997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

the 997 just got smart....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM
drkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to alldrkside is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jolly
...as a roommate!

Figured I'd pick up a car outside of the porsche and SUV just to get around town in. So far, this thing is an absolute blast. It definitely gets more looks than the 997!

some mobile phone shots

looks like it would fit in the bed of that truck!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:22 PM
sphinz is infamous around these partssphinz is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax
It gets alot of looks because people are laughing. Just being honest
absolutely! Glad I can bring a smile to their faces. have you noticed my username?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jay Jones
LOL, nice pick-up! The one issue that truly scares me about those Smart Cars would be a serious car accident. I have not checked the crash ratings on those tiny things, but it appears that you would be history in any sort of serious collision.

Enjoy your amazing gas mileage, be safe!

Jay
Definitely, I was, and am concerned about that too. But, I basically view it as a motor cycle, and I just use it for around town trips. It's kind of like a toy car that I can just leave parked in the same place for 3 days and not worry about it - unlike the porsche.

As for the safety ratings, they are on par with other cars in it's class, such as honda fit, toyota yaris, etc. 5 star frontal, and 4 star side crash test rating I believe.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
The real question....................................Why?hi larious
****s and giggles my man. That and I like the fact that it is somewhat eco-friendly being 95% recyclable, and also has good around town gas mileage. I think the prius is just horrid looking, and there are no good and cheap purely electric vehicles on the road today.

Originally Posted by AlexM
So, if you buy anything bigger than a box of cereal you still need to call friends with a real SUV to bail you out?
Ha! I actually tossed a suitcase full of clothes in there today and drove it over to the good will. Not to mention I also tossed my golf clubs in and hit the driving range this morning

Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
[quote=jolly;2672651]****s and giggles my man. That and I like the fact that it is somewhat eco-friendly being 95% recyclable, and also has good around town gas mileage. I think the prius is just horrid looking,

If u had a prius, u would definetly be a tree hugger with an obama bumper sticker I would PM Chuck and ask him to ban u ! ROFL

Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 AM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
Well, you're getting a bit beat up based on the first few replies I read and I don't want to pile on even though it sounds like folks are mainly just messing with ya, but I agree with the poster who was worried about safety in the event of a collision. T-Bone accident are typically a bit brutal, but God forbid you get T-Boned on the driver's side in the Smart.

I wanted a run around (and commuter) car as well, something I didn't have to really worry too much about getting dinged up or piling mileage on.

The VW Jetta TDI has an enormous trunk, reasonably sized back seat, 5 star crash rating all around and I'm getting 51mpg on my commute and 39mpg if i'm just running errands. Finding diesel is occasionally a drag....it's everywhere until I'm running low of course.......it tends to run about the same as premium unleaded these days and I usually wear a surgical style glove when pumping to keep my hand from reaking, but other than that I love the car.

For those looking for a second car strictly for a bit of a beater look at the TDI; it's a great car.......The interior even feels decidedly German with a great driving position and a snick, snick, snickity feel to the shifter (built in Mexico).

If you don't need or want 4 doors look at the new Golf TDI.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Crash tests would suggest that even when the other vehicle is an C class MB the occupants of the Smart do not fair well in a head on offset crash at moderate speeds. Anything larger than that hits it and it gets progressively worse as the other vehicle gets larger and heavier. If you Google it or just go to You Tube you'll see what I mean. With all the mammoth sized SUV's on America's roads and our "I'm so busy I can't pay attention to my driving" society I'd make sure you leave lot's of space between you and anything on the road bigger than a golf cart when you're driving it.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
RUFLUV is infamous around these parts
Regarding the crash concerns, hopefully this vehicle will be a "grocery getter" used for short-hop low speed driving not interstate travel. It has more protection for occupants than a motorcycle and is more visible to other drivers. Going on the roads is a risk in any car.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 AM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
The crash test.... pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJHpUO-S0i8

Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 AM
djlod is infamous around these parts
Quite a video.
At 70 mph the car does pretty well (albeit impact was at a slight angle).
I guess those Smart Cars are relatively safe after all.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by RUFLUV
Regarding the crash concerns, hopefully this vehicle will be a "grocery getter" used for short-hop low speed driving not interstate travel. It has more protection for occupants than a motorcycle and is more visible to other drivers. Going on the roads is a risk in any car.
Actually, my mentality with this car is that it IS a motorcycle. I won't be driving it in the rain, and I won't be driving it long distances. Sure, it may be a bit safer than a motorcycle, but I plan on driving it like one. Short distances, around town, point A to Point B type trips.