997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

When is the next gen(998?)911 hit the US?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
When is the next gen(998?)911 hit the US?

It is hard to tell from those spy pic, any guess when this will go into production?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
A few months ago everyone was counting on 2011 now that we are firmly in the 2010 model year that talk seems to have calmed down a bit. Personally, I'm not convinced those spy pics are of the 998 or 991 as some have been speculating it will be called. Except for the side mirrors, or wing mirrors as the British call them being moved I really don't see much of a difference. All of that disguise going on in the rear could simply be hiding a new wing shape. It doesn't necessarily mean they are going to change the series number. I personally don't see the angle of the headlights being changed as some of the commentators of those spy pics say.

One thing is for sure. When the 998 (991) does finally arrive our 997's will probably take a big hit in depreciation value unless of course the 998 (991) is perceived by Porsche fans as being unattractive.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Per my sources, the rear will sport a Panamera type retractable wing....not to mention the bump in HP to near 400 for the "S"

Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Auto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the roughAuto_Union is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by og risker
I dont always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos XX
Stay thirsty my friends.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by og risker
Per my sources, the rear will sport a Panamera type retractable wing....not to mention the bump in HP to near 400 for the "S"
That won't be a version change then. At least not the engine. We already have "near 400" in the S at 385 hp, so anything still in that range below 400 would be a three and a half percent improvement at best. Hardly worth advertising, let alone a version.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:20 PM
jherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to beholdjherbias is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Auto_Union
A few months ago everyone was counting on 2011 now that we are firmly in the 2010 model year that talk seems to have calmed down a bit. Personally, I'm not convinced those spy pics are of the 998 or 991 as some have been speculating it will be called. Except for the side mirrors, or wing mirrors as the British call them being moved I really don't see much of a difference. All of that disguise going on in the rear could simply be hiding a new wing shape. It doesn't necessarily mean they are going to change the series number. I personally don't see the angle of the headlights being changed as some of the commentators of those spy pics say.

One thing is for sure. When the 998 (991) does finally arrive our 997's will probably take a big hit in depreciation value unless of course the 998 (991) is perceived by Porsche fans as being unattractive.
That'll be perfect for people like me who want to get into a 997 but can't afford it...

Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 AM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
This thread s/b merged w/ the "car n driver thread" where it discusses the 997 "merely average" preformance. Of course as a consumer, I'm going to be biased as I want the best for the lowest possible price. Im going to agree w/ many members here that P needs to offer a better performance/dollar proposition. To me the rumored 400hp for the upcoming car is a joke. If its just a 15-20 bump in hp, then they better have something else up their sleeves like a 200lb reduction in weight. Notwithstanding the differences b/w the 997 and gt3 engines, the least P can do is to offer the 450hp engine found in the current gt3. That being said, I luv my P so give me reason to love the new model more.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by simsgw
That won't be a version change then. At least not the engine. We already have "near 400" in the S at 385 hp, so anything still in that range below 400 would be a three and a half percent improvement at best. Hardly worth advertising, let alone a version.
Agree, but 400 is still better than my current 320HP...oh yeah

Old 01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by kosmo69
This thread s/b merged w/ the "car n driver thread" where it discusses the 997 "merely average" preformance. Of course as a consumer, I'm going to be biased as I want the best for the lowest possible price. Im going to agree w/ many members here that P needs to offer a better performance/dollar proposition. To me the rumored 400hp for the upcoming car is a joke. If its just a 15-20 bump in hp, then they better have something else up their sleeves like a 200lb reduction in weight. Notwithstanding the differences b/w the 997 and gt3 engines, the least P can do is to offer the 450hp engine found in the current gt3. That being said, I luv my P so give me reason to love the new model more.
If you look at Porsche from a historic perspective the bumps in horsepower are relatively small ones. Remember their famous credo of "evolution, not revolution". It would be nice if they dropped the price of every model in the lineup by 10-15% but that's not going to happen anywhere except in one's dreams.

German companies tend to have a different philosophy than US companies when things aren't going so well. German companies will RAISE prices and attempt to make a higher profit while selling fewer units. I know this all too well from my own business which deals with German companies sometimes. You probably won't see a huge horsepower increase when the 998 (991) debuts but you will definitely see a healthy price increase. I predict that within 10 years the entry level price for a C2 will be around 100K before any options are added.

By the way, if you want more horsepower without having to buy a vehicle primarily designed for the track like a GT3 you can always order a C2S with the power kit option. Personally, I think this option is ridiculously overpriced but it is a good way to have an engine with increased horsepower without aftermarket mods that could potentially void your warrantee.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I would speculate that the next generation might not see a price increase but even a possible decrease. VW wants to sell more P cars and dropping the price a bit will get them noticed. Just a random guess-we'll have to wait and see.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Whenever it is I'll definately put in a special order this time...

Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Scott997
Whenever it is I'll definately put in a special order this time...
+1 Agree. Will not buy "off the lot" this time.

I already have a list of what I will get on it...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
montreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to beholdmontreal911 is a splendid one to behold
Can't wait to see what it looks like

Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kosmo69
this thread s/b merged w/ the "car n driver thread" where it discusses the 997 "merely average" preformance. Of course as a consumer, i'm going to be biased as i want the best for the lowest possible price. Im going to agree w/ many members here that p needs to offer a better performance/dollar proposition. To me the rumored 400hp for the upcoming car is a joke. If its just a 15-20 bump in hp, then they better have something else up their sleeves like a 200lb reduction in weight. Notwithstanding the differences b/w the 997 and gt3 engines, the least p can do is to offer the 450hp engine found in the current gt3. That being said, i luv my p so give me reason to love the new model more.

....+1

Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 PM
chowyunfatnd is infamous around these parts
Whenever it comes -- I am praying to the Porsche Gods for a 998 GT3 PDK. I love my 997 PDK :-)

Yeah, I know, they claimed they will never build GT3 with the PDK. On the other hand, if guys like me are willing to buy them!!