997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lemon or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The harsh economics for you would be - hope to get a leftover '09 for 25% off (these must be getting pretty hard to find) - although this is basically below cost, so there is no way you could get a 2010 for this much even if they wanted to "give" you another car at cost.
Lets say he takes the new motor and they offer 70K in trade .
Lets say he buys a 100K car at or near cost . Low 80's .
That's 10 -15K range .
Obviously most dealerships are not discounting 2010 cars this much but the one who sold him that car should have done this just to keep him a customer .
Maybe another dealership would step up and come close enough .
The further he travells from his area the harder it wil be . He has no way to transport the car and the dealership who sells him the car will want to keep him in their service as well as retain a repeat customer .

He's in New Jersey . There's a lot of dealerships in that area and all it takes is one to do the right thing .

Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JohnM
It always surprises me that car companies with insane profit margins on a product, and insane prices on the product, can't even offer the new engine and say......maybe some free porsche luggage and 4 years free service. Cost to porsche= 12 bucks for the chinese-made luggage and $500 for the service. Maybe it would be fair compensation for the headache the OP is going through.
If you want to really laugh a bit, read up on the poor guy who ordered a Veyron and put down a million bucks on it and they changed his allotment. He can only get the targa now, even though he ordered a coupe! (google it to see the story)
Bugatti basically spit in his face! I guess no one is immune from poor service!
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get some decent treatment. At the very least, you will have a shiny new engine and will probably forget about this in a year. As a previous poster mentioned, when BMW pulled the engine on my M3, I was pissed. Then I drove it for a few weeks and it felt better than new!!!
Someone with more money and power probably decided to cut in the queue and took his allotment. It's not about bad service there, probably just power politics.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:56 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Lets say he takes the new motor and they offer 70K in trade .
Lets say he buys a 100K car at or near cost . Low 80's .
That's 10 -15K range .
Obviously most dealerships are not discounting 2010 cars this much but the one who sold him that car should have done this just to keep him a customer .
Maybe another dealership would step up and come close enough .
The further he travells from his area the harder it wil be . He has no way to transport the car and the dealership who sells him the car will want to keep him in their service as well as retain a repeat customer .

He's in New Jersey . There's a lot of dealerships in that area and all it takes is one to do the right thing .
C`mon, it`s Jersey, no one gives rats *** there to 'keep a repeat customer'. Same as here in most MA places. There are plenty of new blood around to buy anything. Different mentality.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:18 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adias
Nothing wrong about replacing an engine. PAG will assign the new engine number to the car's VIN and the car is whole. No need to replace the whole car.
I agree..it will only come into question in 30 years as its rolling down Barrett-Jackson collector car lane and some yutz with a flashlight sees the numbers don't match. Other than that..enjoy

Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
C`mon, it`s Jersey, no one gives rats *** there to 'keep a repeat customer'. Same as here in most MA places. There are plenty of new blood around to buy anything. Different mentality.
They can benefit from this too.
1) The make $$$ on the warranty repairs .
2) They minimize profit but still will make something .
3) They move TWO units instead of one . It's the years end to 2009 which has has not been a great sales year .

This can be a win/win for both of them .

Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 AM
FI Flyer is infamous around these parts
There is a cost to Porsche that has not (it's been a long thread and I may have missed it) been mentioned. The dealer may not be motivated to step up but is it the marginal cost between a new engine and a replacement car to PCNA greater than the cost of having this discussion online in a forum of Porsche 997 enthusiasts -- and potential buyers?

Inverted, wouldn't the confidence that a generous resolution of this dispute go far in encouraging potential buyers and future traders-in that Porsche may be expensive but that they stand behind their product?

I'm a lawyer and a bit of a business person and I can sympathize with Porsche's appropriate fear of setting a bad precedent. On the other hand, wearing my customer cap, I can attest to the importance of having the feeling that I am being treated well -- especially when it comes to a non-necessary luxury purchase.

Imagine the effect on the well-heeled and enthusiastic (if critical) readership of this forum if the original post had stated the same facts and then reported that Porsche or the dealer had gone the extra mile to make things right, perhaps by offering or accepting the compromises that have been discussed. With this thought in mind, I suggest that Dave bring this online discussion to the attention of the people at Porsche with whom he is dealing and remind them that an equitable resolution is in their interest as much as it is in his.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:37 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
From the info provided by the OP, hasn't the NJ Lemon Law been met with number of repairs for the same issue?

