997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Young people with Porsches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
Wow this thread has gotten really interesting. I am the first to admit that I don't deserve my car whatsoever. I've been into cars/engines since I was a little kid (used to mod and rebuild my go-ped engine in 4th grade) and Porsches have always been my favorite cars. When my dad gave me the opportunity to get that I couldn't turn it down even if I did and still do feel guilty for it at times.

There are a few things I've thought about regarding parents who buy their kids premium cars.
I can understand that having been met with the values collision expressed on this thread that it leads to to doubt whether you even deserve it or not . It may even have you questioning whether your parents are helping or hurting your development .

That's precisely what they want you to think .

Now again -I would never advocate handing an 18 year old a race car , and a pile of moiney with no guidelines and promote irresponsibility . But that perception and snap judgement is exactly what you may encounter even if you atre doing great in yoir life .

I also live in Miami and like yourself I see a share of high end cars driven by young people . Just like any other age category .. some are extremely irresponsible and others are not .

It's a good thing that you are reading this thread because if you are facing this judgement from your peers on 6speed who even have and enjoy the same car .. you can only imagine how it will impact those at work when you start out on your own amongst those who don't have a Porsche.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
People will always look at you and think what they want to think no matter what your age but it is definitely worse if your young. People also assume, and in many cases they are right, that a young person who is given luxuries= a screw up. I definitely don't deserve what I have been given as I feel that if you don't pay for something yourself you don't deserve it, period. I am just extremely fortunate but I am also far from a screw up. I get good grades, don't do drugs, have never even gotten a ticket, attend a good unitversity and am attending a good law school next year, don't really party, don't spend money on stupid things, am not at all flashy, etc. To most people I would be a pretty damn good kid but the second someone sees my car everything changes (this really does happen a lot).

Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
Originally Posted by yrralis1
There are many young people raised in poverty who choose the path of poor grades, crime, drugs , and exhibit the lack of motivation you decribe.
Not a good analogy to make your point - on a number of levels - the main one being poor kids likely don't choose to make poor grades or get into drugs... their home life leads them down those destructive paths... which actually makes my point given the topic at hand. The kids you speak of had nothing to begin with and the odds that they'll end up no better than their parents is likely very high. They are severely handicapped to succeed in our world if starting out in poverty. That is a fact.. On the other hand, to indulge a child with such luxury so early on would not only serve to cheapen any big goals he may have but serve to be destructive in his development as what is their to endeavor for if everything is yours without effort? All they get is a big ego and no idea of the value of money. All while the parents enjoy bragging that their child drives a Porsche. Like a Porsche version of Von Munchausen's Syndrome.

Kids in poverty have a good excuse if they fail to break away from their unfortunate condition. It is no fault of their own. However, a kid driving a Carrera would like value money differently than the poor kids from poverty you elude to... and that cannot good for the rich child and, moreover, would be destructive.

Sorry, I don't see any upside to giving a child a $100K car... or even a used version of it. It simply sets the wrong example in my book.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Not a good analogy to make your point - on a number of levels - the main one being poor kids likely don't choose to make poor grades or get into drugs... their home life leads them down those destructive paths... which actually makes my point given the topic at hand. The kids you speak of had nothing to begin with and the odds that they'll end up no better than their parents is likely very high.They are severely handicapped to succeed in our world if starting out in poverty
You edited your post as I was replying .
So now this more tamed version of bigotry places a handicap on kids raised in poverty (claimed as "fact") and portrays their parents as failures and makes the stretch to descibe wealthy parents who share a positive giving experience also as failures as their "Munchausen" ego stroke is a form of parental narcissm ?

It sounds like the air is quite thin on this high throne of judgement . Better not tilt it .. long way down.

The toughest pill for me to swallow is that i do NOT feel that EVERY young person ought to get a Porsche . In fact I feel that some ought not even get a bus pass but I can say that about any age group , any income level, and place the full decision on a individual case by case specific glance rather than a snap judgement.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:36 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
You edited your post as I was replying .
So now this more tamed version of bigotry places a handicap on kids raised in poverty (claimed as "fact") and portrays their parents as failures and makes the stretch to descibe wealthy parents who share a positive giving experience also as failures as their "Munchausen" ego stroke is a form of parental narcissm ?

It sounds like the air is quite thin on this high throne of judgement . Better not tilt it .. long way down.

The toughest pill for me to swallow is that i do NOT feel that EVERY young person ought to get a Porsche . In fact I feel that some ought not even get a bus pass but I can say that about any age group , any income level, and place the full decision on a individual case by case specific glance rather than a snap judgement.
You are wrongly juxtaposing bigotry with reality. I made no judgements regarding their parents - just identifying their situation at hand. You'd disagree that youth in poverty are less likely to remain in poverty than groups not in poverty? The numbers are against your argument.

