997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Forged Wheels HELP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Forged Wheels HELP?

Hi Guys,

My car is stored for winter time(gotta love Canada ). Can'T help by going inside the garage to look at it everyday and think of what will my mods be when spring comes.

Wing
Lowering Springs
Change the Wheels.

My questions to you guys is what is the best priced forged wheels out there? I really dont feel like spending 5k on wheels. And can someone explain me the differences or the real advantage of going for forged wheels? I'm thinking of puting something in black with chrome lip. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help....

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 AM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
not sure what the best priced forged wheels are, but I can tell you that forged wheels are made in such a way that they can achieve greater strength than cast wheels with the same weight (i.e. pound for pound, forged will be stronger).

Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by montreal911
Hi Guys,

My car is stored for winter time(gotta love Canada ). Can'T help by going inside the garage to look at it everyday and think of what will my mods be when spring comes.

Wing
Lowering Springs
Change the Wheels.

My questions to you guys is what is the best priced forged wheels out there? I really dont feel like spending 5k on wheels. And can someone explain me the differences or the real advantage of going for forged wheels? I'm thinking of puting something in black with chrome lip. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help....
18" Volks at tirerack right now. $599 per wheel.

But if you feel a need for fancy wheels, for looks and not for racing - then you`ll get into $5K territory anyway as it wil be HREs, BBSs and so on with $1K+ per wheel.

If you need just new light wheels - say heck with forged ones - you can get OZ alleggeritas 18" or unltraleggeras 19". I got botticcellis last summer as ultraleggeras I wanted were out of stock - so now my wheels are somewhat 3.5lbs heavier than they could be and it annoys me a bit. Not if 3lbs diff would completely degrade performance, but, still, rims could be lighter and as any psychological thing does - it keeps buzzing in some corner of a brain.

Make sure you buy exactly what you want and you think you need.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
18" Volks at tirerack right now. $599 per wheel.

But if you feel a need for fancy wheels, for looks and not for racing - then you`ll get into $5K territory anyway as it wil be HREs, BBSs and so on with $1K+ per wheel.

If you need just new light wheels - say heck with forged ones - you can get OZ alleggeritas 18" or unltraleggeras 19". I got botticcellis last summer as ultraleggeras I wanted were out of stock - so now my wheels are somewhat 3.5lbs heavier than they could be and it annoys me a bit. Not if 3lbs diff would completely degrade performance, but, still, rims could be lighter and as any psychological thing does - it keeps buzzing in some corner of a brain.

Make sure you buy exactly what you want and you think you need.
Thanks for the info.... I was looking for 19inch wheels since I had just got new tires at the end of last summer to put on my lobster wheels :P.....

Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info.... I was looking for 19inch wheels since I had just got new tires at the end of last summer to put on my lobster wheels :P.....
Well, to what it`s worth - I am most likely will be selling those 19" and reverting back to 18". Just will kill to the cord set of PS2 tires I got on my rims now then I will most likely sell them somehow and get set of 18" ones.

Just got back on my car my winter set of 18" carrera classics with PA2 tires on them and ride is so much smoother on them it makes me think again why do I want to shake myself on 19" all summer long if for racing I will need to get 18" rims anyway. All that makes no practical sense.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Hi Guys,

Wing
Lowering Springs
Change the Wheels.

Thanks for the help....
Wheels are very important . The weight as well how they are tested place both performance and safety as priorities . There are too many good wheels to list and there are also some wheel that are not expensive, very pretty, but not well made .

I won't make suggestions one way or the other but i will say do not place junk on your . If saving money is yoir best route then stay stock.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
do your research on forgestars. They look nice but i'm unsure about the quality.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM
akim47 is infamous around these partsakim47 is infamous around these parts
forged wheels are more structurally sound than cast wheels, as you have the possibility of air molecule pockets with the latter. i think they have vacuum techniques to minimize this effect on the cast wheels. overall, you can make a better, stronger and lighter wheel with less metal utilizing a forged process, but it will cost you.

just in theory, i'd say you would always take a forged wheel. but just because they are stronger, doesnt mean u can't f^$$ a wheel up by driving into a pothole. just keep that in mind.

My opinion on wheels is to not cut corners. Get what you like the first time. You will end up spending more money in the long run if you get a wheel you don't like and end up replacing it. Go to all the various websites (wheel enhancement, etc.) to get a better idea of what is out there. Wheels are subject to personal taste. My friends and I agree on some wheels and disagree on others. I always get the wheels I want, not what I think other people will like...

If you do want to stick with the norm, then you'll likely end up with HRE's or Iforged or something along those lines... Personally, I think HRE's are a bit overhyped and way overpriced. (Sorry, I know they are a site sponsor). But I wont argue that P40s do look nice (a la Joe Shark)...

anyways, do your homework and decide for yourself. if you want to save some money, keep your eyes on the classified sections of some of the p-car sites. deals come up all the time.

lastly, about your tires, the only issue is you may want to go 305's or even wider on the rear depending on the wheel you get. i haven't seen to many people roll with the OE 295 set up on aftermarket wheels. if you're gonna roll 19x11 or > on the rears, you definitely want a wider tire.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys. I should rephrase my question I think because its not like I'm trying to be cheap or anything but what I want to know is whats the best bang for the buck in terms of forged wheels in your opinions? As for the tires I already have 305's in the rear .

Old 01-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Black with chrome lip? hmmmmm....have I got a wheel for you!! These are our in-house designed wheels called the Rennsport|One Type RSR. 19 inch, forged. Feel free to contact me for pricing.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
You can buy high quality forged wheels more cost-effectively if you look for a set of used wheels like I did. I paid $3k for a set of Champions that sold for about $5k. I love them. They're light, strong, and great looking. Try at WTB post in classifieds.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Majac4122 is infamous around these parts
I just bought a set of iss spia 20's and love them. The guys at the shop couldn't believe how light they were. They all agreed that my wheels were the lightest 20's they've ever seen....they are the local shop for all the high end dealerships in the area and they've seen many high end wheels. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Majac4122
I just bought a set of iss spia 20's and love them. The guys at the shop couldn't believe how light they were. They all agreed that my wheels were the lightest 20's they've ever seen....they are the local shop for all the high end dealerships in the area and they've seen many high end wheels. Good luck.

What did they set you back if you dont mind me asking ? Could you post a pic?