997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Young people with Porsches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Who cares?

Most people who are angry over what you have or do or are, are the ones who wouldn't lift a hand to help themselves and are more interested in their attempt to bring you down to their miserable spot than elevate themselves.

They're the LAST people whose opinion I concern myself with.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
I'm 29 and I think that owning a Porsche 911 in Australia at that age is very young. They're very expensive here but I do, now and again, see young kids drive them.

I'm Asian so I generally understand that Asian parents tend to give nice cars to their kids. I really paid for my own car, but whenever I see ANOTHER young Asian in a Porsche / Fast Audi / BMW / MB I instantly think that their parents bought it for them or it belongs to their parents. Then I instantly realise that they must be thinking the same thing about me!

I grew up in a lower-socioeconomic part of Sydney so I was painfully aware of those International Students at university who drove flashy cars. Those you knew ABSOLUTELY that their cars were bought for them by their parents. I took public transport and bought my FIRST used car (bomb civic) at age 21 with my own money. I would resent them for all the stuff they had and all the things that came so easy to them such as personal transport and local accommodation. (I used to commute 3.0 hrs per day to get to my classes).

This resentment continued all throughout my early years at university but I inevitably made friends with some of them and truly realised that a MAJORITY of them walk around with glass stomachs (their heads stuck up their own *****). I got a long with some of them who were pretty down to earth but it was mainly a superficial acquaintance.

As I matured that resentment disappeared as I became proud of my own PERSONAL struggles and achievements as it moulded my character to who I am today. I now live near my old university and see the same young kids in their luxury sports cars, some of which are better than my 911 but now I feel proud knowing that I achieved this status myself, without the help of my parents.

Being resentful didn't encourage and drive me to be more successful or more hard working. I found that being proud of oneself liberating and far more fulfilling.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I grew up in a lower-socioeconomic part of Sydney so I was painfully aware of those International Students at university who drove flashy cars. Those you knew ABSOLUTELY that their cars were bought for them by their parents. I took public transport and bought my FIRST used car (bomb civic) at age 21 with my own money.
Question -
1) Did you live at home with your parents spending that money on the Civic rather than an independent residence ?

Perhaps there also is a regional effect . In Miami for example there are many pro athletes, celebrities , race car drivers, and part time residents from all over the world as this is a vacation hot spot.
Some of them made their own money quite easily and they are young. It's a city filled of wealth and poverty too --applicable to all ages.

It's not uncommon to see a young wreckless celebrity who made his own money or a hard working college student given the car by his parents like the original poster . There are many examples of all types.

I see a lot of posts regarding "work ethic" . I understand that some people have to try and justify the suffering that led to their success but that does not mean that everyone must take the same path ar that this is the ONLY process. In fact interview a group of strangers playing a large lottery or power ball . Some are poor and others are wealthy but the first words out of their mouths is nearly always the same "I'll quit my job" . In that instance one can see how quicly "work ethic" vanishes .

Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM
TrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the roughTrackAddict997 is a jewel in the rough
Im a young guy. But i grew up with alot of respect for cars and learned how to drive stick at the age of 7. Ivve been around cars all my life and can handle to drive such a beautiful car. But i would say for a lot of people my age that it would be a different story. It all depends on the person. And i of coarse will get is that your dads car, but the people who know me dont even think much of it because of the way i am about it. Definitely dont put it in anybody's face.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
It's funny, I see both sides of the coin on this issue. I grew up poor....2 families living a two bedroom apartment poor. Public assistance and food stamps were common place in my household. I worked hard to get where I am and I saw the easy path others took. Was I jealous...envious...resentful...sure. Am I still? No. As they say, time heals all. Now, I'm in the position to provide my kids with the "easy" path. Without a doubt, I will provide them with things I couldn't have even imagined as a kid. I hope to instill the best blend of characteristics to mold a socially productive individual. In the end, enjoy life...enjoy the car...forget about the noise and enjoy the roar of the engine.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Ahmet is infamous around these parts
There's a lot of costs associated with owning a car like a Porsche. Beyond the purchase price, there's lots of hidden costs from maintenance to insurance to taxes... But in the end, if you can afford it, I don't see a reason not to.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:04 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Perception is that individual's reality . In fact multiple truths can describe the same reality Example the glass is half full = the glass is half empty .
+1 on this.......

Old 12-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
I see a lot of posts regarding "work ethic" . I understand that some people have to try and justify the suffering that led to their success but that does not mean that everyone must take the same path ar that this is the ONLY process. In fact interview a group of strangers playing a large lottery or power ball . Some are poor and others are wealthy but the first words out of their mouths is nearly always the same "I'll quit my job" . In that instance one can see how quicly "work ethic" vanishes .
Not sure I agree. I'd definitely quit my CURRENT job if I won the lottery. I'd probably work longer/harder at growing my own empire than someone else's. Just can't take the risk to do it at this juncture.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Hi, thanks for the question.

No, after hating public transport so much and the time it took to get to University everyday, I moved out (also had to leave because I didn't get along with my mother - my father had left our family 5 yrs before that). I moved slightly closer to my university and had to work part time 3 days a week to afford the rent and repayments on the car. I was totally independent, having to pay rent, utilities, food, stationery, and the little leisure that I could afford.

