997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cabriolet hard top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 PM
ggregory is infamous around these parts
Cabriolet hard top

I've got 3 months of cold weather ahead and have been thinking about getting a hard top for my cabriolet. Guess you could call it my first mod..

Do they look goofy?
Obvious they are hardtops?
Too expensive?
Opinions please...

Happy Holidays

Old 12-15-2009, 09:52 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ggregory
I've got 3 months of cold weather ahead and have been thinking about getting a hard top for my cabriolet. Guess you could call it my first mod..

Do they look goofy?
Obvious they are hardtops?
Too expensive?
Opinions please...

Happy Holidays
Do a search here and on Rennlist forum. Looks is entirely subjective. Many of us like the look of the cab hard tops. Others don't. You can purchase used 996 hardtops for under $1000 (and silver/black is a very commonly available combo). You can purchase necessary parts to adapt a 996 hardtop to your 997. If my Targa sale goes through in the coming week, I plan to acquire another cab, and will likely get a hardtop for it. To me it is a relatively inexpensive way to provide a nice option in cold weather or long trips. BTW, they are aluminum and weigh 73 pounds. Check Edgy's post on Rennlist re his electric winch that makes the top installation and removal an easy one-person job.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Cab hardtops look nice...IMHO.

I wonder how much extra weight is added at the worst part of the car to add weight(the top) ?????

Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by og risker
Cab hardtops look nice...IMHO.

I wonder how much extra weight is added at the worst part of the car to add weight(the top) ?????
Personally, I think concerns about added weight of cab hardtops or Targa tops are ill-founded. The impact on performance is likely insignificant to all but the most expert drivers in full-on track mode. For "normal" day-to-day driving and autocross fun, I believe the effects of the "extra weight" are more than offset by quality of driving skills and tires.
Just my opinion.