997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
There is a lot of miss-information or bad assumptions being made in this thread.

All M96 based engines have IMS's. This covers basically every Carrera, Cayman, and Boxter from 99-2008. GT1 based cars like the TT, GT3, and CGT do not have IMS's. Also, the new DFI engines do not have IMS's. There have been updates made to the IMS throughout the life of the M96. The short answer, 2006 and later M96/7 engines should have the updated beefier single ROW IMS Bearing that is more unlikely to fail.

Most IMS failures are a result of the bearing failing, hence why Porsche upgraded the bearing and not the actual IMS. However, the non-forged IMS can fail as well but its unlikely. Usually the the bearing starts fail causing some vibration in the shaft. Ultimately it is the failure of the bearing that causes the shaft to fail.

Porsche has a replacement engine program. Parts and labor once your "core" engine is sent to Porsche will run you around 8-10K. I had a buddy money-shift his engine and he used the Porsche engine replacement program. Not 20K. The engine you receive from Porsche will have the upgraded single ROW bearing and will be a remanufactured unit. There is some debate as to weather or not the engine is actually a rebuilt motor or a new unit just marked as re-manufactured.

A good thing to do is read the articles published by LN engineering. Nuts and Bolts: these engines need more oil changes than signified by Porsche. I would change my oil every 5K at the most to ensure the IMS bearing is receiving proper and good lubrication. I would also look at higher quality oils than Mobil Euro Blend such as Motul which has significantly better addatives and is higher rated. If you do not know what the labels on the back of the oil bottle means, you should probably learn.

Jason

Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
There is a lot of miss-information or bad assumptions being made in this thread.

All M96 based engines have IMS's. This covers basically every Carrera, Cayman, and Boxter from 99-2008. GT1 based cars like the TT, GT3, and CGT do not have IMS's. Also, the new DFI engines do not have IMS's. There have been updates made to the IMS throughout the life of the M96. The short answer, 2006 and later M96/7 engines should have the updated beefier single ROW IMS Bearing that is more unlikely to fail.

Most IMS failures are a result of the bearing failing, hence why Porsche upgraded the bearing and not the actual IMS. However, the non-forged IMS can fail as well but its unlikely. Usually the the bearing starts fail causing some vibration in the shaft. Ultimately it is the failure of the bearing that causes the shaft to fail.

Porsche has a replacement engine program. Parts and labor once your "core" engine is sent to Porsche will run you around 8-10K. I had a buddy money-shift his engine and he used the Porsche engine replacement program. Not 20K. The engine you receive from Porsche will have the upgraded single ROW bearing and will be a remanufactured unit. There is some debate as to weather or not the engine is actually a rebuilt motor or a new unit just marked as re-manufactured.

A good thing to do is read the articles published by LN engineering. Nuts and Bolts: these engines need more oil changes than signified by Porsche. I would change my oil every 5K at the most to ensure the IMS bearing is receiving proper and good lubrication. I would also look at higher quality oils than Mobil Euro Blend such as Motul which has significantly better addatives and is higher rated. If you do not know what the labels on the back of the oil bottle means, you should probably learn.

Jason
great summary

Old 01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
I actually would be more worried about the carrera...i believe too few mles is worse than more miles for these engines.

get out and drive and enjoy....and don't worry...you have a great stable of cars.
Buck is right! Hence why Porsche requires a minimum yearly mileage to comply with the warranty.

Jason

Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 PM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
..and what is the minimum mileage to comply with the warranty? I average about 2500 miles a year on my Carrera and 6000 miles a year on my Boxster. (The Bimmer takes the DD duties)

Logic would still dictate that even if you still change your oil annually with quality product and allow your engine to warm up properly prior to spirited driving, lower mileage shouldn't be an issue. The RMS is a different issue when there is low mileage usage.

Last edited by slant83; 01-02-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 PM
sphinz is infamous around these partssphinz is infamous around these parts
from the booklet:

Your responsibility for normal vehicle use
-To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits. Porsche guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15 miles/24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles/9600 kilometers per rolling 12 months.
-If you drive less than the above mentioned limits, or in the event of prolonged storage, contact your local authorized Porsche dealer for instructions.
(Note: A battery maintainer is available at your local authorized porsche dealer. It must be used to maintain your vehicles battery state of charge if your vehicle will not be used for several days.

Hope that helps

Last edited by sphinz; 01-02-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old 01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jolly
from the booklet:

Your responsibility for normal vehicle use
-To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits. Porsche guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15 miles/24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles/9600 kilometers per rolling 12 months.
-If you drive less than the above mentioned limits, or in the event of prolonged storage, contact your local authorized Porsche dealer for instructions.
(Note: A batter maintainer is available at your local authorized porsche dealer. It must be used to maintain your vehicles battery state of charge if your vehicle will not be used for several days.

Hope that helps
it does...thanks

Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 AM
Kurt_OH is infamous around these partsKurt_OH is infamous around these parts
Has anyone experienced or heard of a warranty denial due to insufficient mileage? The only thing I could imagine is they'd maybe squabble over a battery, or question whether you'd had lubricants replaced on a reasonable interval due to condensation.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Has anyone experienced or heard of a warranty denial due to insufficient mileage? The only thing I could imagine is they'd maybe squabble over a battery, or question whether you'd had lubricants replaced on a reasonable interval due to condensation.
That is exactly what I was told at Champion Porsche here in S Florida. Battery and service issues only(oil, brake fluids, ect)

Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 PM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
I have an extended Fidelity warranty, and had a transmission leak recently. The miles were low (22k at the time) so they had to send a rep out to check out the car when a claim was made. After that no squabble and they paid for it.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM

I've seen posts written about it

Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
pqchamp is infamous around these parts
porsche were terrific new engine on it's way

Old 01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
Thanks Great!!! It will be like a brand new car. Are they making you pay for the labor cost?

Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Just had my "IMS" seal and bearing replaced by the dealer. '07 997 S delivered in 8/06. 24k miles. The bellhousing had been wet several thousand miles, but never actually dripped. Complained to my dealer and they told me, "We must address complaints" and they changed it out. I had "complained" before actually, but they said it wasn't "leaking" so they couldn't replace it. The warranty job looks like it retailed for about $1000. Really glad to have it done under warranty. I was surprised though since the RMS seems much more common. They clearly indicated that a bearing was replaced and they had to order the seal, so I suspect it really was the IMS instead. Anybody the know the warranty duration of replaced parts?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
The TT's and GT3 actually do have IMS's. But they are the older style where the bearings a held by the crankcase halves and pressure fed oil by the high pressure oil system. The M96/7 seriies engines have IMS's that are not held in place with bearing held by the case halfs. Rather the trans end is held in place by the sealed bearing and the small bolt in the middle and the other end is held in place/centered by the oil pump. The old style IMS seldom experienced bearing failures. The new sytle IMS has a history of the sealed bearing failing.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
AJ997S is infamous around these parts
Wow consider yourself lucky! I had to dish out $19,000 for a new 08' motor!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Failure