The car totally sucked as it would not start every time. In my 3rd year I was awarded an internship to work for General Motors in Melbourne where they design and build the RWD Holden Commodore and Monaro (Pontiac GTO to you guys). With the money I earned there I had to help pay for the family's home loan with my sister who had graduated and started to work. It was SOOO tough, having to make repayments of $3,00 per month between the both of us as my single mother had mental health issues and did not work.

I got my real taste of independence during those years so when I came back to finish my degree and started work as an Engineer we eventually downsized on the house and my mother moved in my sis as she had married and bought her own small apartment. We no longer had to pay that mortgage.

My income as a graduate was astounding as I had lived as a poor student for so long I didn't know what to do with the money! As I started my own consultancy working in project engineering and management the money became better and better yet my lifestyle hadn't improved. Those tough school days were near to my mind and I didn't have any taste for anything better.

My girlfriend at the time had started dental school so for the next 4 years we lived together. I paid for everything so I could support her and when she finally graduated my business had grown to a point where she didn't need to work for us to live comfortable lives. When she started working that's when it became apparent that we had an extremely high combined household income. For so long we used to drive by those car dealerships and hoped that someday we would be able to afford something nice - we one day walked into a dealership to 'dream' and it occurred to us that those cars were actually affordable. We decided that it was time to reward all our hard work over the past 8 years together and bought that beautiful 911 in the showroom.

I can summarise with the cars I've owned in the past:

'92 Honda Civic hatchback: Poor student eating instant noodles for dinner
'02 Honda Integra Type R: Being a rev-head working for GM (still eating noodles to afford it!) and a graduate engineer.
'08 VW Golf R32: After starting my own business.
'09 Porsche 911: After my partner started work as a Dentist and my business grew.

Like someone else said just now, time heals all. I don't resent those kids with nice cars. It was an internal struggle I had and it wasn't their fault that they made me feel this way. Who am I to judge how someone else raises their children? I'm not a parent so how could I possibly understand? It was my own journey that I undertook, even if it wasn't a choice, that is mine and is now a part of me. I just feel so proud of myself for having survived a civil war, becoming a refugee, living and growing up in an immigrant neighbourhood and becoming an Australian citizen to enjoy the freedoms that we, in the western world, take for granted. It's a story that captivates friends and strangers at parties and one that I will pass onto my SISTER's children (heheh I dont think i'm ready to even contemplate my own just yet)

Question -
1) Did you live at home with your parents spending that money on the Civic rather than an independent residence ?

Perhaps there also is a regional effect . In Miami for example there are many pro athletes, celebrities , race car drivers, and part time residents from all over the world as this is a vacation hot spot.
Some of them made their own money quite easily and they are young. It's a city filled of wealth and poverty too --applicable to all ages.

It's not uncommon to see a young wreckless celebrity who made his own money or a hard working college student given the car by his parents like the original poster . There are many examples of all types.

Last edited by Howie; 12-18-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
If i ever recorded my life on one of those helmet camera things, you wouldnt imagine how many times people say they like my dads car or they whisper "he's a drugdealer" or "he stole that". My first car was the cayenne, and to the majority of the world, the fact you have a porsche badge on the front of your car means its 100k+ car. Its worth less than my friend's new evo's and they still call me a rich kid. That car, was my parents car given to me. My audi was a graduation present from both grandparents, in which i paid the down and taxes. The t4s was paid for by my parents, and i also contributed a helluva lotta money for a kid my age. I realize im not the kid who deserves these kind of cars, and i myself dont even know why i have these cars. i dont like to talk about it but once you see a 20 yr old kid walk out of a porsche, im bombarded with dirty looks. i know im a spoiled brat, and thats exactly why i wanna say that parents shouldnt give their children nice cars like my parents did. If i ever fall and dont excel in the career in which i wish to pursue, well im ****ed because ill never appreciate any of the cars i get in the future. Ill end up selling these cars and driving a beater civic with a fart can.

well theres my contribution to the young person thing, and may i be flamed. sorry for the bad english, i havent gotten any sleep this week cuza finals

Old 12-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by Afroman
If i ever recorded my life on one of those helmet camera things, you wouldnt imagine how many times people say they like my dads car or they whisper "he's a drugdealer" or "he stole that". My first car was the cayenne, and to the majority of the world, the fact you have a porsche badge on the front of your car means its 100k+ car. Its worth less than my friend's new evo's and they still call me a rich kid. That car, was my parents car given to me. My audi was a graduation present from both grandparents, in which i paid the down and taxes. The t4s was paid for by my parents, and i also contributed a helluva lotta money for a kid my age. I realize im not the kid who deserves these kind of cars, and i myself dont even know why i have these cars. i dont like to talk about it but once you see a 20 yr old kid walk out of a porsche, im bombarded with dirty looks. i know im a spoiled brat, and thats exactly why i wanna say that parents shouldnt give their children nice cars like my parents did. If i ever fall and dont excel in the career in which i wish to pursue, well im ****ed because ill never appreciate any of the cars i get in the future. Ill end up selling these cars and driving a beater civic with a fart can.

well theres my contribution to the young person thing, and may i be flamed. sorry for the bad english, i havent gotten any sleep this week cuza finals
I don't think people here will judge you for what you've just said. To me it sounded honest and I think you sound appreciative and respectful for the good things you've had. You seem to have had high expectations placed on your shoulder, I know how that can feel. Good luck to whatever career you choose on.