997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Currently stranded on the side of the road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Global warming my ***! 34F when I got to my car this morning at 6:30 AM!!!! In Miami!
So then you finally get to try out those heated seats . . . or it that not even an option for Florida cars.

krown05

I'm sorry to hear of your breakdown. Please be safe and keep us posted on what the trouble was. If this was an "old school" motor my first guess would be a fuel problem (or lack thereof) but these modern cars are so complicated that it could be anything. The tech will plug in their diagnostic scanner to your OBDII port and they should almost immediately see which module is faulting. I hope it's not too expensive or if you have an extended warantee that they don't deny your claim like so many of them try to do.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
So then you finally get to try out those heated seats . . . or it that not even an option for Florida cars.
Yah... the one option the previous owner didn't spring for on my car. Then again, why is it an option.... ....standard on just about every other car I've owned....

Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM
p-cardriver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Global warming my ***! 34F when I got to my car this morning at 6:30 AM!!!! In Miami!
My friend that lives 2 blocks down, had to scrape ice from her windshield!!!!! With a squeegee! LOL!
Hope it's nothing serious...
A squeegee? Next time use a credit card. And its a little faster if you start the car and turn on the defrosters first...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by krown05
So I'm on my way home from work and right smack in the middle of traffic my car stalls and won't start back up again. After several attempts to restart the car, I threw in the towel and pushed it off to the side of the road. I'm currently sitting in my car waiting for the tow truck. Oh, did I mentioned that it's freezing outside and that I need to use the restroom? This is not the afternoon I had in mind. Please excuse my ranting, but I need to vent.
Hey Ray -I just saw this . I wasn't at my computer at 5 and just looked now . It's 8 :30 . I would have come picked you up . I guess you did have to wait by the car though but I still would have stopped by . I hope it's a simple fix . Hang in there.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
Smile

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words and allowing me to vent. I'm also sorry for taking so long to give you all an update.

As far as what happened, I was in "stop and go traffic" and suddenly the car stalled...I figured that I just stalled, but when I went to restart the car, there was no power. After several tries I pushed the car off to the side of the road. After my ridiculous ranting, I deducted that it was battery. Thankfully, I was able to call my father who was near my local dealer (The Collection). He picked up a new battery and began the search to find me on the side of the road. Honestly, if it wasn't for him I would've had to wait even longer for Roadside. When he arrived we installed the new battery and the Pcar sprung to life! Just in time too, for another 911 let me squeeze in traffic (Gotta love the cordialness of Porsche drivers). Anyway, it ended up being a rather small problem, that only caused me a few hours of inconvenience...No biggie. However, I'd like to thank you all again for the kind words, and YES, I should've gone with the heated seats option.

Cheers,

Ray

Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words and allowing me to vent. I'm also sorry for taking so long to give you all an update.

As far as what happened, I was in "stop and go traffic" and suddenly the car stalled...I figured that I just stalled, but when I went to restart the car, there was no power. After several tries I pushed the car off to the side of the road. After my ridiculous ranting, I deducted that it was battery. Thankfully, I was able to call my father who was near my local dealer (The Collection). He picked up a new battery and began the search to find me on the side of the road. Honestly, if it wasn't for him I would've had to wait even longer for Roadside. When he arrived we installed the new battery and the Pcar sprung to life! Just in time too, for another 911 let me squeeze in traffic (Gotta love the cordialness of Porsche drivers). Anyway, it ended up being a rather small problem, that only caused me a few hours of inconvenience...No biggie. However, I'd like to thank you all again for the kind words, and YES, I should've gone with the heated seats option.

Cheers,

Ray
well, glad you found the reason but you may want to check how you could completely deplete a battery while your car was running. that is not typical. is your generator and all related circuits alive?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I am glad to hear that it is something so small. I would recommend getting a Porsche trickle charger, plug your car in when it is sleeping. It will keep your car happy.

Another thought is you may want to check with the Porsche dealer, and make sure that it isn't a grounding or alternator issue that will lead to a possible second failure.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
krown05 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NorthVan
I am glad to hear that it is something so small. I would recommend getting a Porsche trickle charger, plug your car in when it is sleeping. It will keep your car happy.

Another thought is you may want to check with the Porsche dealer, and make sure that it isn't a grounding or alternator issue that will lead to a possible second failure.
I was thinking the same thing in regards to the alternator. It took me completely by surprise when the car shut off unexpectedly. In all honesty, at first I didn't think it was the battery since the car had been running for a good amount of time. This is the first of any electrical issues I've had with the car. I've had it for some time now and for the most part, it has behaved beautifully. I'm currently scheduling an appointment with my dealer in regards to the issue.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Taiwanese is infamous around these parts
Please keep us update after your visit with the dealer.

I hope your alternator is all right.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
CarGuy21 is infamous around these partsCarGuy21 is infamous around these parts
I was thinking the same thing in regards to the alternator. It took me completely by surprise when the car shut off unexpectedly. In all honesty, at first I didn't think it was the battery since the car had been running for a good amount of time. This is the first of any electrical issues I've had with the car. I've had it for some time now and for the most part, it has behaved beautifully. I'm currently scheduling an appointment with my dealer in regards to the issue.
It could also be something as simple as a loose accessorie drive belt that doesn't spin the alternator fast enough for it to charge. Also, I think your car should have a volt meter. It should show at least 13 to 14 volts when the engine is running especially above idle.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I had the battery then alteranator replacement on my Honda so I also thought the same. It did the same thing your car did. I have never experienced this with a Porsche though. Usually when the battery goes it just all of sudden fails to start . I have even considered pre emptive battery replacement but was advised against it.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by greenpdk
No wait. When it gets to cold they call it climate change. All B.S.
Global warming/climate change/man-made climate change will go down in history as the biggest hoax ever. The sad thing is we are all paying for it. How stupid/ignorant can the general public be?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Don
Don is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to allDon is a name known to all
Originally Posted by geestyleed
I offer 25F this morning in South Carolina, Charleston

My Daily Beater(ML320) made some nasty sounds at this temp....
Where are you in Charleston? Do you belong to the local PCA chapter? I'm in Mt. Pleasant.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
...........I have even considered pre emptive battery replacement but was advised against it.
Why advised against this? I'm about to (4 years) even though I have not had a problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Ray,
are you going to the breakfast on ocean drive?

see ya there!

joel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Currently stranded on the side of the road