars when he first started. He mentioned his old company had several engineers with Porsches, and he seemed to celebrate the fact.... so I felt it was relatively 'safe' in his eyes. A few weeks later, over a beer on a business trip, I let him know that I was making the purchase. I realize he's my boss first (not my freind) so I know there is an element of risk...but I needed to manage the message, at least with him.

Managing my colleagues' comments has been much more challenging. It's really good to hear that others work at being self-aware, too. It seems that most of the P-drivers in here are human.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM
tyounker is infamous around these parts
Just tell people you are doing your part to stimulate the economy!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Tattoo is infamous around these parts
Funny, but no one has mentioned the root cause of our dilemna here: the Porsche 911 demographic. If we Google this we will invariably find that the owner of a 911 is a white male, 35-50, well educated, with a gross household income of 300k+. Seems like in the public's eyes that makes us all public enemy #1.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:58 AM
porscheconvert is infamous around these parts
The brand image was one of the "deterrents" before my recent purchase. I've created a comfortable talk track that works for me:
-I don't have a $300 a month golf habit
-I don't do clubs, drugs, or hookers
-At the end of the day, used Porsches aren't really that much $

In my ecosystem, there is less emphasis on one's brand image - particularly with what you drive. However, this simply could be a movement in my own personal maturity curve. I've come to realize that if clients, employees, or exec leadership are affected by what you drive and change behavior because of it, perhaps your value proposition to them just isn't that strong...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Well, in my case... most of the companies I deal with have money and the owners of said companies have money, but the people I work with from those companies don't make allot. Many drive a leased prius and live in one bedroom apartments and pull down about $60k a year. While their boss may relate to the porsche in the same way I do, I rarely see the company heads.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I don't drive my 911 to work. It is a weekend driver. Some of my colleagues know I have a 911 at home.....no real reaction either way. I work for a German company and I told them how many people were dumping 911s this summer due to the economic situation. As a result I got a 2008 S with 50 miles on it from a dealer for a lot less than a new Boxster would cost in Germany. My German friends are happy for me and jealous, too.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Speaking of neighbors...

My next door neighbor is a guy in his late 60's. He thinks he knows everything about cars. He has a previous generation MB SL500. Before whenever I'd see him driving it, he'd stop and talk to me. Usually about how his car was so awesome, and how much power it had, and how people look at him whenever he drives it, etc...

Ever since I got my 911, he no longer stops to talk to me. Actually he has only spoken to me once since I got it. He asked me "Whose car is that?". It had been in my garage for a month and he'd seen me driving it plenty. Jealous much?

My response to people that mumble "Don't you know we're in a recession?" "Yeah, I know. I wanted a Lamborghini, but could only afford a Porsche" That'll shut em up.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I didn't get my 911 to impress others. I got the car because it impresses me ( and 911s have impressed me for many years). I do not care one bit if anyone sees me or looks at me ( actually I prefer not to attract attention). I simply want to enjoy driving my car.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Cayman S 2009 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I didn't get my 911 to impress others. I got the car because it impresses me ( and 911s have impressed me for many years). I do not care one bit if anyone sees me or looks at me ( actually I prefer not to attract attention). I simply want to enjoy driving my car.
ah. that's me.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
I drive the C63 to the hospital, no one looks twice. With impending healthcare reform, no need for patients to see the GT2, though most won't know the difference between that and a Boxster, they already think we're overpaid for what we do.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:15 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tattoo
Funny, but no one has mentioned the root cause of our dilemna here: the Porsche 911 demographic. If we Google this we will invariably find that the owner of a 911 is a white male, 35-50, well educated, with a gross household income of 300k+. Seems like in the public's eyes that makes us all public enemy #1.
Also, top sales market is Los Angeles. Everyone is jealous of LA.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
@work in Silicon Valley, nobody seems to care about my 911. There are 4 other 911's in my company and those that don't have one could probably afford one.

@home is a different story. I used to have a neighbor that would give a friendly wave every time I drove by but not anymore. It's very odd to me as they own a Boxster...

Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
I love driving my car to work and I could care less what people think I worked hard my whole life to get this car. People are usually cool and give me the dumbs up and want to talk about it with me.which I love to do.the only problem is I have to park it in an area that no one else parks because I am afraid of someone opening there door and dinging me.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM
RyanJ is infamous around these parts
I'm thoroughly entertained by this thread. I've picked up on 3 camps, so far. It be interesting to run a personality test. This is just for entertainment value...but what do you think?

(GroupA) "Oh, please. Don't park your car at work."
On some level you are a bit embarassed about exposing your wealth. Group C would call you a Pu33y. You vote along party lines. Married your first real girlfriend. Might go to church/temple. People think you are a good person. They respect you. Upstanding citizen. Never divorced. 1.3 children. Faithful labrador at home. Kind of bored, though.
(GroupB) "If you are going to do it, at least park far away".
You analyze things. You might have a conflicted constitution as you try to please too many people, so must make personal sacrafices. You might vote independent or switch parties depending on the candidate. You might have been divorced...or had an affair, but kept it secret. Might have a cat and dog. Tend to talk alot. Have lots of varied interests, but are not passionate about any one thing.
(GroupC) "Who the F**K@ cares. I earned it! I'll drive it anywhere, anytime."
You think getting 2nd place only means you lost first.
A's might think you are a heartless devil. You intimidate them.
Divorced multiple times. Had sex with the baby sitter
On the road to super-wealth...but destined to loose it all.
B's think you either have really big or really small ***** (...like Vette owners who have something to hide. ha ha).
You had a dog, but forgot to board it during your vacation in the caymans with a tropicana model dental assistant you met at the gym but then left in the hotel when you came back to the states. Doesn't matter...you can get a new girlfrind. Loosing the dog kind of sucked though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?