997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

System Fault see workshop???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
System Fault see workshop???

About to take the car out for a ride after getting the new engine, I am getting "System Fault visit workshop". Has anyone ever seen this message?

Last edited by Porsche05; 01-15-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 PM
oatmealadam is infamous around these parts
Get Durametric ... it's worth every penny for events such as this.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, seen it a number of times. Could be many things. I've seen it from a loose exhaust coupling, O2 sensor in front of a cat, a mis-attached intake connector from an EVOMS CAI, etc.
The Durametric is a worthwhile tool for decoding, diagnosing, (potentially) repairing, and resetting the fault.
The 'return car to workshop' phrase is cute, but by itself quite useless as a diagnostic aid.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Porsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud ofPorsche05 has much to be proud of
So I took the car to the workshop and the issue was the sensor for the front trunk latch. I wish the car would have just told me that. Ended up costing me another $300 to replace the sensor. The things we do for our cars!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porsche05
So I took the car to the workshop and the issue was the sensor for the front trunk latch. I wish the car would have just told me that. Ended up costing me another $300 to replace the sensor. The things we do for our cars!!!
The part is $125.........and 15 mins to change BUT I didn't say anything to you because you had mentioned the motor change...SORRY!

I bet it was from someone washing and drying your car or waxing it! ?
Ask me how I know,LOL!

Stacy

Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 PM
SlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by justatoy
The part is $125.........and 15 mins to change BUT I didn't say anything to you because you had mentioned the motor change...SORRY!

Ask me how I know,LOL!

Stacy
Stacy,
I know it's been a couple of years but I cannot find this part for anywhere close to the $125 you mentioned in 2010. Do i have the correct part number here?? 99761010511 please confirm before I order it. FYI - error message got thrown from removing track tape on front facia ...seems to be a first on all the forums I have checked.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SlateC2S
Stacy,
I know it's been a couple of years but I cannot find this part for anywhere close to the $125 you mentioned in 2010. Do i have the correct part number here?? 99761010511 please confirm before I order it. FYI - error message got thrown from removing track tape on front facia ...seems to be a first on all the forums I have checked.
Part is listed at $225 on Sonnen's online system.http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...icleid=1441602

Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SlateC2S
Stacy,
Yeah the part went up In price...I guess Porsche figured it out that they could make more money off of their flawed design,lol!

Cheers,

Stacy

Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
SlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of lightSlateC2S is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Part is listed at $225 on Sonnen's online system.http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...icleid=1441602
Great - thanks!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by justatoy

Ask me how I know,LOL!

Stacy
How do you know?

I was waxing my car this weekend and heard a strange noise when waxing the nose of the car. Thought maybe my polishing cloth got stuck on something, but couldn't see how. But there was static electricity, maybe that shorted the sensor?

Anyway, I get ready to take my car out to enjoy the fruits of my labor and I get this "System Fault - Visit Workshop" light, which has never happened before. Need to take it to the dealer to see what the problem is, but now I'm wondering if my waxing the car could have some how caused this trunk sensor to fail?

Last edited by Mspeedster; 03-03-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
In another thread there was mention of static electricity in the nose from polishing being able to zap some sensors in the front bumper.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mspeedster
How do you know?

I was waxing my car this weekend and heard a strange noise when waxing the nose of the car. Thought maybe my polishing cloth got stuck on something, but couldn't see how. But there was static electricity, maybe that shorted the sensor?

Anyway, I get ready to take my car out to enjoy the fruits of my labor and I get this "System Fault - Visit Workshop" light, which has never happened before. Need to take it to the dealer to see what the problem is, but now I'm wondering if my waxing the car could have some how caused this trunk sensor to fail?
I have done it three times,LOL! So what I did(after three times replacing the module) is take the headlights out when polishing and it only takes 10 mins! First time will take longer!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 03-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
JustaToy & SecretAsianMan - Thanks for the replies.

I just took my car to the dealer. They said the "System Fault" had something to do with the front-end electronics but could not find anything wrong. They just cleared the code/warning light and said bring it back if the "System Fault" shows up again. It's been two days and so far no warning light. Perhaps my sensor was zapped enough from the static electricity due to waxing to cause the warning light to go off, but not zapped enough to cause the sensor to completely fail? Very strange, anyway I'm glad it's nothing major.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
justatoy, how does removing the headlights protect the module in the front bumper from static when waxing the car?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mspeedster
JustaToy & SecretAsianMan - Thanks for the replies.

I just took my car to the dealer. They said the "System Fault" had something to do with the front-end electronics but could not find anything wrong. They just cleared the code/warning light and said bring it back if the "System Fault" shows up again. It's been two days and so far no warning light. Perhaps my sensor was zapped enough from the static electricity due to waxing to cause the warning light to go off, but not zapped enough to cause the sensor to completely fail? Very strange, anyway I'm glad it's nothing major.
You got lucky,LOL! Be careful.....

Originally Posted by Petza914
justatoy, how does removing the headlights protect the module in the front bumper from static when waxing the car?
My understanding is that rubbing the headlights,while wiping off the wax residue,is the source of the unwanted static electricity...
I never had any more problems after I started doing this,so I assume that they were the issue!

Stacy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: System Fault see workshop???