997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

e46 M3 to Porsche 997 C2S - My take

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:20 PM
dnewc2s is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
I've also owned both. I had a 2002 and then a 2006 E46 M3 coupe before "trading up" to Carreras. I had the 2006 side-by-side in the garage for about 7 months after buying my first 997 and switched bck and forth regularly during that time.

Essentially I agree with everything you say, but for me there would be no going back to the E46 which felt a bit too raw by comparison. It did have grip for days and more than enough acceleration to be highly entertaining, but the feel of driving the Porsche is just so much more fluid and rewarding.

I vastly prefer the clutch engagement, shifter & steering feel, ride and seating position of the Carrera and those are the key elements for me.

My only issue with the 997.2 C2S mirrors one of your own; too hard to find anything close to the limits during a daily drive......even with a fair amount of back roads involved in the commute. At least while retaining some sense of responsibility.
You're right, I wouldn't go back, but they are a good pair to have. Well, maybe M3 and a GT3 -- fun daily driver and raw sports car. BrandX, not to hijack my own thread, but I noticed your signature. Guitars are my other passion -- what kind of guitar is that? Looks like filtertrons, but it's not a Gretsch -- looks nice.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Boober is infamous around these parts
Nice write up! Just one correction though, Bangle has actually been given credit for the E46 design (including M3).

Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Boober
Nice write up! Just one correction though, Bangle has actually been given credit for the E46 design (including M3).
Pretty sure this is not correct, even though Chris was at BMW at the time, he is not credited with the E46.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DesignworksUSA

Old 01-09-2010, 07:17 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by dnewc2s
BrandX, not to hijack my own thread, but I noticed your signature. Guitars are my other passion -- what kind of guitar is that? Looks like filtertrons, but it's not a Gretsch -- looks nice.
I think since it's your own thread, hijacking might be forgiven......

That's a MotorAve Belaire available exclusively via my shop:

Fat Sound Guitars

MotorAve Guitars are about the only brand I play any more. Completely built by hand by Mark Fuqua.....who is also a car nut.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:24 PM
C2Spin is infamous around these parts
Good write up. I, too, previously owned a E46 M3 (2004 coupe).

A the time I purchased the car it was the most sophisticated sports car I owned. While it was not my DD, I had an incredible time whipping it around the twisties; good driver communication via steering wheel and pedals. The Phoenix Yellow color got a lot of looks an plenty of compliments. There were no ill feelings or comments made by co-workers/peers, but rather kuduos for the nice ride.

Speaking of twisties. When I ride the esses in the M3, I feel as thought I am throwing the car around breaking hard in and excelerate quickly on the way out - you feel the curves. Went and did the same run in the Porsche, and kept waiting for the esses. Next thing I knew I was at the end of the run. I, agree, with an earlier comment that you probably have to be at the track to really appreciate the limits of the car.

Now, I am also the proud owner of a '09 C2S coupe. I get a different feeling when driving the car, and think it was said best when mentioned it "is an event"; it is something special. However, I will not drive the Porsche to work. I know where the limits are with my co-workers/peers, and while we're in the midst of cost reductions/staff reductions, it would not be wise to show up to work driving a new Porsche; heck, I may p*ss someone off and be next on the list.

I won't go into a bunch of comparisons since those of you that have owned both know what they are. For me the two main differences are:
1. The mechanics of the shifter are so much smoother than the M3; M3 was very mechanical and clunky.
2. Power - power in the Porsche is smooth and long. Doesn't ever run out of breath. The M3, to me, has more in your face power. Compared to the C2s; I'm sure I would say something differently if in a Turbo or GT2.

All in all, I enjoy both cars. But would have to give the edge to the Porsche.

