997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I don't drive my 911 to work....I drive my Cayenne TT, the office can hear me when I start the 911 and leave...goof-offs

Old 12-16-2009, 03:17 PM
home7271 is infamous around these parts
Funny how the same question can be asked about wearing expensive watches, too.

Different people have different reasons for aquiring these expensive possessions. Most of us on the forums are enthusiasts and I think it is important to enjoy the 'toys' you own regardless of other people's judgements.

It's always refreshing to run into fellow enthusiasts and just talk about the cars (or watches) for what they are and not how much they cost or the status it brings.

I would always be respectful to other people no matter if it's about the car you drive, where you live or what kind of job you have. As long as I feel I conduct myself respectfully, it is not important what other people think.

Mike

Old 12-16-2009, 03:29 PM
jca3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fahrer
I didn't get my 911 to impress others. I got the car because it impresses me ( and 911s have impressed me for many years). I do not care one bit if anyone sees me or looks at me ( actually I prefer not to attract attention). I simply want to enjoy driving my car.
ditto

Old 12-16-2009, 03:52 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mshanler
I've been getting some ribbing lately. Has anyone else gone through this?

............. "You drive that to work?!?!"

I try to stay low key - I don't flaunt it and I'm not a flashy person, but the car does stand out a bit. I'm not worried about my car getting keyed or anything like that.........but I need to preserve the intangibles that affect the professional relationships - especially with the folks I DON'T intimately know at work. Any insight on owner-psychology or how people handle this is appreciated.
There is no way I could EVER drive or let anyone in my line of work know I have a Porsche. My customers would be jealous and it would affect sales. I got grief with my BMW X3...I now get grief about my Mini Cooper S.....forget about them knowing I have a Porsche. 4 years ago I took my wifes BMW 740i on a business road trip. I was parked at one of my stores I sell to and the store owner gave me a huge amount of crap. He call my company and gave them crap saying I am making too much and he needs a better deal. My company gave me crap about driving such a nice expensive car like that to a store. Lesson learned....people are weird.

Last edited by mdrums; 12-16-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:50 PM
mact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of lightmact3333 is a glorious beacon of light
regarding earlier post dealing with watches, while I am embarrassed to drive the Porsche, Im not embarrassed to wear nice watches since most people wouldnt know a Panerai/Patek/Breitling/IWC/ etc from a Seiko...now Rolex they would recognize hence I would never wear a Rolex...now Porsche everyone recognizes and some do stigmatize you for it unfortunately.

I find you can be an elitist with watches with 99% of society not finding out, hence watch collection is a fun hobby.

Last edited by mact3333; 12-16-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RyanJ
I'm thoroughly entertained by this thread. I've picked up on 3 camps, so far. It be interesting to run a personality test. This is just for entertainment value...but what do you think?
Very interesting and funny Ryan!!

Definitely Group C for me, but only about the cars, skip all the personality stuff...

I drive either club coupe or CTT to work daily. Parked right behind my office. All my patients know I like Porsches. I have Porsche posters and scaled Porsche car models everywhere in my office. I even have a large painting of my club coupe hanging on the corridor wall.

Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2009, 05:45 PM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
I work at Canadian tire which is kinda like a walmart/homedepot/autozone type retail store. I probably don't make anywhere near what most of you do and bend over backwards to afford my baby. The only way I can justify it to my staff is to explain that I own several rental properties and really have no living expenses. Since I run the auto service center, most of my guys respect/appreciate my passion.

The owner (and my direct superior) doesn't quite see it the same way but knows I work 12+ hours a day 6 days a week for him. Only time the car embarrassed me was when I told the owner I was taking a day off (to pick the car up) and had to explain why.

On a similar note, I don't have a garage and park it outside, I drive it in the snow and I take my dog to the dog park/doggie day care in it.

It's just a car. A gorgeous, perfectly engineered and wonderfully enjoyable car. But still a car. (and I'll always have one)

Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mact3333
regarding earlier post dealing with watches, while I am embarrassed to drive the Porsche, Im not embarrassed to wear nice watches since most people wouldnt know a Panerai/Patek/Breitling/IWC/ etc from a Seiko...now Rolex they would recognize hence I would never wear a Rolex...now Porsche everyone recognizes and some do stigmatize you for it unfortunately.

