997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Just replaced my battery today at Mr. Merchant Auto and Tire in Fairfax.

I got the Interstate MP-91. It is smaller than the OEM battery, but it works. Ran into a slight problem with the hose that connects to the battery which ejects out hydrogen gas away from the battery section to outside the side of the car. The OEM battery tube connection is circular, while the Interstate tube connection is a wide flat circle (Kind of hard to describe it without pictures). The guy ended up putting a pair of pliers to the end of the hose to expand out the plastic and took a lighter to reshape it. It fits perfectly now.

Paid $130 for battery and installation. Got a 20% discount! ^^

Now, I just hope it isn't an alternator problem. Anyone know how much it cost to replace the alternator?? (just in case)

lakhoon

Old 01-08-2010, 10:46 PM
lakhoon is infamous around these parts
Today, I found out that my OEM battery was pushing out 300 CCA. Couldn't get the car started this morning at 0600. I ended up replacing the battery with the INTERSTATE MP-91. It works fine now!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:33 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The use of an adequate battery maintainer is the Porsche recommended method to replace batteries. I have done that several times.

On batteries... Interstate or Autozone are fine. I do not go for the largest possible battery. I prefer the smaller/lighter Autozone. Check renntech.org for Autozone battery recs (996 or 997).

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
NEVER do such silly thing. Cheap chargers may fry all your electronics if you decide to disconnect battery while charger is plugged into wall and connected to your internal car wiring.

Only way possible to do such trick if you have another battery connected to your car at swap time. But not a charger with impulse type power supply. What you probably had in mind was portable starter, not a charger, that has actual battery inside - this way you can do it. Just make sure it is not plugged in into 120V.

And there is no need at all to make it so complex - there is nothing wrong in disconnecting battery from 911 car. My car sleeps in garage right now with disconnected battery and piece of cloth thrown on top of trunk lock. When I have to drive it I simply connect it back. It does not hurt anything.
Really?? Guess Porsche is wrong recommending the use of a battery maintainer to swap batteries. Wht do they know?