997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

C2S for winter driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
C2S for winter driving

I was thinking about getting a C4S and driving it all year round, but I'd much rather stay with a C2S. What is your experience with driving a C2S in snow and ice (of course, with a proper set of winter tires)?

Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 AM
Mb007 is infamous around these parts
You'll be fine. I have an 07 C2 and its fine in Ontario Canada. Just invest in a good set of winter tires. I got a set of Nokians from my dealer when I bought my car. The 4S might be a bit better...but I don't think the difference would be that much better...IMO.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:49 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Alan
I was thinking about getting a C4S and driving it all year round, but I'd much rather stay with a C2S. What is your experience with driving a C2S in snow and ice (of course, with a proper set of winter tires)?
Alan, I drive mine mostly in Central NJ and NY's 5 boroughs and with a set of Alpin P2 winter tires have been able to drive all winter with EASE. Go for it.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
As long you don't have a steep uphill driveway or live in a hilly area. My previous car 06'E55 with Blizzak snow tires couldn't make it up my snow covered(3+ inches) driveway which only have about 20 degree slope. My C4S has no such problem even in 6+ inches of fresh snow on the driveway. I am here in Buffalo NY area I would never consider C2S as a year round DD due to the amount of snow we get. Maybe it is fine in other northeast region.

John

Old 01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
C2S + Sottozeros are a lot of fun here in Chicago. We don't get large dumps of snow, but we get frequent dustings (2 - 3 inches) and they're awesome.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM
cfos is infamous around these parts
Drive my C2S year-round. Wish my dealer through in the set of Nokians, but wasn't so lucky. They are a great winter tire. As others have said, it isn't a question of driving in the snow, it is a question of how deep is the snow.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
A C2 will be fine with winter tires, but in slippery, snowy conditions a C4S will always be better. In these conditions 4 wheel drive is a big advantage.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:29 PM
oatmealadam is infamous around these parts
Had a BMW M5 and it didn't move in the winter snow. My 4S is amazing for the short period I drove in snow, but I still store it anyway. My Audi was phenomenal in the deepest of snow drifts and I kept driving with summer sport tires ... can only imagine how good it would be with snow tires!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
ahklein is infamous around these parts
Never had a c4, but my c2s is my DD in Pittsburgh--lots of hills but snow rarely deeper than 4-6 inches. I have never had a problem getting around. I do better than the SUVs! I have 18 in Conti Winter Contacts. Tons of fun to find an empty parking lot and turn the PSM off and do donuts! All wheel drive will help climbing hills, but won't affect braking or steering.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
Go for the C2

I have a C2 with winter tires in CT. So far, so good.

Keep in mind that the stability management system (PSM) works essentially as well in both cars.

Good luck
DRP

Old 01-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Steven B is infamous around these parts
I have driven all 4 of my Porsches as 4-season cars. As the posters above have noted, it is all about tires (ie snows!). My C-4 was better, but not enough so to make a change of cars worthwhile. Go for the snows and have a great time!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:06 AM
Jungwook is infamous around these parts
I have just changed from a 997.1 c2s to a 997.2 c4s both manual xmission. The cornering lines are completely different. Learn to drift and you should be ok. I think its mostly confidence and experience anyways. As for me i've survived 8 years of summer tyres here in 4 diff porkers in seoul korea no accidents!!! Don't worry drive like you stole it!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 AM
mnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant futuremnmatt has a brilliant future
I don't try to drive it in any snow deeper than 4" and with winter tires on it is an absolute blast!

This is my second winter driving it through and couldn't be happier. I love being able to smoothly drift around some of the corners on the country roads I live on.

Highly recommended!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:01 AM
brewster16 is infamous around these parts
You've got to see the Porsche "winter driving school" video on Utube. It was shot in Finland..... It's cool!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 PM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
Winter tires - an absolute must! see this video on UK Autocar:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...aspx?AR=246494

Camp4S in Finland, a great way to learn car control on snow and ice (although they were all C4's. The one Cayman S there couldnt make it up the hills!)

Attached Images     

Last edited by cl997; 01-16-2010 at 04:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C2S for winter driving