997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Possible to add CPO after bought from private party?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
Possible to add CPO after bought from private party?

I am in the process of finding an 07+.

If I were to buy one from a private party, is it possible to take the car to dealer and pay to get it CPOed? Of course assuming everything checks out.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
No.

With my previous purchases, I have found that CPO status can only come from an sale through a Porsche approved dealership at the time of sale. If a car is sold to a commercial broker or non authorized dealership, the CPO status is rescinded. If a dealership "sells" you a CPO warranty, and a warranty claim climbs up the chain of command to PCNA, PCNA may void the warranty claim as they require registration of sale through a authorized dealership.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It would cost you more than if you just bought a CPO car directly from the dealership .

Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
No.

With my previous purchases, I have found that CPO status can only come from an sale through a Porsche approved dealership at the time of sale. If a car is sold to a commercial broker or non authorized dealership, the CPO status is rescinded. If a dealership "sells" you a CPO warranty, and a warranty claim climbs up the chain of command to PCNA, PCNA may void the warranty claim as they require registration of sale through a authorized dealership.
This is what I thought .. please correct me if I am not correct -

1) If the car has no CPO status a dealership can take it in trade and CPO it .

2) If a car has CPO status --it can be transferred via private sale but NOT from a dealership .

3) If a CPO car is traded into a dealership it loses all remaining CPO ability .

In the original posters case --if he buys a car private party he would have to sell it to a dealership and then buy it back . They would give him wholesale , then CPO it, and then sell it back to him retail . It would cost so much that it just isn't worth it .

Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Yes you can and I've done it. The key is to make your deal with the seller and then make a deal with the Dealer to run the paper work and CPO the car. When I did it just over a year ago it was $299 to the dealer (their standard transaction / conveyance fee) + about $1850 for the CPO warranty extension and the inspections (nothing needed replacing). We used the dealer that sold the car to the seller - they had a good relationship.

Technically, you sign a contract with the dealer and give a deposit. The seller conveys the car to the dealer for your agreed amount. Dealer then sells to you.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
No, I just had my engine replaced by Porsche and I asked that very question. Only Porsches that are purchased from a Porsche dealership can CPO. Your best bet is to go to a 3rd party for an extended warranty.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
You guys that are saying "no" aren't understanding the real question. OP says he is shopping for a car and wants to buy one that's available from a private party. He thinks he has to buy it from him first. He doesn't, all he has to do is make the arrangement like I outlined. Many have posted in the past doing it just like I did.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
This is what I thought .. please correct me if I am not correct -

1) If the car has no CPO status a dealership can take it in trade and CPO it .

2) If a car has CPO status --it can be transferred via private sale but NOT from a dealership .

3) If a CPO car is traded into a dealership it loses all remaining CPO ability .

In the original posters case --if he buys a car private party he would have to sell it to a dealership and then buy it back . They would give him wholesale , then CPO it, and then sell it back to him retail . It would cost so much that it just isn't worth it .
Larry...as always, you summarized it perfectly. And I agree completely.

- bob

Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by RonCT
You guys that are saying "no" aren't understanding the real question. OP says he is shopping for a car and wants to buy one that's available from a private party. He thinks he has to buy it from him first. He doesn't, all he has to do is make the arrangement like I outlined. Many have posted in the past doing it just like I did.
Unless you or the seller have a special relationship wiith a dealership, you may be out of luck. If PCNA discovers that the car was not purchased through the dealership offering the CPO, they will void the warranty. Just speaking from experience...I have been to that party and been royally screwed...

Last edited by bbywu; 01-04-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
I am the OP.

Wow...so many replies in such short time. This is a great forum. Thanks to everyone.

There is a 2008 C2S on autotrader for $60k (one owner etc). The car is still under original factory warranty. I am hoping dealer can CPO it for me either after I take title or arrange with seller, dealer & me (like RonCT). I pay seller for the car and pay dealer for PPI, $1800 or so for CPO and some small fee etc.

Possible?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Taiwanese
I am the OP.

Wow...so many replies in such short time. This is a great forum. Thanks to everyone.

There is a 2008 C2S on autotrader for $60k (one owner etc). The car is still under original factory warranty. I am hoping dealer can CPO it for me either after I take title or arrange with seller, dealer & me (like RonCT). I pay seller for the car and pay dealer for PPI, $1800 or so for CPO and some small fee etc.

Possible?
It sounds great in theory but there's differences . If you and that seller were both multiple Porsche buyers from that dealership --even then they won't do this for free . It makes sense that they make some profit and keep you both satisfied and in their shop which might be the reason that it worked for Ron. It would also (in my opinion) help if you were in a different region and negotiating this in a different economy .

BUT ...
You are in LA . That's as a hot a sales region as it gets . Porsches are a dime a dozen. The overhead on a So Cal dealership is high . You are a first time buyer and if the seller is on auto trader he may have already checked what they would give him on that car.

In short the dynamics are different . Those differences present two very different predicted outcomes . It costs nothing to ask them though but don't be disappointed if they say no. That's my guess on it and I hope I;m wrong because I realize that you want the car . So .. I wish you the best of luck .

Maybe if you love that particular car .. the CPO might be worth passing up and take a few more bucks off the price with the seller along with a thorough inspection.

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-04-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 AM
I even have to disagree with this. As far as PCNA is concerned, what I did is a legitimate arms-length transaction. Private party sold his car to the dealer, all paperwork went through, I bought from dealer after CPO was put on the car (and I paid $2150 more for it to cover). I even got PCNA approval (phone call to PCNA) of this before I did it to be sure. It would be helpful to know how your situation went and why they voided yours.

Originally Posted by bbywu
Unless you or the seller have a special relationship wiith a dealership, you may be out of luck. If PCNA discovers that the car was not purchased through the dealership offering the CPO, they will void the warranty. Just speaking from experience...I have been to that party and been royally screwed...

Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RonCT
I even have to disagree with this. As far as PCNA is concerned, what I did is a legitimate arms-length transaction. Private party sold his car to the dealer, all paperwork went through, I bought from dealer after CPO was put on the car (and I paid $2150 more for it to cover). I even got PCNA approval (phone call to PCNA) of this before I did it to be sure. It would be helpful to know how your situation went and why they voided yours.

I have seen other post this route sucessfully.posted by others. I guess it depends on how its handled.

Bob's posts give you pause for concern and suggests one contact PCNA for final verification.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 AM
True that and I guess it depends on how you ask. If you say "I'm interested in buying a car that was just traded in to my local Porsche dealership and would like to buy it but only if it has CPO on it, can the dealer add it and then sell the car to me?" Then I have to believe PCNA will agree.