997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A little more insight on PDK Paddles (OEM /Aftermarket)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
A little more insight on PDK Paddles (OEM /Aftermarket)

I saw a 997.2 TT cab today in the showroom of a local dealership on display and the car was equipped with PDK OEM paddles . On a tangent note from the front I almost had to do a double take to distinuish it . The rear has the lights but it also has these oddly larger rectangular style exhaust tips (blech!!!) . They were even worse looking than the stock ovals on the 997.1 TT which i threw away when I placed my Techart tips .

Back to the PDK paddles . The new steering wheel and paddles look very nice . It's somewhat of a bare steering wheel though as it had an absence of the controls (phone radio ... ). I actually prefer the aftermarket because one can have both the controls as well as the paddles .
The OEM if spec'd on an ordered car is cheaper to buy but I think that if i was ordering the car I would opt in favor of the aftermarket (unless one is admant about retaining a 100 percent stock car) .

The paddle levers themselves were close enough in size and location to the aftermarket to not feeling that either was better or worse to reach .

Just my opinion.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:06 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Is your warranty affected by the fact you installed aftermarket paddles? The stock buttons don´t work anymore, so Porsche can assume the mod done was enought to void your warranty. Did you got any info about it?

J.Seven

Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
7Speed is infamous around these parts
Champion Paddles are good, but I prefer OEM steering wheel whit Paddle

Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Regarding the points presented -

1) Warranty - I am not really worried about warranty even though I recommend it to others on my pricing threads as they are trying to hedge costs. I look at it like this -- my name is on the car's title --not the manufacturer . The fact that these paddles were designed by an affiliate motorsports division of a Porsche dealership as well as installed through another motorsports division of another dealership to me signifies that if I face a problem with my car someone will work with me to get it fixed.
I also did not just install paddles --I have a complete exhaust, software , suspension etc.

The same can be said if someone selects a reputable tuner . It's very easy to see that there are a lot of highly modified and customized cars on this forum -not just in Florida but all over the country as well as internationally. It's very rare to read problem posts by owners who select tuners who have high reputations , stand behind their products, and step up when an engine tuning hurdle presents itself .

If one is adamant about remaining stock --get the stock paddles . However -he will opt out of the phone and radio controls if he does so.

One more point -- I have read many posts by those who have cars which are stock and still find snags in getting it fixed . I have read posts by those who have modded cars and do not . I have read EVERYTHING in between and visa versa .

The key to getting ones car fixed even when stock --is to select quality trained technicians and treat them right . They work very hard and if a customer works with them with understanding and appreciation --they do see that .

2) OEM Paddles -- I see no difference in size and grasping ability vs the aftermarket . Neither appears better or worse .

Last edited by yrralis1; 01-14-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Twinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud of
After Market Wheel with Paddles and Controls?

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I saw a 997.2 TT cab today in the showroom of a local dealership on display and the car was equipped with PDK OEM paddles . On a tangent note from the front I almost had to do a double take to distinuish it . The rear has the lights but it also has these oddly larger rectangular style exhaust tips (blech!!!) . They were even worse looking than the stock ovals on the 997.1 TT which i threw away when I placed my Techart tips .

Back to the PDK paddles . The new steering wheel and paddles look very nice . It's somewhat of a bare steering wheel though as it had an absence of the controls (phone radio ... ). I actually prefer the aftermarket because one can have both the controls as well as the paddles .
The OEM if spec'd on an ordered car is cheaper to buy but I think that if i was ordering the car I would opt in favor of the aftermarket (unless one is admant about retaining a 100 percent stock car) .

The paddle levers themselves were close enough in size and location to the aftermarket to not feeling that either was better or worse to reach .

Just my opinion.
What after market wheel are you referring to? I would really like to upgrade to the new turbo wheel (for the paddles) but have grown accustomed to the multi-function controls and understand they will not be an option on the turbo (at least not yet) and thus not available (anytime soon) as an upgrade.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Twinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud ofTwinspin has much to be proud of
Champion Paddles

Thanks for sharing....I could not find a link on their site.

The paddles look very nice (particularly in Black). I am assuming since you are Champion’s neck of the woods you had them do the install? Do you know if there are other options?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Twinspin
Thanks for sharing....I could not find a link on their site.

The paddles look very nice (particularly in Black). I am assuming since you are Champion’s neck of the woods you had them do the install? Do you know if there are other options?
I actually did mine through the Collection motorsports in Miami . I did not inquire if there were other options as i got then on the first day they were released.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I agree. I am not giving up my multi-function buttons. Frankly I am used to the buttons already, but if I really wanted paddles, i would buy the Champion ones.

Originally Posted by yrralis1

Just my opinion.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:10 AM
911 S is infamous around these parts
Old 03-27-2010, 01:13 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 AM
They look similar to the Champion Paddles but of course one gets the Techart steering wheel which is incredible.

Even if Techart makes one in terracotta (I haven't asked) my limit is one Techart steering wheel and its on my Turbo.