From my understanding most Lemon Law attorneys will base their case on failure to comply with standards under the Magnusson Moss act.

I must be missing something because I would have thought this would be a done deal under the NJ Lemon Law or under an attorney's intervention with MMA.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:40 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FI Flyer
With this thought in mind, I suggest that Dave bring this online discussion to the attention of the people at Porsche with whom he is dealing and remind them that an equitable resolution is in their interest as much as it is in his.
+1

This could also work against him since this has now turned into a public, online circus for them. Just a thought.

I think that he needs to push harder or get an attorney and not settle. An attorney would likely only take this case if they can win so talking with the right people is in order.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:11 AM
DaveinNJ is infamous around these parts
Thanks, everyone, for all of the comments and suggestions. I am going to sign off for a while, and let the legal system take its course. I promise to report back upon resolution.

Have a great holiday!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by DaveinNJ
Thanks, everyone, for all of the comments and suggestions. I am going to sign off for a while, and let the legal system take its course. I promise to report back upon resolution.

Have a great holiday!
Please do, since this could be helpful for any future lemonable issues for forum members. Knowing what works and doesn't is just the information that a consumer needs when proceeding with issues such as this.

Good luck to you and may you have a new 997 in your drive within 2 months.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 PM
returnofcc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DaveinNJ

Have a great holiday!
If I were you, I would be looking around for other dealers who would be willing to give you around 75k for your trade in, and then you could buy an 09C2S for 80k from them, so 5k total. I know a few dealers in CT who are offering 20k off of msrp on 09 911's...

Old 12-24-2009, 05:14 PM
FI Flyer is infamous around these parts
Good luck and please keep us updated.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:54 AM
There is a cost to Porsche that has not (it's been a long thread and I may have missed it) been mentioned. The dealer may not be motivated to step up but is it the marginal cost between a new engine and a replacement car to PCNA greater than the cost of having this discussion online in a forum of Porsche 997 enthusiasts -- and potential buyers?
It goes without saying but as long as you raised this valid topic ... since he did not name the dealership it simply creates non exposure (as opposed to negative exposure) . If they had come through for him (or if another dealership in his region steps up to see that he's satisfied) .. then they get positive exposure , he gets a new car and has closure , they make a few bucks , everyone wins .. even Porsche they sell another unit . As for his current car .. they will eventually fix it but he won't have to deal with the stress and time delay . It could be resold with a favorable discount in good operating condition . Even the sales staff and technicians won't have this pressure to get this car fixed ASAP .

It just makes no sense that they would not work this out quickly, smoothly, efficiently, and professionally -- and put this owner in a car that he is thrilled with at a cost that they all can agree is respectable.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:54 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute

Inverted, wouldn't the confidence that a generous resolution of this dispute go far in encouraging potential buyers and future traders-in that Porsche may be expensive but that they stand behind their product?

I'm a lawyer and a bit of a business person and I can sympathize with Porsche's appropriate fear of setting a bad precedent. On the other hand, wearing my customer cap, I can attest to the importance of having the feeling that I am being treated well -- especially when it comes to a non-necessary luxury purchase.

Imagine the effect on the well-heeled and enthusiastic (if critical) readership of this forum if the original post had stated the same facts and then reported that Porsche or the dealer had gone the extra mile to make things right, perhaps by offering or accepting the compromises that have been discussed. With this thought in mind, I suggest that Dave bring this online discussion to the attention of the people at Porsche with whom he is dealing and remind them that an equitable resolution is in their interest as much as it is in his.
Finally a post I can relate to.
As much as I have drooled over P-cars, I may never buy one because of all the problems with engines the past several years.....but more importantly how the corp has handled these problems.
Nothing is perfect, every machine can malfunction. When it happens the corp should stand behind it's product. That's it and only it for me.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:08 AM
rideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to allrideontwo is a name known to all
Went through something very similar with Audi. I tried working with Sales, but quickly came to the conclusion that; 1) its out their hands 2) they could care less after they have made their commission. Sure these might be blanket statements, but you rarely hear good stories when a new car has developed problems and a resolution is worked out quickly.

To pay that much money for a car only to have reliability problems in a few months is ridiculous. I would be furious i was i was in your shoes. Use the law and pursue whatever means necessary to get what YOU want. If a new engine is not something that satisfies you than keep pushing.

Best of luck.