997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Must-have options vs. nice but not needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 PM
ato911 is infamous around these parts
For my current car, I did a customer build and was able to order exactly what I wanted and did'nt want. We get cars delivered to our dealer here with XM radio, but hello, we do not have XM radio in our state. For your next Porsche, I would strongly suggest to do a customer build vs buying one already built at the dealership.

The only problem is that the wait for the car being built and shipped across the Atlantic is extremely painful. Days go by so slow but when it arrives, it is pure joy.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ato911
For my current car, I did a customer build and was able to order exactly what I wanted and did'nt want. We get cars delivered to our dealer here with XM radio, but hello, we do not have XM radio in our state. For your next Porsche, I would strongly suggest to do a customer build vs buying one already built at the dealership.

The only problem is that the wait for the car being built and shipped across the Atlantic is extremely painful. Days go by so slow but when it arrives, it is pure joy.
does Porsche still offer pickup in Germany? would be great to pick up the car in Stuttgart and drive up to the coast ....

Old 12-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I'll take a shot. Having purchased a pre-owned 'lightly' optioned car, I've thought a bit about what I would add, and which options just don't seem necessary to me:

The basics:
'S' model
Sport Chrono
Sport suspension

Comfort:
The best seats I can find - the GT2 (folding CF seats) would be my choice
Heated seats (if I didn't get the GT2 seats which are not heated)
BT/iPod/Nav
Auto-dimming mirror
I'd also slather on a thick coat of Alcantara - but that's me including the Alcantara/yellow stripe wheel from the GT3

What I would not get:
Bose
Full leather
Power seats
PSE (I would get a lighter/aftermark exhaust)
XM
CD changer

Unsure:
PDK (I know it's 'better', but I am a traditionalist)
New lightweight battery (it's silly expensive, but the stock one is an anchor)

This sounds a lot like how my car ended up after some work (except for the seats). Hmmm...

Originally Posted by drspeed
The best way for me to answer is by indicating which options I would 'require' on my next 911:

Sport Exhaust
PASM (would likely buy an S, primarily for the PASM)
Sport Chrono
Bluetooth*
Navigation*
ipod*
Bose* (or maybe a Burmeister!)
Power seats
Full leather interior
Heated Seats*
Heated Wheel*

*have them on the current car

My car is a DD, but with sport chrono, sport exhaust and PASM I could have a car that can be a sliver more docile than my current car (base suspension), with the option of being more aggressive at the touch of a button or 2.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:53 PM
locus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond repute
I think Full leather is MUST and all others are nice to have

Old 12-23-2009, 08:13 PM
BoxsterG is infamous around these parts
Power Comfort Seats with Driver Memory are a must for me. I am 6'3 and my wife is 5'2. It is too difficult to adjust my seats and mirrors without the power seats. All others features change on each new car I purchase based on whether I order it or buy it on the lot. I have found that I tend to get Sport Chrono on all cars since it was introduced.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Must have- XM radio.. would never buy a car without it

Nice to have- all the other stuff is "nice" but not a deal breaker.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tromero
Must have- XM radio.. would never buy a car without it

Nice to have- all the other stuff is "nice" but not a deal breaker.

I find this thread rather amazing, funny how varied the opinions are - Full leather goes from must have to 'really not needed', XM radio from a definite yes to 'I discontinued by subscription' (I did that).

And despite the fact that many people here on 6speed seem to modify their car, it was not mentioned once here ...

Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
I'll bite,

Must have:
-LSD
-6-speed

I don't care too much about the rest...

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't add mod's to my list, because the OP asked about 'options'. I interpreted that as items you order from Porsche when purchasing the car. If you want a list of must-have mods, here's my take:

Damptronics coilovers (presuming Sport Chrono - if you don't have SC, then a far wider range of options)
Sway bars (I have H&R and would not suggest them)
Fabspeed headers, mufflers and x-cats
EVOMS CAI
7/15mm wheel spacers
MoBridge iPod/BT interface
GT3 front bumper/splitter
TT/GT3 center radiator
Stainless steel brake lines
Braille or Odyssey lightweight battery
GT3 front brake ducts

Originally Posted by Jafetica888
I find this thread rather amazing, funny how varied the opinions are - Full leather goes from must have to 'really not needed', XM radio from a definite yes to 'I discontinued by subscription' (I did that).

And despite the fact that many people here on 6speed seem to modify their car, it was not mentioned once here ...