997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Clutch technique help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Clutch technique help?

So I've always driven a manual accept for the last few years. I've never had a car with as much power and torque as my 997S however and my technique could use some help. I'm starting to get the feel of rev matching & heel toe downshifting but my main concern is with upshifting. I've noticed that sometimes, when shifting from second into third I get kind of a thud, feel more than sound, when releasing the pedal. I can't tell if it's because I've started to engage the gas to soon or late or if I'm just dropping it to fast.
If I let the clutch out carefully and pay attention everything is fine, so I know it's me. The problem is that I keep thinking about it and letting the clutch out so slow that I'm loosing momentum by the time I'm engaged..

Can someone explain to me what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I suggest you invite an experienced P-car owner (or your dealer's service manager) to ride w/ you and evaluate your technique. Smoothness and progression is the name of the game. Clutches are never dropped.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by adias
I suggest you invite an experienced P-car owner (or your dealer's service manager) to ride w/ you and evaluate your technique. Smoothness and progression is the name of the game. Clutches are never dropped.
OK, dropped may have been a dramatic overstatement on my part. I meant not as smooth as possible.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Hella-Buggin'

I've experienced the exact same thud you describe and I have over 25 years experience driving a manual transmission although I'm new to Porsche. That being said I do think I know what the issue is. Remember in the 911 the transmission (actually transaxle) is in the rear. The clutch pedal is connected to the transaxle by a cable. When you release the clutch pedal very quickly it takes a moment for the cable to regain tension. I don't believe it's anything to worry about but you can always have your service center check the clutch cable tension. There is an adjustment for it under the car.

Last edited by Auto_Union; 12-31-2009 at 08:21 PM.