997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Must-have options vs. nice but not needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Must-have options vs. nice but not needed

Like probably most of us, when I was shopping for my new 911 I came up with a list of must-have options that the car should have, nice to haves and no-need stuff.

Well, I thought I was smart, test drove a bunch of cars, read feedback here, but now a few months into it I realized the first mistake:

Heated seats were not in my list (Las Vegas summer does not really make you think about heating anything) - though with the temperature in the 40s this would be a great feature to have (especially on a convertible, even with a conditioned garage).

This made me think, what are the items that you think every 911 should have, vs. which ones are okay to be missed:

My list:

Must Haves:
  • "S"
  • Navigation
  • Bose Audio
  • Radar Detector (I know this is just a $400 aftermarket plug-in, but boy does it save money
  • PDK
  • Heated Seats/Cooled seats (they work great on the Panamera, not sure if they exist for the 911)

Nice to have:

• "4"
  • Full leather
  • Sport Chrono
  • Convertible roof

Can live without (still would be nice, but not worth a lot of extra money):

• Metallic paint
  • Fancier wheels
  • Sport Exhaust
  • Tiptronic
  • Ceramic Breaks (I am sure they are great, but so are the regular once, never had any issues)

Old 12-21-2009, 10:04 AM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Full leather is must IMO, makes the car looks twice luxury if you know what it means.

SPorts chrono is nice but not needed.

PCCB is nice, but not needed if you are drive on street most of the time.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:20 AM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by aznevoviii
Full leather is must IMO, makes the car looks twice luxury if you know what it means.

I second & third the full leather interior (and i've had both)

-Nav & bose & heated seats are a must for me
-Sport seats.......can't live w/o them anymore, i think it has to do with my fat a** having a snug fit
-sports chrono - more fun on a 997.2,,,,,,,you'll get to play w/ launch control

But i think on the 'MUST HAVE' list, i would add bluetooth, sat radio & ipod hookup in the center console. The cost and non-oe factor of doing it afterwards make it a must for me

Not sure if it's a typo or not, but in your "Must have" you have PDK & Can live w/o you have Tiptronic, are you looking at both a pre & post 2009's (997.1 & .2's)?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jafetica888
My list:

Must Haves:
  • "S"
  • Navigation
  • Bose Audio
  • Radar Detector (I know this is just a $400 aftermarket plug-in, but boy does it save money
  • PDK
  • Heated Seats/Cooled seats (they work great on the Panamera, not sure if they exist for the 911)
As you`re making specs for 2009/2010 model - first of all do not mix stock options with aftermarket mods.

For stock again for PDK 'S' car you have to have Sport Chrono and sport PASM. Otherwise do not buy PDK 'S'. For manual non-S you can always throw in later 350mm Brembo brakes, PSS10 coilovers, GT3 front LCAs and get very nice competitive car for MUCH less money.

As you included heated seats - put in heated MF steering wheel also.

Bose audio is very overrated but buying new car - why not. But I would not buy it.

For new car also much have iPod/bluetooth stock integration - there is no sense to skip it and install aftermarket unit afterwards. Radar can always be added later but check with dealer if they can do an embedded radar into your self dimmed rear view mirror. It would be nice not to have extra units hanging on.

Last edited by utkinpol; 12-21-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
PDK and sport chrono combination is a must, trust me. It's a way to tolerate the annoyances of a no-clutch system

Bose in the other hand, is crappy. I don't care how many speaker, 5.1, whatever. It is crappy. If a car comes with it, ine, but IMHO ordering it specifically is a waste of money.

Here in TX cooled seats are a must. They work good, saving those initial toasting minutes when one enters his/hers black P-car. Now in the winter, I finf myself using the heat as well, it helps my back pain...

PCM 3 navigation is a great improvement compared to 2, perhaps worth the money. The PCM 2 in the other hand...

