997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Headlight polishing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Headlight polishing

There are many kits out there for polishing the plastic headlights. What have you had success with? Mine are all coming out, so a good time to make them like new. Please let me know which lens cleaning products you've had success with?

When I settle on one, or two, I'll post a DIY with before and afters. Can you weight in on your experience in terms of process and products?
CATTMAN

Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I used PlastX with a Griot's 3" random orbit polisher. Worked pretty well - the plastic came out nice and clear but the really big scratches remained. Pretty sure they would need to be sanded down.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Be careful when polishing the headlights guys...I would take them OUT to do this!

Twice I have fried the front control module while polishing the car/headlights.
I think Porsche charges $300-$500 to fix.
It is an easy fix and did the repair myself,the second time.....parts $137.00!

Stacy

Old 12-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
What do they (or you) do to 'fix' them? Is it polishing? Or is there a replacement part. $137 sounds quite modest for the latter. I was about to install clear (soft) plastic covers over my headlight and fog light assemblies (I just received the parts) but want to remove all of the scratches beforehand. So this thread is perfect timing.
Thx

Originally Posted by justatoy
Be careful when polishing the headlights guys...I would take them OUT to do this!

Stacy

Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !

Stacy

Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea!!! + rep for sure.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
There are many kits out there for polishing the plastic headlights. What have you had success with? Mine are all coming out, so a good time to make them like new. Please let me know which lens cleaning products you've had success with?

When I settle on one, or two, I'll post a DIY with before and afters. Can you weight in on your experience in terms of process and products?
CATTMAN
You'll see many people with positive reviews of the 3M kit. I used this kit on my used Cayenne's headlights. I've recently used it and found the following.

1. Good for removing yellowing.
2. Removes the UV coat (which yellows over time...see #1 )
3. Removes minor chips
4. Even with a rotary buffer, Flex random orbit buffer, and all the polishes in my arsenal...I was unable to remove the fine sanding scratches to crystal clear. If you reinstall the headlights and turn them on, you will still see some imperfections and glare.

Bottom line...headlight protectors were a good investment on my 997TT.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:48 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Verde
What do they (or you) do to 'fix' them? Is it polishing? Or is there a replacement part. $137 sounds quite modest for the latter. I was about to install clear (soft) plastic covers over my headlight and fog light assemblies (I just received the parts) but want to remove all of the scratches beforehand. So this thread is perfect timing.
Thx
Yeah the part is not expensive but it is a pain non-the-less!

Originally Posted by lig
Thanks for the heads up - I had no idea!!! + rep for sure.
You are welcome....

Here is one link there

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...81-post10.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...see-image.html

Stacy

Old 12-25-2009, 05:55 PM
MichaelL is infamous around these partsMichaelL is infamous around these parts
This may be a stupid response, but don't the usual clear bra kits cover the headlights? About one square foot of plastic film and replace it every now and then?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Stacy,
What did you ruin when polishing your headlights? If polishing on-car, one would tape off the headlights, and use a PC7424 with a 3"orange pad and some Meguiar's PlastX or other such polish, etc. Where did any control units become exposed? Were you polishing off-car? If so, how did you secure them? Or were you doing it without a PC or rotary?
CATTMAN

Old 12-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Stacy,
What did you ruin when polishing your headlights? If polishing on-car, one would tape off the headlights, and use a PC7424 with a 3"orange pad and some Meguiar's PlastX or other such polish, etc. Where did any control units become exposed? Were you polishing off-car? If so, how did you secure them? Or were you doing it without a PC or rotary?
CATTMAN
Hey John,

Somehow the static from the polishing cloth fries the front control module.
I do believe it can happen even when doing it by hand.....
I am guess it is when polishing around the passenger side headlight.I cannot explain it BUT it has happened twice.....

Stacy

Old 12-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey John,

Somehow the static from the polishing cloth fries the front control module.
I do believe it can happen even when doing it by hand.....
I am guess it is when polishing around the passenger side headlight.I cannot explain it BUT it has happened twice.....

Stacy
Wow, that's interesting- thanks! I suppose climatic conditions (cold and dry) with high static could contribute. Were you using a PC with a wet polish, pad, and good MF towel? I could easily remove them and do them off-car, but with a PC or rotary bracing them would be difficult.
CATTMAN

Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 PM
phoenix1 is infamous around these parts

CATTMAN
I use the 3M to do the polishing part quickly with a cordless drill and then use Glassylite to replace the factory hard coat on the headlight lens. I have wasted a lot of time and money to figure out what works best. 99% of the headlight restoration products out there are trash but using these two kits together gave me great long lasting results. I did one of my cars two years ago and it still looks great.

Last edited by phoenix1; 12-25-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-25-2009, 08:46 PM
phoenix1 is infamous around these parts
If you want to read up on a comparison of headlight restoration kits you can check out http://headlightrestoration.org

Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow, that's interesting- thanks! I suppose climatic conditions (cold and dry) with high static could contribute. Were you using a PC with a wet polish, pad, and good MF towel? I could easily remove them and do them off-car, but with a PC or rotary bracing them would be difficult.
CATTMAN
John,
I really have no idea 'why' this happens or 'how' BUT it does and has been talked about by a few!
Just be careful,if you fry the control module,I will help you find it!

Stacy

Old 12-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
One thing I would not do is polish the head lamps. All plastic headlamps ( covers) are made from polycarbonate due to adequate impact resistance and pedestrian protection. Acrylic lenses can be used in other ( tail lamps, side markets) lighting applications because pedestrian protections is not as much an issue. Acrylics are more brittle and can shatter but they do not yellow. The problems with polycarbonate ( PC) is that it has the worst chemical resistance of any enginering polymer and secondly, it yellows with time. To address the chemical resisitance issue for lighting applications , PC parts are generally "hard coated". This coating protects the PC form things like alcohols and other chemicals that will destroy or crack the material. Polishing can remove the protective coating and accelerate the aging process. If you pour isopropanol on unprotected PC, it will crack or "craze" before your eyes, in seconds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight polishing