Are you one of those young owners? Your responses betray you.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:39 PM
People will always look at you and think what they want to think no matter what your age but it is definitely worse if your young. People also assume, and in many cases they are right, that a young person who is given luxuries= a screw up. I definitely don't deserve what I have been given as I feel that if you don't pay for something yourself you don't deserve it, period. I am just extremely fortunate but I am also far from a screw up. I get good grades, don't do drugs, have never even gotten a ticket, attend a good unitversity and am attending a good law school next year, don't really party, don't spend money on stupid things, am not at all flashy, etc. To most people I would be a pretty damn good kid but the second someone sees my car everything changes (this really does happen a lot).
If your parents gave this beautiful car to you it must have meant something to both of you . They will not live forever and if you outlive them you may just realize that they saw something in you and wanted you to remember it and them for seeing it .

I don't see any older people here defending whether they party or get tickets . You ought not feel that you have to defend yourself to anyone to justify this car to yourself.

Both my parents are deceased .I am orphaned. I only wish that they were alive to enjoy my cars with me because both were wonderful people. You have that chance with yours and being young you have time . If anything .. cherish thse days you have together .

Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by thebland
You are wrongly juxtaposing bigotry with reality. I made no judgements regarding their parents - just identifying their situation at hand. You'd disagree that youth in poverty are less likely to remain in poverty than groups not in poverty? The numbers are against your argument.

Are you one of those young owners? Your responses betray you.
I am 52 years old and have no children and have never bought a Porsche for a young person . I bought my first Porsche at age 34.

I simply refuse to make a generalization and lump any group into a negative sterotype . Every person is an individual and each get's a clean chance to express that . That goes for the parents, their kids, and how much or how little money they have.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I am 52 years old and have no children and have never bought a Porsche for a young person . I bought my first Porsche at age 34.

I simply refuse to make a generalization and lump any group into a negative sterotype . Every person is an individual and each get's a clean chance to express that . That goes for the parents, their kids, and how much or how little money they have.
The reality of the poor is easily generalized. When you start out in poverty, the odds are stacked against you getting out of it. Some do and thrive. Look at our President. I don't like it either but the statistics don't lie. I am from Detroit. I see it and know it. When you start out with one or no parents, gangs are all around and no role models to speak of, how would you expect these kids to get on the right track? Sure we don't want to generalize these people but few escape. It is a unfortunate reality of our society.

I am on my second Porsche. Bought my first at 35 and my latest C4S a couple months ago. I have 3 daughters and their first car will be my wife's 2007 Volvo when she is done with it in 2-3 years. They'll share it and take it through college. Safe and dull as a dirt sandwich.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slant83
I bought my 15 yr old who is learning how to drive an 05 Boxster. It keeps her off my Carrera, my 930s, Lexus barge and BMW 335 and by the way...it's the same price as a new Honda Civic loaded. Perceptions are the problem..not reality
I agree with you when you say "perceptions are the problem" but the larger problem is that a persons perception always turn out to be their reality. It is from their reality that people draw their conclusions regardless of whether or not those conclusions are factual. I have always found it nearly impossible to change other peoples perceptions.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dadio
I agree with you when you say "perceptions are the problem" but the larger problem is that a persons perception always turn out to be their reality. It is from their reality that people draw their conclusions regardless of whether or not those conclusions are factual. I have always found it nearly impossible to change other peoples perceptions.

Perception is reality.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:14 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
The Porsches to work thread inspired me to start this one. I've noticed that there are a lot of young people on this board with nice cars, many of whom I'm guessing are lucky enough to have parents who could buy them such a car. What I'm wondering are people's opinions on the negatives of such an upbringing, the positives, etc. For example I am constantly hiding what car I have because of peoples reactions, usually when someone asks what car I have I'll say something along the lines of a Honda Civic and if they see my car I usually say it's my dads. People's reactions to young people with nice cars can be really bad, for example I have a friend with a 325 (imagine a Porsche) who was pulled over and basically harassed by the cop because "There is no way a 19 year old could have that car, it has to be stolen."

I'm not exactly young, I purchased my first P-car at 33, with my own earnings, but that didn't help the awkward moment when older folks asked why my father gave me that car or any other s***. Some fellas could actually afford the same car or better but they are too afraid to spend the money or are just plain boring.

Regardless, remember that old is someone 10 years older than you...

Old 12-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by John McLane
I'm not exactly young, I purchased my first P-car at 33, with my own earnings, but that didn't help the awkward moment when older folks asked why my father gave me that car or any other s***. Some fellas could actually afford the same car or better but they are too afraid to spend the money or are just plain boring.

Regardless, remember that old is someone 10 years older than you...
I hear ya... I just tell them that my home theater cost far more!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by thebland
Perception is reality.
Perception is that individual's reality . In fact multiple truths can describe the same reality Example the glass is half full = the glass is half empty .

Old 12-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Conversely, reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

*Einstein

Old 12-17-2009, 07:11 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
im 24, and have a 997. paid for it myself, but i always get the "i like your dad's car" which is annoying thats people's first thought.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Young people with Porsches