"S" for a 997.1, yes worth it. For 997.2 it depends on the other equipment. A base S and non S today are much closer than before; but the base S is not that easy to find, so the $$$$ difference may become more than one is interested in.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
If it's a PDK you.. MUST HAVE THE SPORTS CHRONO!

Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Jafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to beholdJafetica888 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by w00zie

Not sure if it's a typo or not, but in your "Must have" you have PDK & Can live w/o you have Tiptronic, are you looking at both a pre & post 2009's (997.1 & .2's)?

I got a Tiptronic and dislike it quite a bit, would have preferred a manual, though after driving the PDK I would be a wussy and go with the automatic ...

Old 12-21-2009, 05:25 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Old 12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
With PDK, you'll wish you had the Sports Chrono. And Blue-Tooth these days seems worth doing unless you don't use cell phones. MF Wheel you could add later - and I am glad I did. Unless you have other audio upgrade plans, the Bose is good to do - unless you don't listen to music.

XM Radio cannot be added later - it is great with the NAV and the station selection is pretty nice, so....also iPod connection - a must for me.

If you are ordering a car, auto-dimming mirrors seem like a no-brainer - makes me think whoever ordered my car had no brains, although I don't miss it so much, it just seems like...duh!

Otherwise I like your must have list other than that I obviously don't think "S" is must. The car is plenty fast already, but I reckon they are all trade-offs. And RADAR - hmmm - depends on what they offer, but I'd want something.

I'd also add maybe to the rear wiper, just because of all the rain we are having lately, it would be handy coming out at night and trying to see when backing up in an outdoor parking lot.

Other than the lack of Auto-Dim mirrors and striking the Voice Control, my must have list is in my sig - main must have being it is a 911.

Last edited by stevepow; 12-21-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
options.......

In MHO , PDK, Sports chrono. 19" S wheels are must haves............"S" and NAV are nice but how many people are going to be driving a 2009 or 2010 C2 to its full capacity? The 09s are equal to 08 S model anyway in performance not counting the new engine goodies.
Easy to get a cheapie GPS and forego NAV..bluetooth is great, love it..............

09, C2, PDK, Sports Chrono, XM, sat, power drivers seat, S wheels........................

Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Rodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really niceRodsky is just really nice
Mine were S, PDK, SC, BT, NAV, SPASM

Nice to have Bose, Heated Seats (warms my back up on the way to golf at 5:30am)

Couldnt care less - Full leather

Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
ato911 is infamous around these parts
Must have - PSE, Sport Shifter and bluetooth. The PSE on the 997.2 sounds great and the sport shift results in quick/smooth shifting. Hand held cell phones are banned in most states, so the bluetooth is a better option than those things you put in your ears.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Must have-

The 911
Heated seats
Dimming mirrors
Manual trans
Painted crests on wheels

Nice to have-

The S
Bose
Nav
Sport Chron
Crest in the headrest
Special wheels
Metallic paint
Power seats

My car came with all of the above but I prefer lightly optioned cars

Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
For me, must have:
1. PDK
2. Sport Chrono
3. iPod Interface
4. Bluetooth
5. Auto-dim mirrors
6. Powered seats with memories
7. BOSE

Nice to have:
1. XM
2. Nav
3. PSE
4. Full leather
5. Sport seats
6. Heated & ventilated seats

Old 12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
I think its a very subjective answer

The best way for me to answer is by indicating which options I would 'require' on my next 911:

Sport Exhaust
PASM (would likely buy an S, primarily for the PASM)
Sport Chrono
Bluetooth*
Navigation*
ipod*
Bose* (or maybe a Burmeister!)
Power seats
Full leather interior
Heated Seats*
Heated Wheel*

*have them on the current car

My car is a DD, but with sport chrono, sport exhaust and PASM I could have a car that can be a sliver more docile than my current car (base suspension), with the option of being more aggressive at the touch of a button or 2.

Last edited by drspeed; 12-22-2009 at 01:34 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Must-have options vs. nice but not needed