997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I finally understand PDK's allure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
i just hate the shift buttons....

Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
If I could afford a Cayman S as a stablemate for my C2S I would opt for PDK in the C2S and manual tranny in the Cayman S, but, since I'm not *that* fortunate it's gotta be a manual for me.

I owned a PDK C2 for about 6 months. I spent 4 of those months trying to convince myself that the newness hadn't worn off and that I still liked the PDK. I finally just admitted to myself that, for me, PDK was not the way to go for my sole sports car.

With my PDK C2 in the garage I wasn't able to talk myself in to selling my manual tranny E46 M3, but as soon as I traded the PDK C2 for the manual C2S it was painless to let the M3 go.

My shifts are not as perfect or as fast in my manual C2S, but they are *my* shifts and I enjoy that. I'm probably slower in my C2S manual than I was in my C2 PDK, but for me speed is only part of the equation; the most important part of the equation being involvement.

PDK works brilliantly and adds to the Carrera in terms of it being either a track car for speed or a Grand Tourer for convenience and comfort, but for having fun on back roads or even the kind of commute I use the car for once or twice a week I gotta go manual.

I "understand" it too, but I just didn't find it all that exciting once I stopped marveling at the technology.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
When I ordered my car last June the salesman *made* me try a PDK equipped car even though I told him up front that I'm ordering a manual. On the test drive he hit the sport plus button and I have to admit that the lighting fast shifts at 7,200 were very impressive as was the sound (isn't it always).

I see the Italian marques are really pushing their so-called automated manuals too. Lambo has their "e-gear" although I don't believe their system is a dual clutch from what I've been reading. Ferrari's were known for their thick chrome metal shift gates with no "bag" around them but now most models come with paddles.

I taught myself to drive a manual over 25 years ago on my first RX-7 which was also my first brand new car. I lived 90 miles (one way) from the Mazda dealership and this was my first time driving a car with a manual trans. I had several years of experience with bikes before that so I thought it would be a piece of cake but the hand/foot coordination is totally different. Still, I was able to apply at least in principle what I learned from the bikes to the car. In about a week I was pretty good but each manual trans is different and takes time to get used to.

While I totally admire the F1 technology behind PDK, I'm sticking with my manual. I'll save the $4000 and use it to pay for my RMS when that goes.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
... I'll save the $4000 and use it to pay for my RMS when that goes.

FYI... there's no RMS issue in your 9A1 engine.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Howie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to beholdHowie is a splendid one to behold
I first discovered the virtues of a dual-clutch automatic gearbox on my VW Golf R32. It was quirky and it had its glitches. The Golf will grab the clutch abruptly on take-off, no matter how lightly you press the throttle. The PDK is absolutely perfect. Nothing about it is strange and it does everything right, smooth and precise.

I haven't driven a manual car in more than a year until I drove a friend's Lotus Elise. Now if there's that comment about nothing replacing a foot operated clutch for feel than this car is it. It was so long since I driven a manual but being in this car it felt like I just drove one the day before! The stick was a bit vague, but the clutch pickup was nice and sweet; the engine and gearbox whine being heard over the right shoulder (i was driving a RHD elise) was magic. The whizzes, pops, clicks and clunks made by all the mechanical linkages was truly an experience. It was such a fun little machine and I wasn't even breaking the speed limit!

I think the 911 is the ultimate everyday supercar. For weekends, I think I would fancy an Elise or Exige!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:12 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
PDK....it's the ultimate for the track and street.

I feel no less involved in driving my PDK Carrera S in manual mode than when I had manual shift cars.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:48 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
i get it too, unbeleveably fantastic trans!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:26 AM
dlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nicedlchasen is just really nice
One thing I have always loved about the manual is the engine braking power, i.e., taking it up to 5-6,000 rpm's and letting it unwind on its own, particularly with the PSE. Automatics don't deliver the same feel, and I'm wondering whether the PDK will perform the same trick.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dlchasen
One thing I have always loved about the manual is the engine braking power, i.e., taking it up to 5-6,000 rpm's and letting it unwind on its own, particularly with the PSE. Automatics don't deliver the same feel, and I'm wondering whether the PDK will perform the same trick.
PDK does...but brakes are for braking and letting the engine slow the car down is not the correct way. PDK will perfectly rev match on down shift either manual or in auto mode...thus not upsetting the balance of the car under braking.