I find you can be an elitist with watches with 99% of society not finding out, hence watch collection is a fun hobby.
THat's a funny tangent. I'm loving this thread as well. I have an IWC and a JLC, among others. I'll go out on a limb, but I bet most of the people on the board are not Rolex wearers either.
I'm still trapped by the stigma that I use my 997 as a DD and my boss found out. He bought a Toyota Highlander. I don't appreciate that he may subconsciously think I obviously don't need to be paid anymore since I obviously already have enough money...

Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
THat's a funny tangent. I'm loving this thread as well. I have an IWC and a JLC, among others. I'll go out on a limb, but I bet most of the people on the board are not Rolex wearers either.
S/S Daytona wearing, Porsche driving d-bag right here.

On the watch front I don't care what people think. I've always wanted one and I worked hard to get them so it's not an issue.

For that matter - I don't think that non-watch folks have any idea that a new Daytona is $10K these days.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM
garyafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nice
Funny stuff. I drive my 2006 C2S to work almost every day. I park in the same spot almost everyday, no mater what I drive, or ride as the case may be. My Porsche is probably the most expensive car in the parking lot, (at least when it was new). I bought it used with 25,000 miles from a real estate agent, (the market in California is bad), so I got a great price. I don't flaunt it, I make no apologies. I drive to work in Levi's and a safety orange tee shirt, park the Porsche, through on my work boots and coveralls. I'm a heavy equipment mechanic for a construction company. I don't really fit the demographic, but I do Love fine cars, and fine motorcycles, always have. always will. The Porsche is my best yet.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
MattAu is infamous around these parts
And you guys think you have issues... try living 12 houses down on the same side of the street from your boss! In addition to lvinig in the same 1 km block area with at least 9 other current and former co-workers. I don't even need to drive to work to run into the same problem as you guys.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lig
S/S Daytona wearing, Porsche driving d-bag right here.

On the watch front I don't care what people think. I've always wanted one and I worked hard to get them so it's not an issue.

For that matter - I don't think that non-watch folks have any idea that a new Daytona is $10K these days.
I should have made an exception for the Daytona - the only real cool one they make! No matter what, I've been hard pressed to find a db that frequents 6speed...

Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
@home is a different story. I used to have a neighbor that would give a friendly wave every time I drove by but not anymore. It's very odd to me as they own a Boxster...
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
My next door neighbor is a guy in his late 60's. He thinks he knows everything about cars. He has a previous generation MB SL500. Before whenever I'd see him driving it, he'd stop and talk to me. Usually about how his car was so awesome, and how much power it had, and how people look at him whenever he drives it, etc...

Ever since I got my 911, he no longer stops to talk to me. Actually he has only spoken to me once since I got it. He asked me "Whose car is that?". It had been in my garage for a month and he'd seen me driving it plenty. Jealous much?
These two posts also raise the issue of that elitism that exists in people (and we all know at least one of them) that are part of the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality. Perhaps they were only friendly to you only because they felt happy about themselves revelling in the fact they used to have a better car than you. When you bought a 'nicer' car, a chord struck at the heart of their insecurities and that hurt. Hurt turns into anger and anger manifests itself into social resentment. It's not your fault, they are really just angry at themselves for knowing that they are petty and people don't like to acknowledge that part of themselves. Really, we are all petty, only about different things...

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 PM
GIjbop is infamous around these partsGIjbop is infamous around these parts
well if ppl are concerned about neighbors and co-workers...what about members of your extended family? might be more complicated here i think.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM
hockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant futurehockeyguy4u has a brilliant future
I enjoy reading this forum, so I thought I'd respond. I currently am a Cayman, not 911, owner though (but my next car will likely be a 911!) I think this thread equally applies to the cheaper Cayman. A Porsche is a Porsche. Here in the midwest, anyway, Porsches are fairly rare. Most know about the cute little not-as-expensive Boxter, but when they see the Cayman, they think "sports car, hard-top Porsche, EXPENSIVE...similar to a a 911, I think. (In some ways to the uninitiated the Cayman is more exotic, leaner, and Italian-looking than the 911, and thus more intriguing as to cost).

As an example, my business partner has a fairly new Audi RS4, and I recently bought my new Cayman (base). Notwithstanding that his car cost 15K more than mine, all anyone talks about at work is "the Porsche". The only comment I've heard on his car, however, was that "oh he has an A4, lots of those around.... must have wanted the AWD, did he consider a subaru?".

BTW, when I get my 911, I hope to still keep my Cayman--two very different cars--I want them both!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do people feel about parking their 911 at work?