Too all, enjoy your ride!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Nice Axes, BRANDX. So many cars, so many guitars, so little time.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM
mdrobc13 is infamous around these parts
I too had an 2002 e46 M3 and a 1999 996 C2 for a period of time and enjoyed them both. To me it was the perfect combination. Unfortunately in 2006 I traded both in for a CPO 2005 997.1 Carrera base and loved that car too. It was SOO much better than the 996 and I agree much smoother in everything it did than than the e46 which was rougher and higher reving. The Carrera I just found to be smooth as butter in shifting and on the road I never found or came close to the cars limits! It was just that good. The 2002 e46 M3 coupe was my daily driver and I loved that it had so much ability and capability as well as stealth to go about the daily business of driving to work and picking up the kids etc without much attention...hell even the wife could drive it. So what did I do..as Obi Wan Kanobi said I brought balance back to the force....and bought a 08 e92 M3 coupe to go with my 05 997 coupe and that was the best of BOTH worlds. A moment of stupidity had me sell my 05 997 last March and it's something I've regretted since doing it. I tried to replace it with an 09 Boxster (speed yellow) which while nice and a great car with 2 kids and a wife just caused too many comprimises and adjustments and for some reason I never felt pushed by the car as I did with my Carrera...so hopefully by this time next week a 09 997.2 Carrera S coupe w/PDK will be back in the fold...and that I think will bring the best balance back to everything and I will trully enjoy my drive whereever I am in whatever vehicle!

So I agree....with 99% of what has been said except to add an M3 (especiallly the new ones e92) are sports coupes/sedans while the 997 is a sports car! They each have similar performance but go about getting there in slightly and subtly different ways which only after owning both and driving them extensively one can understand!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Well, I've seen this on the M3 board many times and here too. As a former E46 M3 owner, I should chime in as well. I had a 2003 SMG

Aesthetics:
I never really cared for the E46 shape. The new E92 looks much better IMO. But the 997 was such a great clean up from the 996, I had to make the move to Porsche. Just a great car with the stock "wide body".
Sound:
Very different camp for me. The M3 rasp was crap. Like many others I spent time and bucks to get rid of it. I don't get it either - the stock 997S has a great exhaust sound. Turns heads stock when you get it over 5k. I think few cars have STOCK exhausts that sound better. I'm afraid to go with an exhaust change because it could be TOO loud and **** of the neighbors, wife, etc. (Reference - I had exhausts on both my E36 and E46 M3's.)
Practicality:
M3 no question about it.

Reliability:
M3?? People hammer their P's without them breaking. OMG, I was happy not to hit the 50k maintenence with that car - I remember BMW was going to want $1200 minimum. 40k and 60k services from the dealer on a 911 are less. It was hard for me to believe. Yeah, the dealer will try to rip you off for 911 brakes, but its about the same pain for an M3. Curious to hear what reliability problems you've had. (Of course I just managed to break my clutch slave cylinder and IMS seal - both would have been $1500 if not covered under warranty. Even then, these are pretty major repairs and the cost is not astronomical considering this is a $100k car.)
Value:
Value? That drove me to buy the Porsche! The new E92 for $70k or an '07 997S for less than $60k. It was a no brainer.
Performance:
Both are faster than you can use. The E46 just had no torque below 5k. The 997 has plenty of torque and good passing power in high gears. The E92 has the same high rev issue - you've got to wind it out to get anything out of it. THe Porsche has more torque and less weight - it just responds much better.
Feel:
Porsche clutch and gearbox hands down. After I drove one I knew I had to have it. However, the M3 handling is much easier to master. Quick turn in and so balanced. Not so the 997. Once you get it, it's amazing, but not until you figure it out. But how do you beat the handling of a car with 50/50 weight distribution? I had coilovers on my car anyway - without 'em the E46 looked like crap and rode like crap. Coilovers smoothed out the ride. Nothing needed on a 997, even though the PASM on sport is too hard and on normal is too soft. I'm tempted to lower it too, but I love the cushy buttom to cruise with the family.
Quality:
Pcar with full leather. Hardly perfect though. What's up with the '80's steering wheel?

Perception:
I like the comment about a Porsche opening doors. True. Some people recognize that I'm probably an enthusiast. Others just scoff. You worry about parking all the time. Mines a DD and I love it. Yep, the new M3 would cost more, get some compliments and people wouldn't give me crap. The 997 is just not the winner here.
Conclusion:
Easy. I want to be like Larry and have a TT for the weekend and an M3 as a DD. The perfect solution.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrobc13
A moment of stupidity had me sell my 05 997 last March and it's something I've regretted since doing it.
Sounds like a recession panic! At the pit everyone else's depression I bought my 997 in June. I think I can almost sell it for as much as I paid...
Glad you can get back in. Yep, having both would be a dream for me .

Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
mdrobc13 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
Sounds like a recession panic! At the pit everyone else's depression I bought my 997 in June. I think I can almost sell it for as much as I paid...
Glad you can get back in. Yep, having both would be a dream for me .
No listen to the significant other who's nantra is "the speed limit is only 65mph so why buy a car than can do 188mph?" After a BMW Performance Delivery of my e92 M3 and an M School I think she NOW understands! Thus the return of the Carrera S to the fold (hopefully!)

Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I enjoyed the read . Having owned multiple M3's , an M5, 330i , etc I still like having a BMW available and currently own an 08 M3 . I can understand what drew you to each conclusion with the some hesitation on the current "Bangled" model . see below - how the 2008 M3 stacks up with the E46M3 and the Porsche .

1) Aesthetics -- You picked Porsche . I would pick it too. We agree.

2) Sound - You picked E46 M3 . I would pick the E92 M3 . Either way M3 wins .

3) Practicality - You picked E46 M3 . I pick E92 M3 . By far the creature comforts are improved in the new car . Either way the M3 wins.

4) Reliability --You picked M3 -- I call it a tie . Both have been extremely reliable .

5) Value -You picked M3 -- I say hard to call it . Unlike the BMW market which retains steady value Porsche can dip or rise . There's also a large enough price gap to open up the topic of proportional value . Again I call it a tie .

6) Performance -You picked Porsche . We agree!!!

7) Feel -- You picked Porsche . We agree.

8) Quality - You picked Porsche . Tough call . A lot of standard M3 items like leather seats are options on the Porsche costing more to get the Porsche right. I will hesitantly agree ( based moreso on the time placed into engineeing an engine which fits this rear engine design yet evolves with increased precision over time).

9) Perception -- You picked E46 M3 . I actualy think the E92 M3 is more understated . Either way M3 wins .

Conclusion - Despite my shared opinion on the Bangled cars I would not toss the E92 out of thse comparisons because in the examples where the E46 M3 lost so did the E92 BUT in the areas where the M3 won I woild pick the E92 over the other two .

It took me awhile to reach the point where I am beginning to like my M3 more than i thought I did . I am not in love with it .. but I could not imagine not having it.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 AM
David4315 is infamous around these parts
One More Comment

Again, as a current owner of both cars I have to get the short throw shifter put in the C4S immediately. I give nearly all aspects of the drive feel to the Porsche except the rowing the shifter. I have a UUC kit in the M3 and it is a pleasure to shift compared to the stock Porsche shifter. I plan on installing the Porsche factory SSK next week and hope the results are as good as the UUC product in the M3. Would appreciate any feedback from those with knowledge of both.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:06 AM
nota_troll is infamous around these partsnota_troll is infamous around these parts
I had a E46 M3 and I really enjoyed it but it's not my 997. If you compare it as a daily usage vehicle the perspective is different. You notice different things.

I used my M3 daily and liked the trunk but when I took it to the track the minuses were more glaring like fading brakes and slushy seats and how it rolls in to the corners.

The 911s have a much more lively chassis dynamics like when I tracked motorcycles. You really feel everything.

When I had my M3 I would often go looking at 911s and remark how 'soft' my M3 was. Even now I drove an E92 M3 coupe and it's 'soft' too

Old 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Boober is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stevepow
Pretty sure this is not correct, even though Chris was at BMW at the time, he is not credited with the E46.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DesignworksUSA
Wow! I guess I should tell him that!

seriously.....he became chief of design for BMW in 92' the E46 was one of his first projects.

Last edited by Boober; 01-10-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 AM
mrxsiv is infamous around these parts
I currently own a 2004 E46 M3 Cab which is fully loaded! Thinking of selling it to get the C4S. Only 32K on the car. Am i nuts to sell it? Don't really have the room to keep it. Always wanted the C4S as I live in Toronto and need the allwheel drive if I am going to use in the winter as well. The M3 is only a summer car as I use my Audi Q7 for the winters and am getting sick of a truck. Anyone here with experience of driving this car all year? Winters up north? Would appreciate your points of view.
Thanks,
Shaun

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: e46 M3 to Porsche 997 C2S - My take